Daylight Saving Time: Love It or Hate It or...?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fraggle Rocker, Apr 6, 2003.

?

Daylight Saving Time

Poll closed Apr 20, 2003.
  1. I hate it. It should be outlawed.

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. I don't like it but if it does some good I'll live with it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care. It doesn't seem to affect me.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. I like it but if it bothers people they can do away with it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I think it's a good idea. It should be retained.

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. I like it but if it were year-round it wouldn't be so hard on people.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. My opinion isn't listed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Here it is again. Several days in a fog, recovering from a gratuitious, artificial case of jet lag. Risking my life clambering up on rickety office chairs to reset the clocks -- no two of which will ever agree again. Sunday and/or Monday blown by people showing up for meetings an hour early or an hour late. So dark in the morning that I can't look out into my garden while I'm having my tea. So light in the evening that you have to wait forever for that romantic mood to set in. The pets will never adapt, they know it's too early to get up and by the time they grudgingly give in, it will be time to change back... and go through the same damn process all over again.

If the government sent out an edict asking us to get up and go to work an hour early from now on, we'd all flip them off. But when a stupid, lying clock tells us the same thing, we obey the mechanical creature like it was the LED of God, and trundle off like good little boys and girls.

If America is this desperate to save a little energy it should get serious about telecommuting!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Oh man, my whole timetable got thrown out of whack just because my watch didn't set itself an hour ahead like it was programmed to.
    And the loss of an hours sleep, I'm a student, we need every minute of sleep we can possibly get!
    My girlfriend and myself have come up with a plan, ignore DST and convert to the decimal clock. And if anyone questions use we'll say something along the lines of 'Are you discriminating against our beliefs?'

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

wow, big deal for one day your schedule got out of whack.....i mean how hard is it too adapt to a hour change, seriously it's not that big of a deal, in a few days you won't even notice.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I find it amazing how much everyone is affected by one hour less sleep. My internal clock is all wrong. I look at the clock and wish I just had that extra hour. I can realte to standing on chairs, and setting clocks. At school, every time the hour change happens, the janitors change the time on the clocks, but for some reason, the clocks all go about 5-10 minutes off. In a week or so, it will be unnoticable though.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

For a student like myself who doesn't gt much sleep as it is, an hour makes all the difference. And hour could make the difference in my grades at college, or my attitude towards my family or whatever. Taking away that hour of sleep is like taking an hours worth of air from me

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think it's a good idea. It should be retained.

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

We just have to wait until a better system arrives...

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I am also a student and on average i get about 5 hours of sleep a day so i am tired too but in a few days you don't even notice it. Also why is this system still in place. Benjamin Franklin started to save oil back in the olden times but now most establishments need electricity 24/7 regardless if it is daylight or not outside. get rid of it, it only makes the day seems longer in the summer anyway soo big deal you lose an hour woth of sunshine.

12. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

We don't have daylight savings here so I can't say it bothers me.

13. Salty Registered Senior Member

Its pointless now. Get rid of it.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

How wars are used to erode our rights

Not all of us adapt so easily. I'm worthless on Monday and make a lot of errors for the whole first week. Then the same thing happens again in November.

As for "why do we still have it," that's a question I'd like a straight answer to. Getting up in the dark and turning on the lights and maybe even the furnace multiplied by every household in America can't be good for conservation. Most workplaces have the lights on when people are there, regardless of whether it's noon or midnight.

This is one of those things that's left over from WWII and nobody bothered to change it back. It's easy to see how governments use wars as an excuse to get us to allow them to infringe on our rights, and when the war is over we're so used to it that we forget to complain. This is an example of a wartime measure that is absolutely useless now, and the government STILL won't change it back and the people STILL don't complain!

15. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

it's not useless. not to me it isn't. now it doesn't get dark at 4:30 in the afternoon.

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

But again, most people have lights on in their house regardless of daytime or nighttime. Unless you have a big house with a lot of windows it's useless. Sure it doesn't get dark at 4:30 in the afternoon at where you live but if you still have lights on in your house at 4:30 in the afternoon you are killing it's purpose. Also Buidings, subways, skyscrapers, and basically every other place of buisness use electricity 24/7.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yet another clearly unconstitutional action by your friendly government.

So you must live on the very eastern edge of your time zone. For people on the western edge of theirs, it means that the sun doesn't come up until 7:45 in the morning. They can't take care of any outdoor chores as simple as refilling the dog's water and they have to drive to work, arguably the most accident-prone activity of the entire workday, in the dark.

Taking morning daylight away from us and giving it to you in the form of evening daylight sounds like the classic government scam: robbing Peter to pay Paul. If they could find some way to decrease the total amount of sunlight and distribute it uselessly to a building full of administrators they would surely have done that by now as well.

The government has absolutely no constitutional authority to change the relationship between the heavenly bodies and the citizenry. Who's to say that your afternoon sunlight is a more worthy asset than my morning sunlight? Perhaps God or some yogi somewhere, but certainly not the bumbling, shit-for-brains government!

18. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

(Never knew daylight savings time was to save energy! Wow. And I've been going along with it for so long... Damn brainwashing.)

I think DST is fine, I don't mind about the lack of sleep. I'm a student, I don't sleep enough anyway, one hour won't matter.

And about the internal clock messing up - don't worry! You'll adapt in a couple of days!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

See, that's why they made it so you set your clocks on Saturday, so you can recuperate for a day before going back to work. If you really worry about not getting enough sleep, how about trying to sleep earlier? Because you will fall asleep naturally because you're so tired, so it's all taken care of.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Remember that everyone else suffers from it too, so maybe they'll be a bit more lenient at your workplace.