SARS and the world

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by valentino, Apr 6, 2003.

1. valentino Registered Senior Member

I was discussing the SARS epidemic with my friend the other day. So far, everyone who has contracted it has died or expects to. All the countries are getting together now to find a cure for it. If these scientists do find a cure some time in the near future, what does that say about the world's unity in finding a cure for other more threatening illnesses? If this disease is cured next week through the union of the world's scientists, why should it take so long to find a cure for cancer or AIDS?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

I think that there is a cure for aids already but they are not putting it on sale yet because there are so many other expensive drugs the aids patients must buy to survive. Maybe i am looking too much from the evil point of view. Its the samew ith computer viruses. The people who do the antivirus programs create the viruses too or else they wouldnt have anymore a job.

Besides when there is a cure for aids then a new sickness zaids or yaids will devastate the world. And after that another sickness will come and it will continue like that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

<i>"So far, everyone who has contracted it has died or expects to."</i>

My understanding is that 3% infected die.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hannibal Registered Senior Member

It’s ridiculous, people at my university started wearing surgical masks as form “protection” from SARS. It’s absolutely insane.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2003
  8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Media induced hysteria?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Wow, conspiracy theories galore. Only a small percentage of SARS patients die, especially with medical help. I don't know much about viruses, but perhaps AIDS simply poses a more complex challenge than SARS? Not all viruses are equally difficult to cure.

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Not so much a conspiracy as is consequential affect.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

12. valentino Registered Senior Member

It is interesting that the Spanish Flu was an epidemic during WWI
    and now that there's another war and a new epidemic . . .nah, it's just a coincidence.

13. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

It seems to me, i know nothing mind you, that every few years the areas of Viet Nam, Singapore, China, that region, export a new illness to the rest of the world. It's usually not major, and it's usually a respiratory type illness.

Why from these areas, do you ask? Well, because you have people just stacked on top of one another, the populations there are so dense, a virus would have a party over there. What i mean is that with so many people in one area there are many opportunities for a virus to mutate and travel from one person to another..etc

I wouldn't be worried about it..but then again... who can tell