Post a great quote of your own creation...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fredx, Apr 5, 2003.

1. fredx Banned Banned

I believe that everyone has the ability to be a philosopher or at least to think of a great quote or phrase or idea that they believe in. It could be wisdom that you learned from your family or just something that you made up yourself. Think of your own aphorism, truthfull saying or poignant remark and post it here. I'll start:

As somedays are cloudy and others are sunny, sometimes our emotions and emotional states choose us rather than we choose them.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Our Spring Water is Sodium Free. Contains 24 FL OZ (1.5 PT) 710 mL.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

To look at the world and see
    only pain and misery...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

some interesting things that have poped out of my mouth:

"I am, unfortunatly, a person, as much as I may regret it"

"I’m not arrogant, I’m right"

"i have a bottle of rum under my sink if i ever want to losen my morals"

8. Kimo ^^ Registered Member

These are my friends quotes. Please do not use them without permission.

This is the URL to his site. http://members.optushome.com.au/disgustipated/

if you're going to assume anything about me,
    assume that you are wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

life,
    otherwise known as
    that twisted fucking mess you love to wake up to
    every morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

depression is a lonely hole to die in.

while there is still breath in my body,
    there remains hope in my heart.

remorse is the last resort of the thoughtless.

love it or lump it, it's Life.. live with it.

open your eyes and let your mind follow..

why should we, with the power of Kings, act like peasants?

everything dies eventually; even intangibles.
    it's merely the 'how' that eludes us.

you are in control of your own actions and are responsible
    for the ramifications.

truth has a way of coming around.

he who blames his faults on others
    will eventually find those around have left
    him alone so that he cannot mistake who's to
    blame for his misfortune.

chaos looks ordered from a distance.

the sum of ones intelligence can be measured by
    the direct inverse of how loud one proclaims to be such.

evolution is adapting to your environment.

humans have ceased to evolve
    because they've adapted the environment to themselves.

look beyond the obvious;
    then look again further, feel past the ulterior..
    therein lies the devious.

when beset by doubt, remember;
    from questions come answers.

cone theory ...

different motivations and perspectives allow a group
    to grow together and as individuals,
    towards the same purpose.

the same motivations and ideas form disunity as
    each grows to their own needs, further away from the initial point and desire.

a deeper sense of eloquence; lost to us, that i miss so much.

all the knowledge in the world is no substitute
    for the touch of someone who loves you.

:m: :m:

9. fredx Banned Banned

okay...

the point here is that you come up with your own quote and I think it would also be cool if on this thread we could keep the posts short, like 2-3 quotes, so the whole thread doesn't get off topic and out of control.

10. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Life throws a curveball in our direction once in a while to check on
    our progress: the best we can do in the event of a miss is smile
    and hope we connect with the ball on our next swing.

Hope you like it. I think it makes a bit of sense...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. pilpaX amateur-science.com Registered Senior Member

im not an addict, I just cant stop

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

"If yesterday is my greatest enemy then let tomorrow be my greatest friend."

“Empires have a way of dissolving into the wind, like sand cast away from the hand..."

13. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

Truth speaks for itself.

14. The Demi Perfect Registered Senior Member

"Straight, hedonistic bastards; where would we bisexual child prodigies be without them?"

"Precocious is a prodigy's prerogative."

"If you think your criticism is fair, then those around you probably think like it's like sinking in a quagmire of those expensive funfair machines where the mechanical arm picks up the really rubbish teddy bear..."

"Call me elitist, but the step forwards for the human race is making everybody have a v-chip which gives him or her a very light suicidal, jerking feeling in his or her tummy whenever he or she makes a mistake."

*shrugs*

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

"The worst thing a designer may encounter is a client"
    (Avatar)

"If Hell exists, then only in the minds of christians"
    (Avatar)

"Always leave an escape route. "
    (Avatar)

"I have no fear from god or gods, I fear only the stupidity of mankind. "
    (Avatar)

"Our history can show us the way to the future. "
    (Avatar)

"While existing we create our purpose ."
    (Avatar)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2003
  16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Great thread idea, btw. Avatar I like the second-to-last one

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. fredx Banned Banned

thanks for keeping the posts short...

on this one people. I think it will keep this post good longer and allow everyone's quotes a chance of being read. Also, nice quotes so far.

18. fredx Banned Banned

no i am saying that sometimes...

when the posts are too long people give up reading them and never see what the people after them have to say and it might be interesting to try something new on this particular post. Thats what I meant.

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Highly anticipating a response calling me anal.....

"I believe that everyone has the ability to be a philosopher or at least to think of a great quote or phrase or idea that they believe in."

---- Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning ----

To begin with, I've seen very little of this type of discussion (the above is a definition of philosophy) on sciforums. If you define philosopher as one who tries to logically infer an answer- then yes, everyone is a philosopher. Trying to figure out whether or not to pick my nose would make me a philosopher. However, this takes away any prestige the title may have. So, often, the people in philosophy I've spoken to refer to two types of philosophers - the every-day philosopher and the academic. True, breaking us up into two categories like this may largely be a matter of ego (as few will argue, philosophy has some of the biggest egos in academia), but it makes a necessary distinction. An every-day philosopher is more or less what we have here at sciforums. I doubt many of us will one day be professor's on the subject and knowledge to the same degree of those we generally label academic philosophers. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that one must have a Ph.D. in Philosophy to be considered an academic philosopher! Simply, I point out that even those of us amongst the sciforums rabble that do read heavily into the subject will likely never read and study nearly as much as a true student. For instance - how many of you have read through the works of Donald Davidson, or H. Paul Grice, or Hilary Putnam?? It is, of course, possible to be greatly schooled in philosophy without taking a full course at University. Though, I would maintain that it is more difficult and less likely.

Our philosophy forum has gotten better since the last time I whined, but I can't remember the last time I read a great academic philosophical debate on sciforums. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a great, original (or updated, or new) philosophical question posed. Perhaps when Orthogonal last visited (-- edit to add And Pollux's question on the Socratic State was one of philosophy).

Anyway, my point is that I don't think I've seen someone on sciforums I would classify as, in any way, an academic philosopher. I've not seen anything at this site of any truly great intelligence. I've not seen any evidence of any great logic. I've not even seen anything very original. The philosophy ring in this forum is seemingly getting thinner by the day. I remember times when Goofy, Wet1, Tiassa and Cris posted in Philosophy (at least, I seem to remember those days!). I would not consider myself a philosopher and, call it egotistical if you will, but I frankly don't think many of the rabble have read or studied much more than myself (exceptions possibly to Ortho, the aforementioned four, Xev, maybe Pollux and perhaps a few more).

My point in the long run is that you must choose between definitions of philosopher. Either the requirement is the sheer definition of "one who thinks logically", or we look for academic philosophers. In the former case, my 4 year old cousin is a philosopher. In the latter, there may only be four of them here on sciforums.

"It could be wisdom that you learned from your family or just something that you made up yourself"

Learning something from your family or "making up yourself" would pretty much negate it from being philosophy!

Anyone else notice almost every single one of the "original quotes" here has been said by a million other people in a million different ways?

Oh. And sorry for being the asshole of the thread. It's just my job

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Tyler

I agree. Although not always, the unschooled philosophers tend to dally on the is-this-world-really-real-am-I-the-only-thing-in-existence type conversation. While those may be entertaining, it's a question that's been discussed for over two thousand years now (probably a great great deal longer). I'd rather discuss Plato and Nietszche's stuff than much else.

21. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

"Good, at least someone doesn't want to fellate my mouse!"

story provided upon request

22. fredx Banned Banned

I agree...

its true that what has been said here has probably been said in a million different ways but that doesn't make our quotes totally invalid and I think there is something good about expressing what has said before in your own way, whether or not you realize it has been said before.

Anyway, I meant this post to be a fun thing so don't lose sight of that.

23. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

"We are trying to be gods, in a reality where we haven't even become human"