Dual Citizenship Escape Hatch!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by hypewaders, Apr 5, 2003.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

My Significant Other is becoming an EU Citizen!

I can love it or leave it! WoooHoo! The American Brain Drain is officially started- But I'll "love it" at least until November 2004 to decide if America has a terminal case of the nazis. If we don't come to our senses by then, well, I only regret that I have but one life to live for my self.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

A few points...

1) A brain drain means someone intelligent is leaving. You leaving for Europe would raise the collective intelligence, so it isn't a brain drain.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2) Please, by all means, LEAVE. (and two years down the road you'll be back, a full blooded right-winger. Living in different countries does that to one, you know...)

I've lived in six different countries and I'm not an American or Canadian by birth. I am an American and Canadian by *choice*. Greatest place on earth, North America (even though Canada is waaaay to liberal).

Oh and, psst, enjoy the 70% taxes and weird people.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

I suggest that ANYONE receiving citizenship in another land have his/her citizenship in the previous country revoked. Pick one and stick with it until you're done with it - but watch the climate ... they may not let you in again!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"Please, by all means, LEAVE. (and two years down the road you'll be back, a full blooded right-winger. Living in different countries does that to one, you know...)"

I grew up, and began my working life in the Mideast and Europe. I've had uncomfortable experiences with the small but increasing risk of being caught up in reprisals against American foreign policies. Other than that, I am entirely at ease in several (more than 6 if you think it's a contest) "foreign" countries that I have lived in.

The left-right overgeneralizations are becoming so tired and strained as to no longer merit a response.

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I know I will always recognize, love and seek freedom. When that position becomes unAmerican, I will not hesitate to choose.

9. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

And you seek freedom in Europe?

Dude, ...., you're in for a rude awakening.

10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I woke up from the American Dream with a deafening explosion. I hope your own awakening will come more gently, Jerrek- but I doubt it.

11. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

And again I ask to the threaddies "who would you rather have in control"? If EVERY nation wants to rule the world you won't be able to change their goal. You simply choose the more desireable illusion ... and anyplace outside the North American continent is NOT more desireable!

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

In 1938, and for the decade that followed, I would certainly have preferred Bora Bora to Berlin. I've known that eerie pre-warzone feeling of "time-to-go" myself (and yes I'm stayingin America for now).

13. heflores Banned Banned

hypewader is turning 40 and opting for an early retirement. Let the dude retire anywhere he wants, we don't want him hogging down our social security system. One baby bloomer down, 20 miilion more to go.

PS...You better not live in Europe hypewader and collect American Social security...I'll kick your ass if you even think about it. Live and let us live....ok..

14. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

If Mr. Waders does such a thing then everything he stands for - righteousness and peace toward peaceful peoples - is an outright lie. Such a person wouldn't do something like that - or would he?

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Look, if those so appalled by my "escape hatch" had read many of my posts, you would know that I am a grateful and patriotic American. America is undergoing a change that touches on the very nature of who we are. Americans have collectively been willing to sacrifice ideals we purport to hold dear, while a pivotal change in attitude and foreign policy has been occuring with no semblance of a concerted and democratic national debate.

These trends are very ominous if not reversed. Fear, and not rationality, has been driving defacto fundamental changes in government, including the desecration of sacrosanct concepts of checks and balances. Far too easily, Americans are yielding on principles fundamental to our way of life, which were carefully constructed at the very founding of this country.

This is not to say that we are now living in a more repressive country than it was, for example a century ago. I hold no illusions that the US has an unblemished past. We are all confronting a difficult and long-fought process, progressing from a past of racism and colonialism. But rather than attaining clearer collective understanding, we are muddling and in some cases rolling back the progress made.

Portentious changes are in motion that are not fazing most fellow Americans I talk with. I am a registered Republican, because I believe that government must be vigilantly opposed in its natural tendency to gain size and influence beyond its mission of service to the people. A trend is emerging where citizens increasingly fail to question not only the growth of government power, but also hypocrisy in political parties or government. The present Administration ran on a platform of eliminating government excess, and avoiding a foreign policy of "nation building".

With seemingly unchallenged global dominance, the US government is under unprecedented temptation, and is under immense risk of being corrupted by unchallenged power. At the same time, Americans are failing to be interested and engaged in crucial issues, and are apathetic about holding their government accountable whenever power centralizes, strengthens, and takes new initiatives without any semblance of truly democratic process.

America is changing its image before the world, and the response has been overwhelmingly negative. Increased antagonism is accelerating increasing cultural, political, and economic isolation of the US. As this occurs, the fear and anger that has been behind the changes already seen, may likely increase, especially in response to crises of physical and economic security. I am concerned that stimulus-response in this case could be mutually amplifying.

When I discuss leaving America for greater freedom and opportunity, I am not referring to the America of the moment. I am referring to where this country is heading on the present course. I hold America to a higher standard, and I believe this to be a patriotic position that is now in the minority. Americans are increasingly replacing self-examination with arrogance.

Maybe there's a better way to express my escape plan, should it become necessary: I am not considering leaving America- I am considering the possibility that America could leave us all. Because I cherish Her promise of freedom, diversity, and opportunity, I would in that dark future be an exile whether or not I changed residence or nationality.

Because of the changes I see, I am contemplating the possibility of the decline of America as a hope of the world. I am contemplating the loss of the collective American soul. I realize that as in other societies that were perverted by government out of control, there will always be a portion of the population that will be content and unquestioning through anything- including the physical destruction of the country. If I relinquish my American citizenship, it will be long before that- it will be when, with deep sorrow, I have acknowledged the corruption of every promise Americans made to each other in the Constitution, and the perversion of America's every promise to the world.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2003
  16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Cool Post Hype

But the rest of the world is idiotic! They're all potsmoking morons!

Remember: Americans are the master race. We are better than them.

17. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

C'mon hype. If you're a patriotic American and love you're country as you say yo do, then why in the hell are you considering running away from it? Are you a quitter? If you're so passionately affected by what you claim in your posts is happening to your country, then why are you not publicly fighting to reclaim what you say was once an American Dream? Coming on here and announcing you've got a back door pass to get out if you can no longer handle it is nothing less than a frikkin cop out. We may rarely agree, but I've always respected your posts, as redundant as they are.

And besides, if you leave, the liberals have one less vote to change things in '04. Running is just lame, IMO.

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Don't worry Coldrake, I'm not done protesting, agitating, writing representatives, and voting yet. But I won't be part of a repressive and doomed American reich if it comes to that. I'll shamelessly run away in my underwear on CNN live, if I have to.

19. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

the only thing keeping me from becoming a canadian citizen is the cold and the hats with flappy ears

. i've decided on buying an island in nicuragua.

best of luck if you end up changing citizenship

20. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

It'll play better if you do it on FOX with Sean Hannity doing play by play and Geraldo shamelessly cheerleading.

21. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

by the way, Hypewaders, i'd be flattered if you'd hook me up with a nice (as in kind, and hopefully good looking as well) European girl so I could have an escape hatch too. But then again, I guess I'm too young. If I want to escape, it may already be too late to do it easily, and it may be much more difficult by that time. If I'm not dead already. ¬_¬...

22. Salty Registered Senior Member

So you wan't less goverment. I think that is why bush is cutting taxes even with this war. There is not enough money for a large goverment.

Also if you fear tyranny buy a gun

23. EvelinaAnville Registered Senior Member

Oh Hypewaders,

Thank you for that BEAUTIFUL post. My soul (the stifled patriotic flagwearing Betsy Ross loving American one) sang with it. That post makes me wonder how many Germans who did not agree with the party line in Nazi Germany (circa 1930) felt as I do now about a quickly vanishing America. All of those best, original thoughts about the goodness of a people brought to its lowest point by greed and narrow-eyed leadership. Thank you.