Everything was better in the past..

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Soulcry, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

I was just posting a reply to another topic and came up with this idea : everything was better in the past.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The World was a better place to live, Music was better, MTV was a channel where they actually played Music and not Spring Break crap, computer games were more concentrated on atmosphere than graphics, we couldnt watch wars like a soccer game, NBA was much more competitive, people were not so obsessed with communication devices like cell phones, people were more free and not attached to technological devices....... its a loooong list

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Higher mortality rates, lower life spans, less entertainment, larger wars, and more threat of us blowing up the planet.

Even further back:

Leaky log cabins, winter starvation, global religious persecution, inbreeding as a form of entertainment, and no plumbing/toilets.

Even further back:

No clothing, entertainment is banging rocks together, have to hunt for food, are hunted AS food, and die from bacterial infection after stubbing toe.

Very simply, all those things you listed are optional. If you don't like them then get some old music, don't watch the war, and buy an NES.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

You talk like there are no more "Higher mortality rates, lower life spans, less entertainment, larger wars, and more threat of us blowing up the planet. Leaky log cabins, winter starvation, global religious persecution, inbreeding as a form of entertainment, and no plumbing/toilets. No clothing, entertainment is banging rocks together, have to hunt for food, are hunted AS food, and die from bacterial infection after stubbing toe."

All these things are still around maybe not as directly as they used to be but thet are still around in some places on this planet.

The past was better

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Julixa Registered Senior Member

the average peasant in the middle ages if a man had to allow his woman to be sexually ravished by the Lord. If a woman, had a family by 16. The average lifespan was no higher than 35 since life was so harsh and no medical knowledge.

If you got an infection, they called it "elf-shot" because they thought a little elf would go around and shoot people with an infection if you inadvertently insulted him.

They had to sleep in a one room filthy dirt floored hut with all of the farm animals pooping at any time during the night, perhaps on their head. The whole family slept with the animals and each other in one room.

No thanks for the past:bugeye:

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

maybe he meant 10 years ago and not 1000

9. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

In some ways the past was superior (punk rock of the 80's was awesome!), but there are also a lot of things i wouldn't want to trade for the past versions....

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Good and bad exist in both, past and present, but obviously it depends on which era of the past we are talking about. If I go back 30-40 years, I would say...

Better present:
    Standard of living, comfort, health, technological assistance, choice of food, hydroponics

, cars, motorbikes, TV & HI-FI audio-visual quality and probably some more shit I can't think of right now!

Better past:
    Less crime, more respect, more politeness, more good- community feelings, cheaper food, more innocence, no credit cards, less red-tape and probably some more shit I can't think of right now!

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'd like to visit the 19th century sometime. The best thing about pre-20th century time is that there were no nuclear weapons to worry about. Truly a radically different world.

12. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

it all depends on what past you're talking about... american in the 1950's, eurpope in the 1200's, or wherever. there's lots of variation in things being good or bad depending on when are where and who you are. to say things are getting generally better or worse with time is a bit too much of a generalization for my taste.

"Better past:
    Less crime, more respect, more politeness, more good- community feelings"

haha. all this was better 40 years ago? i guess it depends on who you are and where you are. when i ask my parents about life in the south in the 50's and 60's they don't make it out to be that great.

13. spookz Banned Banned

so not true. humans always had a way of romanticizing the past. nostalgia is a neurotic condition where one looks at shit thru rose colored glasses.
    the dynamics are different too. population for one, enviromental degradation another. comparisons have to take all this into account before any conclusions are reached

The old nostalgia was most often delusional, dreaming of a rosy past that never really existed. 'The problem with nostalgia is that it distorts one's perception of both the present and the past. The past becomes a lost golden age where nothing went wrong and the present a cold wasteland without hope for the future.' When society suffered bouts of nostalgia it was usually a sign of disillusionment with the present and uncertainty about the future - causing people to reinvent the past.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2003
  14. spookz Banned Banned

yah. no doubt whitey would simply love a return to the good ole days where things and people were all in their proper place

15. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

No matter what year, what age or what era: there was always stupidity, a threat of war, killing, suffering, and lack of entertainment. It's just that in todays day and age stupidity is spread at blistering rates through internet and spewed upon public through loud and rude cell phone conversations. As for war: well seriously when did we not ever had a threat of war around the world. So is the past really better, for some it is and some couldn't imagine living ten years ago...but the fact is you are here and now and live that, nostaligia is always fulfilled by going on e-bay and buying old school stuff. As for me i'll stick with my DSL and post on..MUHAHAHAHAHAHA....Ok that was unnecessary

16. machaon Registered Senior Member

A superior past

The past is superior, I think, because the world will never end yesterday. One will never die yesterday. And since there are no absolutes in human misery(things can always get worse), it can only be quantifiable in the past. But only tomorrow has the potential to show you how deep the rabbit hole of misery really is. What happens tomorrow may very well make ones past the best part of ones life or the worst. Sure, if I were born in 1109 A.D. I would likely die before age 30, but I would probably feel damn lucky to have arrived at such a ripe old age. I would not have the forethought to lament the fact that 875 years later I could have lived to be an unthinkable 90 years old. Tomorrow, I could win a million dollers and fall in love. Tomorrow, I could be thrust through the windshield of a 1979 Firebird Trans-am and have to spend the rest of my life being fed liquified carrots through straw.-just a thought...

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Bull.
    Try going to the past.

-Slow computers
    -Slow difficult software
    -Small heavy monitors that are not flat.

-No internet.
    -Pretty much no access to information.
    -No downloading: No free movies, music, software, etc.
    Even if you had the money to pay for it, it probably wasn't available for sale.
    (With downloading, you not only get stuff that isn't available for sale, you get it all free.)
    -No email
    -No autoCAD, no photoshop, crappy word processors/spreadsheets.
    -Did I mention no internet.
    -If there was, it was slow as hell.

-Gas guzzling heavy cars.
    -No microwave.
    -No cell phone/text messaging.
    -Laser surgury.

18. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

You're forgetting: no nuclear war. No terrorists. No world on the verge of 1984. Simpler life. Fewer worries.

19. Mr X Guest

It's like talking about whether you want to go back to the times when you were a child. Ask yourself, would you really? We only want to remember the great moments of our pasts, and seem to forget the shortcomings of that period in our lives that would definitely keep us from moving back. Likewise, we take today for granted and look at its bad points, instead of the great things it has to offer.

Some things were better in the past, but not EVERYTHING has become worse...and some things in the present are better, but not EVERYTHING is better than the past. For that, we have only to learn from our mistakes and move forward, not backward.

20. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

What past was this???? When did the Terrorists actually go away????? they are a plague, they never go away. They are like cancer or Volcanoes: dormant at times but rarely, RARELY dead on their own

21. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Some things were better-music etc.

Some things are better now.......greater life expectancy, advances in medicine etc.

The best we can do is stay positive and go on. I think ppl who live in the past are foolish.

22. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Any time before the 20th century. I don't doubt that there were forms of terrorism about, there always has been, however I don't think that they gripped the world with fear, as they do now.

Like I said. Life was simple. You could hide from wars. If a nuclear war breaks out you can be sure that you will die. I will die. Everyone reading this will die. Except for avatar. Because, I mean, who the hell wants to bomb Latvia?

23. The Demi Perfect Registered Senior Member

Actually if we went pre-the United States existing; or even better pre-Christianity and just stopped them from happening the world would be a lot better.

But then they're like slavery. Evil, but y'never know where the world'd be without them.