Spirituality of Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Slacker47, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

I for one greatly enjoy studying cannibalism. I just wish it wasn't against the law, so I could try it for myself. Anyway... what are the most interesting cannibalistic societies or rituals that you have discovered.

I heard of this one group of people who feasts on the burning bodies in the Ganges. It was pretty cool.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

I recently saw on TV (literally, like a day or two ago) that they discovered Dinosaurs were/became cannibals. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see in depth stuff, but this interested me, because it seems to lay a ground work for our own (human) destruction. Instead of Dinosaurs being wiped out by some meteor/disaster, they killed themselves off, leaving the last ones standing as cannibals (t-rex's eating t-rex's). I can easily imagine humans ending that way if we don't blow ourselves up first.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oleander Somniferum Registered Member

.....Eating someone......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I guess in magical sense that means integrating someones soul.

So, tell us something more about it

and btw, human flesh is similar to pork I think, but don't try it

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I saw a show on TLC about Menengitis Long long long time ago. It mentioned that menengitis might have first been observed in human beings in an island ( i have no clue where) where the ritual in the inhabiting tribe was to cut up the dead's brain, share it among the tribe and eat it. The dead brain matter might have started a rare form of Menengitis.

Also in my history class in HS i was told the Mayans had great scarfices to the sun god, where the heart of the scrifice was pulled out...or um..rather ripped out and the reamining dead body was thrown down the hole. The dead body eventually ended up at the bottom of the temple where worshippers were allowed to take home any part they wanted to cook and feed to their families for good luck. Kinda...kilss your appetite doesn't it.

( I am not sure if it were the Mayans that did that...infact i don't think they did that but another major civilization in that area and at that time did, just not sure as to who ?)

8. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

Cannibals don't last very long when 'civilized' people find them. The Spanish killed off the Carib Indians as well as many of the Aztecs and other S. american tribes. Even still, the Africans are busily hunting down the remaining cannibals. And yes, humans are supposed to taste like pork. The other other white meat. :m:

9. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

The meningitis mentioned is actually Kuru, a brain disease like Meningitis that eats the brain into a mush with holes throughout it.

The Mayans did practice these rituals along with the Aztecs. Although, the Aztecs sacrificed alot more people during the period prior to the Spanish arrival. This is not to say that they were insane, thier religious beliefs actually supported these sacrifices.

In regards to Hotsexy... the Spanish also converted alot of Natives to Christianity. Although, the natives died from diseases very rapidly.

I read an article in school that said over 10 million Carib Natives died from Spanish disease, religious killings, or enslavement.

Dinosaur thing looks cool, but did they initially kill each other off or did a natural disaster occur that left enough of an ecosystem to sustain some quality of life? I ask because there are many many theories concerning natural disasters around the period of dinosaur extinction.

10. river-wind Valued Senior Member

a very large portion of preditors will revert to canabalism if their normal prey is not available- from spiders to pirahna to lions to humans. The dead body of a fellow wolf is just as much food as is a moose.

I think humans have an aversion to eating fellow humans because we evolved it - those who didn't like the idea were less likely to contract desease, and therefore were more likely to survive.

Of course, empathy played a huge part, as well- If you don't want to be eaten, and you can empatize with another person, how can you justify eating them? Social pressure then plays in here- if the society decides that canabalism is "wrong", then it is less likely that any member of that group will practice it, for fear of being thrown out.

Many cultures who pratice canabalism today seem to do so with the idea that eating the flesh of a friend allows their spirit to remain in the culture- you are sort of absorbing their spirit, but backwards. By eating them, they become a part of you, so they're not really dead.

11. It’s supposed to be caused by a 'prion' (a protein that seems to act like an enzyme), just like mad cow

the Mayans too, haven't heard this, only about the blood-letting (tongue &/or genital) & sacred pools (cenotes)

I thought they were diseases too & I don't like their accents either

12. Ah, you're sick dude, stop watching Red Dragon & Silence of the Lambs, uh, I vote that you become a vegetarian, & remind me not to travel on any ship or plane that might get us stranded together somewhere...

so much for hindu vegetariarism, I won't go there either

13. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

I do not particularly care for those movies because they focus too much on the investigations and not enough on the art...

There is great deal of evidence that suggests the reason humans rose above certain food chains was due to cannibalism. We had more protein which led to larger brains and stronger bodies. Lots of other animals eat each other. Does anyone know of plants that eat themselves?

14. Revolution Registered Senior Member

Lil Jeffery Dommer Jr!

So we would taste like pork. That sucks I was hoping it would be like the ultimate steak. But hey throw some BBQ sauce and spice it up, yumm yumm!

Dont worry after this up comming WW3, if you survive, you can eat someone.

Also they did a study, that the more attractive someone is to the person the more they would consider eating them.

Would put a new ring on Sex and Dinner!

15. freefighter187 Registered Senior Member

who cares

eating alreadt dead people ok
    but killing them and eating them is sick, do you wanna get eaten?
    Everyone has a right to not be eaten

16. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

I heard of this one group of people who feasts on the burning bodies in the Ganges. It was pretty cool.

Do you mean there are OTHER ways to express ones spirituality?

17. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Taking the mana from someone was often an act of respect. Sometimes it was done to steal an enemy's power.

Then we learned about prions.

18. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

Re: who cares

"do you wanna get eaten?
    Everyone has a right to not be eaten"

Hahahahah! Aww c'mon, can't I nibble just a little bit?

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

A dead body dosnt care if you eat it. Just dont eat me while Im alive. Unless you do it Monica Lowinski style.

20. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member