break the umbilical cord

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sycoindian, Apr 2, 2003.

1. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

why are parents always bearing down on you even when u get older? why dont they learn to mind their own friggin business? im sick of my parents... im seriously considering moving out.. even tho' i make my own money, i've stayed at home cuz my family thinks its important to have family unity... even tho' we bitch about things everyday... my parents will never understand me and i dont wanna live with them... i know many ppl on this board have moved away from their families.. its just tougher for me cuz i come from a collective culture... any ideas about how to just cut the ties and get some space? im just upset.. why is it such a bad thing to break away from family? animals do it all the time... im just so lost... anywayzz... wud like to hear from ppl who have moved out and made their lives...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

Move m8, move..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Parents will always make your business their business, there's no getting around that. The only way to get away from it is to get outta there..

In the end, you should just be glad that they care enough to smother you with their concern.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I have not moved away from my family yet but i can see you are caught in a age old dilemma "can't live with em, can't live without em"......if they really do get on your nerves and make you upset often then you should move out because by staying you will only strain the relationship. I understand very well where you are coming from, i also come from a culture where family unity is honored and preffered...oh and get used to it..they'll never stop controlling your lives...at some point you'll have to just tune them out and practice your right of autonomy. I say you move out but stay in close touch with your family. You'll still be there for them but have your space altogether.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

heh heh heh. I'm not a huge fan myself, but be glad they are there. :m:

8. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Well, see I'm 20 right now and studying at university. I study co-op, meaning I work 4 months, study 4 months, work 4 months, study 4 months, and so on.

January - April has been a study semester for me. I lived in a house here in Waterloo with four other guys. Home is about 80km towards Toronto. Moving out rules, for a time. I love the freedom, I love living with friends, and I love doing what I want, when I want, how I want. I don't like doing my own laundry, I don't like paying rent, I don't like having to cook for myself all the time, I don't like having to clean everything all the time, and I miss lots of free stuff such as electricity, telephone, internet, etc., from my parents.

May - August I'm going back home and I will be working full time.

However, my parents pretty much let me be. I have a good relationship with my family. I do my work, don't bother them, and they don't bother me.

9. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

See, Jerrek's parents don't care about him... Think how empty your life would be if your parents were like his, never hanging over your shoulder, never studying and critizicing your every move...

This post has no meaning or coherence, just move along...

10. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

I don't think they'd approve of half the stuff I do, from the weird practical jokes, to running through the girl's showers naked, to kissing boys, to skydiving (I told them afterwards), to bungee jumping (haven't told them yet...), and so on... There are just some things in life which you don't talk about with your parents. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm a bad boy, just a litttle ... wild.

11. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

How are you on mountain climbing? That's some wild sh!t.. Not as skydiving or bungee-jumping, but it's one cool sport..

12. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

Climbey, limbey!

13. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

Another climbing pic. This one bouldering, which I do most (cheap and no equipment necessary).

14. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

sargentland,

yeahhhhh.. ur right.. its just that im just really pissed about this now... i'll have to take some drastic action

jerrek,

i used to go to waterloo but i quit... hated my program... too bad the pubs on campus are closed now... its cool that ur family lets you be..

others,

thanks for your posts.. gonna do somethin about this issue...

15. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

I've never done mountain climbing, but I'd love to try.

What program were you? Yeah, they closed down the Bomber... No more liquor on campus. Louis' and Filthy's ain't complaining though.

16. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

i was in the environmental resource program.. optimistic idiots.. i was very disillusioned by it... so i left.. the bomber and fed are closed i heard last... too bad... had some good times at the bomber.... im sure ppl are takin advantage of outside bars and pubs... its an aight town...

gonna move out sometime soon after i come back from oz... can't take my stupid parents anymore...