abbreviations (sp)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fafnir665, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

why is it that people can type out words like "tommarow" abut spell "today" as "2day"? wouldnt it be just as easy to type "2marrow"? if your going to go through the effort to type "tommarow" shouldn't you be able to type "today?

Just my two sense, how about shoveling up your most grotesque mutilations of the english language! only those done on purpose of course

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

What your subject is about is a style common to the internet and chat. Where speed is more important than correctness. That really doesn't have a place on a forum where you have a lot of time to lay it out, just how you want it.

One of the things about forums, is legibality. Being understood is more important that how long it took to put it up on post. This is one of the heartburns of many here at the site. Mostly they are the younger members that have grown up with the internet.

Much is made of being able to read ones post without having to decypher the content to do it. There are those here that read these words that have been singled out for comment for that very reason at this site. Most either leave or conform, eventually.

To make a post with such abbrevations is usually a sign of laziness on the posters part. Not because they don't know how to do it but because it takes effort for them to actually communicate within the confines of acceptability.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I think that if you're to be taken seriously, you need to talk properly. If someone comes up to me with a common accent ie 'Alwight geeezer, 'ow ya doin'? I obviously won't take them seriously. I am extremely well spoken, not too posh mind, but I do like to speak properly with correct grammer and pronounciation. I feel the same way with things like Chat Room languages and Text languages. I consider them common forms of communication thus don't take people who use it seriously.

And as Wet1 has said, I really don't want to spend five minutes trying to figure out what the hell someone has just said when it could have only taken me twenty seconds, tops.

A prime example was a thread on discrimination and it took me forty-five minutes to read the thread from beginning to end. The reason why, Asguard has a slight problem with typing. It's kind of spelt as it's pronounced (I know the name of this, but I just can't remember it). Nothing against Asgaurd, I could see where he was coming from, but the inability to read it properly annoyed me and hindered me.

That's my Two Cents

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

These deficiencies in spelling and grammar also lead to misinterpretation of posts. I've had to read so many that were so mangled that it hurt my eyes. After I got over the aesthetics and managed to actually read some of the things they were saying, I sometimes still couldn't comprend their thoughts. Some of it is due to the poster not being fluent with the english language while other times a word is misspelled and totally throws off the meaning of the sentence. Again, the latter is attributed to laziness and this laziness can affect how others view your post. It's like listening to rap songs on MTV or the radio where they leave out words. I never understand what the hell the song was about until I hear the unedited version. And I do agree with Thor, if you are to have some credibility then legible posting is a must.

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I have grown up with the internet chatlines and forums ever since I could spell. The abbreviations come naturally. Things like btw - by the way, and lol - laugh out loud, and others have become a part of my generation's language. In the days of passing notes in school, the slang was horrible, and if really hard to understand on my instant messengers. I'l avoid using such text on this forum

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Its different for me bacause I am used to taking people sreiously that use "e-mail jargon".

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

"da thing abut thum posts iz dat dey are tryin to b madz invidulaistic and allz u kno"

....ok you're right it is beyond annoying.......Decent typing for all or you shall be ridiculed on your childish ways of typing...ok not so much as ridiculed but more of as in told to fix your style of typing through gentle encourgement and then followed by swift fish throwing.

10. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I've been reading some threads lately... and decided this was bump worthy... it wasn't a problem for a while, but it seems that a few members are just doing it was to much... an example

Names and details have been starred to protect the innocent

Last edited: Jun 22, 2003
  11. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I absolutely agree with Thor.
    Proper language, in writing and in speech, is a sign of good manners (to me at least) and respect. Lack of such is the sign of the opposite.
    What annoys me even more are people wHo tyPe LIkE thIs.

12. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

|-|0\/\/ 480\_/07 1337 5|033|<? |)0 '/0\_/ |=!/\/|) 7|-|!5 70 83
    1a/\/\3 700?
    0/\/1'/ a 14/\/\3|2 (4/\/ (411 1337 14/\/\3.

87\/\/ ! |)!|)/\/7 3\/3/\/ /\/07!(3 4/\/7 48|23\/347!0/\/5. 1337
    4/\/ /\/37 514/\/9 (0/\/\3 /\/47\_/|241'/ 4|=73|2 |0|24(7!(3.
    45 |)035 7'/|0!/\/9 !7.

ns can b vry anoyin if u think u r beter than every1 eles and think every1 needs 2 talk like u.

sry 4 d rant. just had 2 5|034|< my mind

13. dnottin Registered Member

everyone knows abreviations are to save time, but whose time does it save, if i have to spend 10 minutes figuring out 10 short cuts in spelling i must be wasting time somewhere. the writer of these must have to think in shorthand also, so maybe their ideas are a little short on thought, ya think, just my thoughts on thinking thoughts.

14. dnottin Registered Member

hey fafnir665 wouldn't 2maro be easier.

15. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

There's no a in tomorrow :bugeye:

16. FatalTalon Registered Senior Member

Huked awn foniks wurked four mee.

w007 w3 15 1337.

....someone hurt me.

~F8L

17. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I think the point trying to made is, this isn't instant messaging. This isn't IRC, AIM, ICQ. You have the time to use proper spelling and grammer when you formulate replies, so why not use it? Why purposely make your argument less effective, or purposly save time, while making your representations less effective? You have all the time in the world to reply to a post, make it worthwhile to yourself and other, read replies with the majority of words abbreviations.

18. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Here's a whack:

2 more row(s)
    L00 -
    xtrafaqgunza
    ailure-o-pho bee a
    tragcall
    immobill-iced
    as-teammates
    rebell-leen
    eel-spendr
    prac-tickle
    or-d-n-airy
    me-rackle

Add me (okay, I have no abbrev, except no. 2)
    And some extra whack:

noterday=tomorrow
    portant=unneccessary

Else?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  19. valentino Registered Senior Member

Once all of us die off, our children are going to use this type of online communication completely and think it is stupid that we would write things out the long way when it seems so unnecessary. 'Tis a shame to some, but the English language is always progressing and changing into something newer and more efficient.

20. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

more eficient, maybe.... but what happens when no one knows how to write by hand?

21. You must mean "'tomorrow".

That's right. Legibility is very important.

The process of pronouncing is "pronunciation".

I'm having a hard time comprending this.
    Getting lazy, Halo? Couldn't manage another syllable, could you?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2003
  22. valentino Registered Senior Member

I was talking about spelling reform with my sweetie the other day. And he told me the number one reason people are against phonetic spelling is because that is the way many people online classify who is intelligent and who isn't. I think this is definitely the case for in this thread. Spelling doesn't really matter as long as the point comes across in a coherent manner.

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Um, sometimes people simply type fast and miss the right keys, ok?

The amt. of grammar errors is definitely not a show of intelligence, it is a show of certain character.