What if the brain..

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Soulcry, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

I read some articles about the brain and i should say that i am scared of my own brain now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What if the brain controls a person rather than the person controlling it. For example you dont want some things in your body to happen (not things like moving your hands), more complicated things) but what if the brain takes control and starts to play around with you? Is this the case for people in mental institutions? I think even "normal" people have sometimes problems controlling their brains.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I've had this happen before- when I was a kid (about 5 or six), I had this thought I could not get rid of. the harder I tried to get rid of the idea, the more vibrent it would become. I ended up losing it for about aday and a half- I was completely disconnected from the outside world, because my inability to control an image in my own mind. it really sucked.

the brain can do a lotof funky stuff, and you don't always have a direct method to control it. My expirience taught me that there is always a back way to control the mind, but that is onlyhelpful if you are functional enough to find it.

sometimes people just "break"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fathoms Banned Banned

isn't control just an elaborate illusion in the first place? Brainiologicaly speaking of course....

Even so, I suppose Sleep Paralysis must fall under this catagory..."hello body, I'm here too... up and adam.... got a long day ahead of us...c'mon......!"

I'd like to contribute some real insight into this discussion however as per usual my brain won't allow me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

LOL. funny phrase.

of course your brain does lots of things you don't know about and can't control. lots of stuff is involuntary. some important things, like controling your breathing and heart rate and what not.

8. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

No need to fear your brain, it serves its purpose well as the coordinator of all your autonomic functions. Imagine how hellish it would be if we all we had to think about was:

heart beat
    breathe in
    heart beat
    breathe out
    blink
    initiate digestive juices
    heart beat
    breathe in
    heart beat
    breathe out
    open mouth
    heart beat
    breathe in
    etc.

Hmmm.. makes a great poem, eh?

What do you mean, the brain takes control and plays with you? It is in control already!

I mean, the very fact that you are thinking about your brain was initiated by your brain!

I suppose if you are worried about stress or impending insanity, try meditation.

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

ARGHHHHHHH...sorry no ofense to you but it really ticks me off when people refer to their brain as if it was another organ servicing them....helloooo don't you realize that your brain is you. You are not a separate person witnessing your brain do amazing things for you, you are your brain, It's just that your personality and thinking are not witness to the autonomic side of you. The mere fact of you even thinking of such a question is intiated by your brain because you are examining your self. I think that way of thinking arisis from the involuntry functions that you do for YOURSELF, NOT WHAT YOUR BRAIN DOES FOR YOU, the brain (you) does amazing feats with you even knowing it. As in heart rate control, blood flow, hormone distribution, reflexes action etc etc etc. The fact that you realize these things happen for you without your will you percieve that someone is their doing it for.

Also how you mentioned how your brain takes control and plays around with you, that can happen but not in the way you described. If the Corpus Callosum( the bridge that connects the two hemispheres) is cut off it really does become like you have another eprson in you. There have been stories of people having trouble dialing a phone number because their left hand dials something else and their right hand another. The two hemispheres act as separate brains in one body causing nightmares for some doing regular household deeds.

10. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Ahh the traditional western mistake, the separation of the mind an body - consciousness and the brain. gotta love it.

11. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

You as you think of as yourself is your brain. There are multiple parts to the brain. You are a part. Your subconcious controls the rote tasks like breathing and processing food. Meditation clears your mind and does some weird stuff. Also, there are people who can learn to control their heart rate and blood flow. Shouldn't really mess with that stuff thats already taken care of. :m:

12. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

Ok, I am my brain dont get angry sargentlard

By the way i didnt say that my brain controls me. I just thought that it could do amazing things if it wanted to do.

Let us remember the Pavlo's dog experiment. Is it possible to make that dog forget about what Pavlov thought him. Is it possible to delete something from the brain like computers.

13. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Sure, it's called a "baseball bat".

I'm not sure if we ever truly "forget", except for killing off the subject. It's probably floating around in there, but in another consciousness.

14. Empath The Shadow Protectorate Registered Senior Member

what if you(your "soul") and your brain were not two entities but rather one?
    which in turn leads to does youre brain controll your body or are they the same and conected?
    i dunno just a thought
    ~Empath(The Shadow Protectorate)

15. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

It's controllable to a certain extent yes. It's not like it's possible to stop your heart or race it through the ceiling if you wish it. If it was some buddhist monk would already be known for it I guess..

16. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

Its not fair we are actually all amazing creatures but cant do anything cause we dont have the "how to use" book with us. I remember once i tried to move an object by just looking at it (when i was 10 year olds) I looked at that objecy for almost an hour but nothing happened

I did this after i saw a monk in Asia melting ice by just sitting on the ground. All the ice around him melted.. what an energy.

17. Twinkle Toes Pickle Hat-Wearing Rocker Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by sargentlard:
    What about meditation? Your brain can't turn itself off, can it? (I know it's got to be more than just clearing your mind when meditating, i.e. out of body experiences).

And doesn't your brain control your personality and thinking? Personality and thinking depend on events and experiences that you have, are, and will witness[ed/ing] to you, and your opinions. You're dependent of how your brain interprets the info.

Hmm... 'your personality and thinking are not witness to the autonomic side of you.' People can think while they're asleep. Scientists have done experiments on people where they played educational tapes of some sort, and when the patients woke up, they had learned what the tape had been playing. You can do that with babies while they're still inside their mother's womb - the rate at which an unborn child's brain can recieve messages is phenominal.

18. fredx Banned Banned

Soulcry...

I think the best way to answer your question is to listen to the song "sedated" by The Ramones.

19. valentino Registered Senior Member

so, why isn't it possible to keep our head in jars like Futurama yet?

20. onemonkey Registered Member

it is! give it a try.

21. onemonkey Registered Member

river: you think you had troubles, what about these folks...

Obsessive Repugnant Thoughts;
    "A subtype of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), the illness is called OCD with primary obsessions. Characterized by persistent, unwanted and repugnant thoughts that are not acted upon, the disorder affects men and women equally and can develop in childhood. The cause is unknown but symptoms deteriorate with stress. The most common OCD primary obsessions involve sexual, violent or blasphemous content and may include repugnant thoughts about God, hurting a loved one or inappropriate sexual acts. "

sciencedaily link

22. Twinkle Toes Pickle Hat-Wearing Rocker Registered Senior Member

People tell me I'm obsessive-compulsive...

That sounds a lot like me.

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

hm, I think I may have that, actually. I have a constant barage of images in my head, and most of them are not plesent. for instance, I enjoy watching deer graze in a field, however while I am watching them, I have an ongoing battle in my mind wherein I have to beat back images of the deer being run over, mutilated, me shooting them, drinking their blood. Things I would never do in real life, and I hate to even think about, but they just occur. It's a very difficult thing to deal with.

Thankfully, I have never, and will never act on them, as I find them horribly repugnant.