Inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Fafnir665, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Okay, bare with me for a few, and follow these instructions.

Think of some words, or slang, that has to do with cancer, maybe five or ten, write them down if you want, actually, please write them down.

Now put a star next to the ones you think people may find funny, the general public, you dont neccesarily have to find them funny, or comic.

Now that thats over with, think of some words, or slang, that has to do with insanity, maybe five or ten, and write them down too.

Now put a star next to the ones you think people may find funny, the general public, you dont neccesarily have to find them funny, or comic.

post your answers to both questions, and when 3 or four people have replied, i'll post the question regarding the answers. I'm forced to add, THIS DOES HAVE A POINT, its not mindless dribble that belongs in the free thoughts portion, it has an psycological point.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Okay, i'll get this party started

Think of some words, or slang, that has to do with cancer, maybe five or ten, write them down if you want, actually, please write them down.

tumor
    lump
    growth

tumor
    lump *
    growth

Now that thats over with, think of some words, or slang, that has to do with insanity, maybe five or ten, and write them down too.

crazy
    cookoo
    fucking nuts
    skrew loose
    psycho

crazy *
    cookoo *
    fucking nuts *
    skrew loose *
    psycho

Alright, now you guys

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spookz Banned Banned

why do you trash the science forums? request the post moved please

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

how is this trash? theres is a point to it, check your pms

8. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

growth
    sickness
    tumor
    parasite
    death

growth*
    sickness
    tumor
    parasite*
    death

psychology
    french
    nuts
    pyscho
    killer

psychology
    french*
    nuts*
    pyscho
    killer

9. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

theres been some lack of response

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but anyways ::

Okay, now that i have some replies, most people find that their answers to the "insanity" question are on the whole, more funny. Why is this? Their both serious illnesses, so why do people find it easier to laugh about insainity, but not about cancer?

10. spookz Banned Banned

umm
    cos nutcases are fun to screw with? easy to identify with? insanity doesnt usually kill?

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

tumor
    death*
    metastasis
    growth
    lump*
    hospital
    research
    radiation

mental*
    idiot*
    mongol*
    brain*
    misunderstood*
    life*
    restraints*
    local*
    poo*

now...what do I win?

oh...i'm too late...insane...I'm like a cancer invading a perfectly good thread.

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Insanity can result in farcical behavior; cancer usually doesn't.

13. Olaus Registered Senior Member

This is a fascinating thread. I can't belive some one wanted it killed.

I would suggest cross cultural surveys to see if this result prevails. I suspect it would across Europe.

One possibly reason for the typical outcome is the use of "insanity" as a plot device for slapstick and other forms of comedy.

Another would be that, while various forms of cancer readily threaten huge demographics, insanity is *usually* very evidently constricted to certain at-risk groups (People with ill relatives, people with severe personality disorders, past trauma, or brain damage).

Yet another, if I may, could be the lack of specificty concerning insanity. People are undereducated about mental illness, but the average man knows a little something about cancer. Down to the wire, I doubt many people would find schizophrenia or psychotic mania hilarious if they knew about it (Well, manics are sometimes very funny actually, but it passes and becomes scarier quite often).

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

maybe cancer is not so humorous, because it is obviously deadly and it can happen to anyone.

Everybody can get insane also, but somehow you have the feeling that it is more unlikely (if there are no problems with insanity in your family). You feel more in control and not automatically doomed. This whole feeling might change of course when you are actually insane or have to deal with an insane person.

15. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Personally, i think the media has had a large part in influencing peoples views on the appropriatness of "making fun" with the issues of insanity and cancer. Most often, issues concerning insanity are taken lightly, joked about. The term "insane" has become, in our youths vernacular, a term which carries the feeling of accomplishment, or awe. While cancer has fundraisers, commercials, and collection buckets at gas stations. On the whole, cancer is taken much more seriously then mental illnesses. Maybe its the physical symptoms, maybe its the realization that it can happen to anyone, maybe its the fact that mental illness has always been with us, but only recently have people become aware of cancer on the whole

anyways, more thoughts when im more coherent,
    faf