Help me!! I've been wronged!! What do I do?!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by ~The_Chosen~, Mar 31, 2003.

1. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

This is for the Youth of the Year scholarship. I lost to a candidate that I surpassed in every criteria for selection. It is a $1,000 scholarship for college.

Read the linked article on what they are judged on. I want to go to the nationals for this and this is my case:

My competition:
    • Has less volunteer hours than me. Just joined the club this year. Total of less than 1 year in the club.
    • Her academic record is under a 2.0 GPA and she is ineligible to play sports in Department of Defense Education School rules.
    • I out perform her in every single criteria. Seriously. I’m not under-evaluating her at any level.
    • She is a Junior and I am a Senior, wouldn't it make more sense to award this a senior going to an damn expensive college?!

Me:
    • Four full years of commitment to the Club and community.
    • Volunteer of the Year, AP Scholar, high school valedictorian (GPA 4.6), accepted to an Ivy League. Top cadet in my JROTC (highest ranking). Student council Parliamentarian. Vice-President of National Honor Society. Chairman of Model United Nations. Basically, I am the top student and leader in my school.
    • I am also the top student and leader in my community. Boys & Girls Club of America president (the club that gives out the award) and Keystone President (same as the national youth of the year winner). 4-H Technology President, Korea Regional (KORO) Technology Team Leader (attended National 4-H Technology Conference).
    • I played sports, Captain of my Volleyball and tennis teams, received the All-Conference Award (regional level) for Volleyball and team MVP.
    • When I was interviewed by Georgetown, Cornell, etc. they looked at my resume and said it was “best practice.” They were very impressed with all the things that I have amassed on it and how much I have accomplished.
    • I have worked every summer since my freshman year and volunteered during the summer attending countless leadership conferences.

That is the case, how should I deal with this problem? I am thinking about going up the Chain of Command at my base. This title is important to me because I have worked for it the moment I joined all the clubs.

I just found out that her mother knows one of the judges in the selection committee and her mother is one of the teen coordinators of the club. Could this be a case of nepotism?

What should I do? How should I handle this?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You MUST be 2nd runner-up right?

Shoot her.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

no, "runner-up"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Fight it. Or, you will have to realize certain people get treated differently than other people in life, it's sad, but its how it is.

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Fight it.

9. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

I will

And I think I will file for Discrimination.

What should be the correct legal procedure?

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Two threats almost always get action in these types of situations...

Litigation.

Press.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Kick her in the nuts.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

They are probably doing it to fill racial quota or something like that....i think they did that with me..but it was in my favor..

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Is it discrimination?
    You can probably get the $5000 plus punitive damages. Maybe double or more. Not sure.

14. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I hate it when shit like that happens. I've been wronged many a time(though not to the magnitude your describing). If there's anything I've learnt from those situations it's that you have to tackle them and make 'em beg for mercy. If someone comes to kill you, then you can kill 'em first. Be the difference!

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

sargentlard noted that they might have been trying to fill a quota. Probably -especially if she was a member of some minority. Hypertokenism anyone?

Discrimination, well, I guess you'd talk to a lawyer, but fighting in court would probably cost more than $5000.

So you really just should kill her and skull-fuck her corpse.

16. mister62 Good Gravy Registered Senior Member

First you must decide a few things:
    Is she...
    Prettier than you,
    More popular than you,
    Part of a minority
    A person of influence (i.e. the mayor's daughter)
    Really poor

The world is cruel and it doesn't change, give it up, student loans aren't that bad. Besides, you sound like a smart and resourceful person, you could find an alternative. Put this occasion behind you as soon as possible. Many 'wrongs' have happened to me as well, but I have been able to put them behind me and become happier because of it.

17. Nightpoet Registered Senior Member

My god you make me sick!! Holy achievements!! How do you have time to do al that??

Anyway, ya I'd fight it.

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Mister,
    You say that loss has made you a happier person? Victory has always been the thing to satisfy me, because it reminds that no matter how F***ked up the system is, I can always manipulate it and get it to work for me .

19. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

from http://www.bgca.org/members/youth_of_year.asp :

"Donald Smith, a 12-year member of Boys & Girls Clubs of the East Valley in Tempe, Ariz., was named National Youth of the Year by Boys & Girls Clubs of America... "

So, let me get this straight... in the first sentence, we uncover TWO inconsistencies in what you say, which are in bold. :bugeye:

Did anyone else bother clicking the link? What's the real story?

20. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

He looks like the TEEN SECTION president: they have a YOUTH
    SECTION and Y. Sect. president as well.

21. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

She is average in looks, nothing pretty.

I know I am a good-looking guy, I am charismatic and know how to deal with people.

Definitely not. I'm the first in my school to make the Ivy League, teachers all respect my hard work and dedication. I'm a top cadet in my JROTC where I outbrief the commanders and community directors.

I play more sports than her, soccer, tennis, volleyball, and so on.

She is latino, but that doesn't matter, I am Vietnamese.

Both minorities.

She's the daughter of one of the Children Youth Services Staff members that is a close friend to one of the judges.

Nope, I am more poor than she is. Both her parents work, only my dad works.

I won't put this behind, I already went up the Chain of Command and they will redo the whole thing.

HER BOSS, said that I was far the superior candidate and she doesn't understand how I lost. So she called up 8th army and they will redo the whole selection thing and select a new panel of judges. They are goind down.

Furthurmore, it is NOT about the money, I already received offers from the Navy, Air Force, and Army regarding 4-year full scholarships. My college education is covered.

I'm concerned about the leadership experience if I attend that national conference.

22. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Errr, I think you bitch too much. If u are all u say u are, then I think the first things u need to do is get drunk and go have sex. U need it. U will get back the $5000 in the future + more. Also the judges can counter sue and get one of themselves/friend to sit on the trial.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think the point was that ~The_Chosen~ said this about the person that won the scolarship:

~The_Chosen~ said the competition:
    Was female and just joined the club this year.

The article says:

Weiser_Dub was pointing out that there seems to be discrepancies in the story.