God Bless America???

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by bossa-nova, Mar 30, 2003.

1. bossa-nova Registered Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

All this religious hype

Forget about God, God doesn't bless any country and theists only say "God bless America" because, frankly, it sounds good and they would love to believe that.

America has a secular government. So forget about the whole "God bless America" stuff.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

*Walks in on crutches*

"God bless us, everyone"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

that was well said....

God will bless individuals, anyone who seeks him, and just because god blesses a person doesnt mean that wrong will happen to them

8. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Blessphemy!

9. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Whoever wrote this is an idiot. I'm not even an American and I feel offended by the stupidity.

1) Not every country. France, Germany, Russia, China, Canada... Those countries. And the above four (leaving out Canada) are the ones anyone cares about. Frankly, I don't see why these nations opinions have any weight whatsoever on the issue. France and Russia have ridiculously large financial interests in Iraq. German President Shroeder only became anti-war when he realized that not being outspoken on the issue would lead him to have a minority government in his 2002 elections.

2) The majority of the world also didn't want to go in and take out Hitler either. A much larger majority, at that (if you can even call the pro-peace side a majority today).

Last I checked, democracy has to do within a nation. The United Nations is not a democracy. Not by any means.

And thus the proof of the author's stupidity comes out. Last I heard it was something like 3% of Americans thought Iraq had a part in 9/11.

You mean...... Like 1930's Germany?

Why should it have started with North Korea? North Korea would have been an incredibly difficult and long, and bloody war. And for that matter, the world would have been even more against a war with NK than with Iraq.

Well, yes. Pardon me for being, you know, human - but I really don't want to start a war with a guy who's very read to drop a nuclear bomb on South Korea.

So then Hitler shouldn't have had to have disarmed?

Any proof? The author seems to be demanding proof for a fair amount of claims and yet never gives any for his. How.....predictable.

Geez. If god really does exist I bet he's wondering why humans call themselves the "intelligent" animals.

11. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

Nah...like 1940's japan

thats all i have to say

12. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

Not agreeing with the article, though it feels like "God bless America" is just something for politicians to say in order to get cheers. Sorta like Iron Maiden saying "Rock on New Yoooork!"

BUT, I just had to correct you on some misinformation..

Hate to break it to you, but the opinions of a country's government officials are very rarely == the opinions of its ppl.

Just here in Sweden, we've had demonstrations in Stockholm with 10.000 ppl involved and in Gothenburg with 6.000. That's 1,5 mille of our entire population out protesting. Not just disagreeing but actually going to a rally to protest against our goverment. And still our government exports weapons to the U.S...

Democracy means "rule of the people". Democracy can be practiced within a country club, a nation, an organization, even in an organization involving several countries. At least the UN are trying...

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"1,5 mille of our entire population out protesting."

Yes - out of a population of almost 9 million, eh?

"At least the UN are trying..."

I fail to see how the Security Council, the alphabetical rotation of leadership and other such methods in the UN are democratic.

I gtg, so that's all I can write at the moment.

14. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

I just read today that its about 40%. A joke. The biggest laugh to me on that subject is that even the white house says that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.

I don't believe "disarming" was ever one of hitler's options.

15. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

If you don't trust that that amount of people in a modern society that goes out demonstrating against something that in no way will affect their personal lives in any way, reflects a huge political movement among the general population, just read this. It's taken from Sweden's largest & most popular news-site.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/special/storfragan/visa/0,1937,8364,00.html?resultatvisn=nytt

The Q: is it right of USA to attack Iraq? Ja=Yes, Nej=No

But I seriously digress, all I'm trying to say is that the actions of a nation's government does not have to correlate with the opinions and will of the nation's population.

16. Circe Registered Senior Member

The word 'bless" is derived from an old Germanic noun "blódan" which originally meant "to consecrate with blood, sprinkle with blood".

To all who say "God bless America" - be careful what you wish for.

17. bossa-nova Registered Member

HITLER

The stupid people here in this forum that compare Saddam with Hitler forget that doing so they are weakening Hitler!

Saddam is very bad but Hitler was a monster! They are not the same. And: forget the past. Hitler is history. We live "today", in a completly different situation.

What you don't understand is: when people are against the war in Iraq this does not mean they like Saddam. Everybody hates Saddam!

Please open your eyes: the question here is "how"! This war is bad because: this war is illegal, most of the nations are against it (even the arab nations), this war is increasing hate against the west with consequences for the "future", many innocent people are dieing and the iraqi people are showing that they acctually don't want to be "liberate" by the americans - even worse: exiled iraqis are going back to Iraq to defend their country against the americans!

You can win a war with bombs but you will have lost the "hearts" of the people for ever. If my brother is a bad person and he makes me suffer and you kill my brother to "liberate" me from him I will hate "YOU" for ever!

I myself live in Austria and know a lot of germans. You won't find an austrian or a german or a japanese (countries bombed by the americans in "liberation" wars) that likes the way american "liberate" people!

18. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Don't be an idiot, bossa. I've not compared Saddam to Hitler. What I have done is point out a flaw in a person's arguement. You cannot claim an arguement is a maxim unless you can apply it to all possible situations.

19. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

Nonetheless Tyler, i do hear alot of comparisons too. Its ludicrous. Its just another tactic to make people afraid.