upcoming planetary alignment

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by whc240z@aol.com, May 24, 1999.

1. I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THE PLANETARY ALIGNMENT. E.G. DATES;WEB SITES;LINKS. IF ANYONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME PLEASE E-MAIL ME. I AM NEW AT THIS COMPUTER BIZZ AND I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON THIS FOR DAYS. THERE IS TONS OF INFO ON SPACE AND SUCH BUT I CAN'T LOCATE INFO ON THE UPCOMING ALIGNMENT OF THE PLANETS. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED FROM,DORI

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Davespace7 Registered Member

There will not be an alignment of all of the planets for possibly a millennium. As far as two planets lining up, that may happen within a few hundred years. I think.

------------------
    Send me your comments.
    davespace7@aol.com

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Actually

There will be a planetary allignment 5th of May 2003..

Too bad this is coupled with the theory of the 12th Planet, or Planet X proposed by Zacharia Zitchin.

I cant remember the site URL, but if you look for the keyword "Etemenaki" you should be able to find it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Happy hunting.

------------------
    "All i say is keep looking".

[This message has been edited by H-kon (edited July 13, 1999).]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fujitzu Registered Member

May 5th 2009

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So what's in these alignments apart from looking aesthetically pleasing?

9. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I would like to comment that you are a nubtard, posting in caps without even registering.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

A fear factor in planetary alignments derives from Chaos Theory. It's been awhile since I've read up on such things, but when the periodic cycles line up in such a way, there is a chance (however small) that the whole thing might just blow apart. Planets scattering willy-nilly.

I forget the source where I read that at, so it's quite possibly pseudoscience.

This next is almost definitely pseudoscience. People are afraid that the tidal forces involved in a full planetary alignment would wreak havoc on orbital mechanics.

Anyway. Is there really supposed to be one on May 5th, 2009?
    With these new planets being discovered in the Kaiper Belt, the alignment might get cancelled, eh?

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd wouldn't call them planets, but that's another well known discussion/problem.

Thanx for the input, btw, I didn't know such myths/theories.

12. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Heh, I'm sure he read your response.. 6 years ago.

Talk about one helluva revived thread, lol.

- N

13. blobrana Registered Senior Member

>>May 5th 2009

Hum,
    Jupiter and Neptune are quite close then, but hardly worth mentioning....

(I assume you mean our solar system) i imagine the next big alignment will be around two thousand years time from now.

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I would also like to comment that whoever revived this thread is a super-nubtard, and should be killed.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

On May 5th, 2009, the planets look like this;

Er, what alignment?

and on May 5th, 2003, they looked like this;

Again, no alignment.

Why can't woo woo's look up facts?

16. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

About 1975-1980 some scientists with real credentials published a book called The Jupiter Effect, which described an alignment of the major planets in 1984. They claimed that it would have cataclysmic effects. They knew that what they were saying was nonsense and one or more of them recanted years after the book was published (probably because they wanted to reestablish their credibility in the academic community).

I do not think such an alignment will occur again for thousands, perhaps millions, of years.

Coincidentally, In the 1970's there were more than the usual number of preachers talking about the end times predicted in the book of revelations. Some of this was due being in the last quarter of the second millennium. Some was due to arithmetic based on adding some magic numbers to the date of the creation of Israel. Perhaps the authors of the book were aware of this religious movement and expected it to be a good time to write their phoney book.

The end time preachers cited the book as scientific support for the disastrous events prophesied in the book of revelations.

17. Ganesh Registered Member

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

This alignment was a couple of years ago. I remember...
    I don't remember the date, but I remember it happened...

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

As posted previously, I remembered a grand alignment happening in 1982 and described in a book called The Jupiter effect. I have discovered that my memory was a bit off: the alignment occurred in 1982, not 1984.

In 1982 all nine planets were on one side of the sun, although not in a straight line. The 2000 & 2002 alignments involved only about 5-6 planets. In one of these alignments, the Earth was on the opposite side of the sun from the other aligned planets.

Minor alignments of 4-6 planets occur every 20-30 years, but a grand alignment of all nine planets is much rarer. I am not sure how often a grand alignment occurs.

The book was a lot of nonsense about cataclysmic events being caused by the alignment in 1982, and the authors (who knew they were writing nonsense) should have been ashamed of themselves.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, in March 1982, all the planets were within about 100 degrees on the same side of the Sun. Hardly an 'alignment'.

21. Lucas Registered Senior Member

Given that the message of the OP has date of 1999, I strongly suspect that he/she was alluding to the planetary alignment of May 2000, when Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn were all more or less forming a line

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/alignment.html

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  22. macravel Registered Member

Alignment at March 10 1982

Hi, in that occation of 9 planet alignment at the same side of the sun, I was 2 years old, and I woke up with an sing on my right arm, it was like a tattoo, but disappear 4 hours after, it was like Jupiter sign, I dont know Why? Who?? did me that... some of you know something like this????

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Shh. You are one of the chosen. You will be contacted shortly. Wear a red carnation and blue boxer shorts.