Self-replication robots?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by ChildOfTheMind, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

What if while trying to create the perfect robot, we accidently spawn a race of self-replication nano-bots, that learned to instantly adapt to it's surrounding and have deadly adaptions. As well as, improve their imperfections every second. Until PERFECTION?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blindman Valued Senior Member

There's no such thing as perfection.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

kind of a limit thing. They can continually improve and mathmatically they will reach perfection.....somewhere around time=infinity.

Also, if this stuff interests you. Read Michael Crichton's new book "Prey". Good read...FULL of bad science in some places (actually good science taken to an extreme that could never actually be reached). But what a really fun and cool book. will probably be a movie one day.

-AntonK

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Kinda stated it pretty good there. They can only improve themselves so much before their constant need to imporve themselves conflicts with the fact that they can't possibly more. Then the question arisis that will they eventually harm themselves, a sort of a reverse cycle just so they can continue to proceed with their only desire and job: to improve and heal themselves

8. thephionex Registered Senior Member

someone has been watching too much sci fi movies

9. Capibara GrandfatherOfAllKnowledge Registered Senior Member

they probably just won't evolve

10. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

i think he stated they were programmed to evolve towards perfection, well, okay, a freak accident started the evolution, but he still stated they evolve

11. Capibara GrandfatherOfAllKnowledge Registered Senior Member

that doesn't mean tey'll continue evolving once they understand there is no point in doing so

12. MFrobotH43D Registered Member

Blindman says:
    This is true.

AntonK says:
    Even if there was such a thing as "time=infinity" there still wouldn't be a such a thing as perfection.

In biology there is only relative success for a given environment. self-replicating bots will be no excetion.

13. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Nether are we perfect or imperfect. Its just a human abstraction that has no real meaning. It must be tied to something that is quantifiable. I.e. The diamond is perfect in respect to, it has no perceivable flaws.

ChildOfTheMind should have quantified the idea of perfection.

I think the line between robot and machine is a fine one. Soon computers will be produced from information contained in DNA or DNA like molecules. The line between life and machine is fuzzy.

So your question, I think should be.. Should we fear the unknown.. Or should we fear that we could make something that would render all life obsolete. OR stop playing with nuclear bombs or we will all go blind.

We should not fear science. We should embrace change. We have the right to create what we want..

Lastly… Nano-bots.. I would be very unsurprised that the first practical nano-bots will look like a viruses.. ohh in a few hundred years I hope the first artificial bacteria will be produced..

14. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

I think perfection is more or less of a figment of reality people say nobodys perfect, however a computer is a thing, nobody ever says nothing is perfect, and something can be perfect if it can fulfill everything it can do, without contiuosly setting higher and higher possibilities.

15. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

Are these nano-bots pre-programmed, or always being in contact with someone, or 'something'...? :m:

16. Blindman Valued Senior Member

I think word you looking for is Autonomous. Yes I think so.. It would be difficult to control 1 billion little robots. One would think that they would require some level of self-control.

17. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

I'm wondering, what were these nano-bots created for? :m:

18. Blindman Valued Senior Member

They will be created to make the perfect Ice cream, the largest diamond, cure cancer, build homes on the moon, stop your farts from smelling and much much more.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The people around me will be so happy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

No really Nanotechnology is awesome, if they create it as a bigger topic, then I want ot be the moderator

21. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

go back to preschool

22. Patriot Registered Senior Member

Someone's been reading Michael Crichton.....Prey is an awesome book. Made me think quite hard.

Patriot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.