Are we really that elvolved?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mojo, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Mojo Registered Member

Are we really that evolved? I mean sure we cann evaluate and access situations more than same apes, but we are using taht tribute for all the wrong things. We are not that different from other mammals in that we fight over land and dominance.

I dont nessacesarily agree with at theme in The Matrix that humans are viruses but it was food for thought, humans should be united as a whole, this would allow our race to realize its full potential.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I don't think we are nearly as "evolved" as we think we are thats for sure.

This is going to sound silly but there is just one little part I liked:
    I was reading an alleged government conspiracy out of boredom and "apparently" the us government came into contact with aliens 50 years ago. The "greys" or whatever crashed here and started making deals with america, they offered america technology in exchange for the right to do tests on its citizens, this made some other human-looking alien race make contact with us government and warn them not to do business with the greys, they warned that the greys were a decietful species and also that us humans were not even spiritually prepared for the technology we already possess, let alone new fancy and ,even more, destructive technology. They said the greys had simply run out of resources on their own planet and were trying to trick humans into taking their resources also. They offered help in fixing our planet and fighting off the troublesome greys but the us decided to go for technology over spiritual well being so the humanesque aliens abandoned us to get what we deserve.

Believable or not its a cool story, and what I really like and rings glaringly true is the line "we are not spiritually ready for the technology we already possess", this is obvious, I mean what short sighted brainiac came up with this "society" in the first place? Clearly it doesn't blend well with a planet that has limited resources and a fragile eco-system.
    Our brains may be physically superior to the other animals on the planet but we are, by far, the least experienced when it comes to surviving as a species and it shows.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mojo Registered Member

hmmm

I think the man problem or downfall of out species is we are ruled by our desires and emotions. Sure it isnt always a bad thing but to much is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mojo Registered Member

ps

The emotions that control us the most are greed, power and sexual desires, surpress these to an extent and i think thats what woudl seperate us from other mammals

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

our potential to inflict as much pain and mayhem as possible?

9. Mojo Registered Member

No..

No to explore teh universe and recieve a greater understanding about our race and teh world we live in...

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

don't we already do that?

11. Mojo Registered Member

yes

to a certain extent we do but i think that extent has reached its limit and to go beyond it we must unite as a race

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I disagree, if we don't regulate our own population , who will?
    Its a shame but the only way there can possibly be a future for humanity is if we keep killing eachother. In this day and age with medicine increasing lifespans and saving virtually dead people everyday our population growth isn't going to slow down.

13. Mojo Registered Member

hmm i forget what book it was but a man generated a disease that affected every womans wombs and made them unable to concieve a child then ragulated the population by aftifical wombs...

14. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I'd venture that if we really understood our species and our universe, we wouldn't see a need to explore. the universe can be seen in any grain of sand. you don't need rockets to explore the vastness of the galaxies.

my opinion, of course.

15. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

And I am sorry to say this, but while it is your opinion, it is not well grounded. The population is out of control and much of humanity is too ignorant or shielded to realize the present danger. Sure it would be nice to stay on Earth forever, but we are running out of resources.

Prior to the Industrial Revolution, England lost most of its forests (as did Germany). Luckily, America was there to pump out the steel needed to keep the economy going. Where is the next "America." Obviously not on this planet. We're going to have put our shit on the line and get some space travel going.

16. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

*looks at thread title and sniggers uncontrollably*
    sorry i couldnt resist lol....
    but being serious i think we're starting to swirl down the sh*tter... I dont know why but i feel thats where were going with the nukes n everything

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

My opinion is humans should die with the planet they killed, any other way would seem like a great injustice to me. Like an arsenist setting a childrens hospital on fire and locking the doors on his way out.
    But, humanity was never one to feel guilty so I'm guessing as soon as our lack of a future on this planet becomes more apparent alot of money will be spent on space travel and the possible colonizing of other planets, even though if we started now we could save earth.

I can't see how earth's entire population could ever be set out to space, I predict a small colony will be put on a self sufficient space travelling city that will set out to explore for new worlds, I also predict poetic justice, with the spaceship eventually experiencing the same problems as earth, becoming overpopulated and becoming essentially a fancy space coffin.

18. John Mace Registered Senior Member

The idea that any animal is "more evolved" makes the false assumption that evolution is directed, that it is somehow sending humans on a course of evolution. Organisms CHANGE in response to environmental circumstances. That change is not going in any particular direction.

It's more accurate to talk of societies as more or less evolved. To a large degree, we do direct the course of our society. But I would agree with you that humans are best understood as being a type of animal with an evolutionary heritage, like any other animal.

19. Allahs_Mathematics Mar'Ifah Ahl As-Suffah Registered Senior Member

why is there an implication of positive progress when it comes to evolution .

Isnt evolution merely a product of natural selection , i cant see why there has to be a "we go better" idea behind it .

Sure we got better ...but not in that sense .

If we faced problem A , our natural selection proces produced creatures that were capable of solving A , so what's B got to do with it ?

Hell yea we've evolved , havent u remarked the complexity in changes compared to the minimal creatures , cuz we were just like that once .

Did u evolve means ? Di u change alot ?

Yes we did

Was it good ?

No really , pretty useless actually , but thats a different discussion .

20. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

Are you related to anyone famous named Adolf? Having less babies would work much better than killing each other.

21. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

Are we really that evolved?

No

22. Smoke Shoe Water Registered Member

Somehow I got to fit that mundane discourse together… and give it, its righteous tribute:

And then they all say: “Whatever happened to that word, you know...

…PROGRESSION?”

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You can't think of evolution as a linear process that moves forward and causes some things to be 'more' evolved than others. Things just try to adapt to their environment as best they can; when the environment changes, so do the organisms. It isn't the sort of process that has a teleological end.