can sciforumers rebuild civilization

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by spookz, Mar 25, 2003.

1. spookz Banned Banned

so here we are, recovering from emp, dust clouds, minimal sunlight, infertile soil, blah. nothing works, everything is in ruins.

it rains, a blade of grass pops up. we the survivors huddle in our cave complex and brainstorm!

what can we do??

ps: if some rules have to be laid down before proceeding, do so

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

hmm..my first thought: reproduction. must carry on the species you know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

We all need food, shelter, clothes, a written code of conduct and dispute settlement, water, and DSL.

We should have a land fill for waste, water source for bathing, toilets, a source for fire, and computers.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

will this be plato style reproduction? ::crosses fingers::

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

he he

And just how do you propose we start building computers and setting up DSL networks wjen all we have is dust and a blade of grass?

If no one has even invented a language yet, how do we create a written anything?

Hey spookz, where are we on this?
    Do we have a language?
    Is this like the dawn of civilization, or post-nuclear holocaust or what?

:bugeye: Are you planning something?:bugeye:

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

We could use the language that exists in our memory to compile a new language and dictionary. But that would come later. The first step would be to get ourselves organized as stated above.
    The next step would be to create some type of power supply.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think you are getting WAY ahead of yourself here.

We don't even have hammers made with sticks and rocks.
    How do we create a power supply?
    Do you mean electric power?
    We don't even have wires or anything to power.

Or did you mean some other type of power supply.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes, I meant that after the first phase where everybody is taken care of, the next overall social goal would be for us to combine our efforts in order to create a power supply.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think we should focus on building a utopia. Civilization is gone, what has civilization done for you? Forced you to work 9-5, forced you to live out a monotonous, unfulfilling life? We should not re-build what has already been destroyed. None before us have had a chance to create utopia. Now we can do it because the slate is clean.

It's a tough dilemna, where do you start? The bell just rang, I have to go, I'll be thinking about this today. When in utopia, do as the utopians do...

13. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

Since we have our cave shelter will not be a major concern. The very first concern should be food and water. Then next comes order. We establish a fair system to run things and once that is in place we can look for resources to create tools. And at night we make lots of bunny love.

14. spookz Banned Banned

i need people with skills. the first order of business (since we are fucking like bunnies) is to feed our growing population. the cave complex is getting cramped. a settlement outside has to be established close to a source of water and decent soil.

who here knows how to construct a rudimentary dwelling? who here can till the soil and grow something? corn? potatoes?

items we already have. fire, crude stone implements.
    what else?

15. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

I'll volunteer myself as the farmer/builder. When I was younger we grew little peppers in our backyard along with mint leaves, tomoatoes, peaches, pears, persimmons. Those green tomatoes were the best, yum yum. And as far as building more shelter for our expanding population, when I was younger I would always make tents out of blankets in our house. So I can do that too.

However, since it takes 9 months to have babies, we can continue on our course of mad bunny love and worry first about gathering food and planting for the future. For now our cave will suffice.

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'd like to focus on educating the kids, developing a legal system etc etc, assuming that I was voted in to such a position. I wouldn't want to do so alone. Also, I think I'd like to explore the surrounding territory, I mean, we're assuming that we're all in the same place, which means that we've all been moved somewhere.

edit to add: are we presuming that there is absolutely nothing left from the previous civilization that we all came from?

17. spookz Banned Banned

if we get stuck, i guess we can discover old technology. a paper mill, printing press etc. however it would be more realistic to have someone here who has real life experience with operating what we discover, ie: if we cannot figure out paper, we are going to be carving shit on rocks, until a sciforumer comes along that knows this particular tech

?

so far
    we have ventured outside, found a decent spot with water. we have halo with a veggie type garden. pollux teaching the young uns and formulating a system of justice (previously we used to sneak up and slit throats while the victim slept).we need dwellings, any engineers here? what about weapons to hunt animals? any survivalist types here?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2003
  18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You can make a temporary hut in all sorts of methods. One is to bend small trees and tie them together for a frame work. If you have hides sown together you may use that for a covering. Grass bundled together with small green vines may be used for thatch if you don't.

If you have a machate and an axe, you can make wooden shingles (or shakes) from some weather resistant wood, such as cedar. Draw knives for working green wood may be made from any straight piece of metal. (provided you can find such) A shaving horse to hold the green wood for working is a matter of fitting wood together.

Small game is a necessity. The hide is useful. Larger game is also a necessity for things like the sinew for bow strings. Hide may also be used to make slings.

The first plows were made of hard wood. Not really durable but will get the job done.

Domesticated animals is another thing that would be useful.

Metal working is necessary to make items that could be used to further the process.

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

You just blew up the world, again. Even the most simplest laws can become very complex. Much like the law; don't kill. Well, people will start to interpret it. It's okay to kill when your defending yourself, but if you started the fight, then you weren't defending yourself, you were trying to kill the person. Also, if it's an accident, or if it's premeditated. Simple laws become more complex, which is why you have to be specific.

Educate the kids, to become artists and writers. Teach them tolerance, to love everyone. Sciforumers need to focus on what we do best, write, think, visualize, paint, draw, etc. So in other words, focus on culture, not law, not technology. Focus on things that are going to represent us.

So in other words; don't make a computer, paint one. When you have nothing but culture, you have nothing to fight over. That computer that you created can turn into a missile, which kills. That painting that you made will stay a painting.

20. spookz Banned Banned

excellent
    wet has just directed us to construct dwellings using trees, fronds etc. cosy!
    we also utilise animals for agriculture (plows-hardwood)

metal is a problem. we have to know how to mine and extract.

21. spookz Banned Banned

it would be more realistic if textbooks are not referenced. a vaguely remembered idea can be useful to others

22. spookz Banned Banned

coffee, thats nice and all but i really really want to bust this joint and go out into space.

please?

23. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Kids need to learn justice. The trick is just to say--don't kill, regardless of the situation. Don't fight, regardless of the situation. Do your best, regardless of the situation. Agree to agree or agree to disagree, regardless of the situation.

I'd say that basic knowledge most of us learned in elementary school and early high school would be learned first over the course of, say, seven years. Then, the student would be able to go into a course of study that they enjoyed, and would be able to switch out of it whenever they felt like it. They'd stay for as long as necessary, I guess, and then go to work with what they learned in the real world.