drugs etc..

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by xsashacorex, Mar 22, 2003.

1. xsashacorex Registered Member

I have a problem with all these sXe kids these days(if you didnt know what that is.. its straight-edge) They way they say it they sound like people who DO those kind of things are dirt. Just because i drink and smoke the mary doent mean your cooler than me. It also seems being sXe has become a trend.
    I hate when people go on and on, lecturing me about how drugs will ruin my life. And in the other post, also being lectured for smoking. Sometimes "drugs" can ruin your life. Depending if you abuse it or not. i dont care if your anti-drug. Im not a drug abuser. Im not fucking up my life. In fact, im having a great time.
    If your looking up on information on drugs, dont just look at the bad points to it. You have to see the pros and cons.
    And. If you dont like it, dont do it then. Who cares if your friends do it. Its their life. If they take advantage of it, well, its their problem.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What's wrong with Straight-edge?
    I see no harm in what they beleive.

No concsious attempt has ever been or will be made to alienate those who don't necessarily adhere to the straight-edge philosophy. Straight-edge refers to a philosophy that's most basic tenets promote a drug free lifestyle. It developed as an offshoot of the punk rock/hardcore scenes of the early 1980's when the term itself is believed to have been coined by Ian Mackaye, in the self titled song, while he was the singer of the seminal hardcore band, Minor Threat. Mackaye eschewed the nihilistic tendencies of punk rock, promoting instead the simple (almost simplistic) philosophy of "don't drink/ don't smoke/ don't fuck."
    In the 12 years since the demise of Minor Threat, these simple beliefs have transformed the minds of scores of teens worldwide. Increasingly disenchanted with societal ills, young men and women adopt the straight-edge doctrine as a blueprint to better first themselves, and then the world in which they live. While the original definition of straight-edge only included the rejection of mind altering substances and promiscuous sex, modern interpretations include a vegetarian (or vegan) diet and an increasing involvement and awareness of environmental and political issues.

As noted, straight-edge grew out of the punk rock/hardcore scene and so music plays an important role. The Teen Idles, an early 80's Washington, DC hardcore band, and something of a precursor to Minor Threat, can arguably be called the first straight-edge band. Since that time there have been hundreds if not thousands of bands who've so labeled themselves. Early bands included Minor Threat, SSD and Uniform Choice. In the mid to late 80's, straight-edge hardcore reached a zenith, especially in the greater Metropolitan area of New York City. This atmosphere led to the creation of Gorilla Biscuits, Bold, Wide Awake and arguably the most prolific band of the era, Youth of Today. While the bands of this period did much to popularize straight-edge, they also contributed to its closeminded and antagonistic aspects. The attitude between straight-edge and the rest of the world often took on adversarial tones during this time, largely becoming "The positive youth crew versus people who drink, smoke and/or do drugs." Many people dislike straight-edge and its adherents because of such intolerant views.

Straight-edge today, while nothing like the "halcyon" days "back in '88," still offers a viable and positive lifestyle. Bands such as Strife, Mouthpiece, Earth Crisis and Snapcase, continue to proliferate and bear the standard. While its detractors often claim that straight-edge(rs) are no more than suburbanite, cliquish, fashion victims, few can argue that the philosophy is still valid. The drug-free lifestyle has left its positive impact on more than one wayward youth. Perhaps the ideals and ideas are more pertinent today than ever as the focus begins to reach beyond affecting merely oneself to altering and improving one's society and environment.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

This sounds like you don't see drugs as a bad thing...
    And then you say it's a problem? Your post seems to say that if people want to take drugs the that's fine but they shouldn't force their habit onto others, and non-drug users shouldn't preach or make such a big deal about drug users. Is this correct?

I know because I take drugs I don't expect others around me to take them, and because they don't take drugs they shouldn't expect me not to. Each to their own, as long as no harm, in real terms, is done.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

Well, if you like them do 'em.
    I've found that people are so caught up in their own lives and don't give a damn what you (or I) do.

8. xsashacorex Registered Member

yes.. why yes it is.

I agree with what you say. Its just, like i said, the people who lecture others. including myself.
    I dont go around telling people to do drugs. So why should they tell me to stop?

9. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

I've found that people's perceptions change if they find out that one takes drugs. Whereas previously one may have been regarded as a sensible young person, the discovery of drugs consumption changes one's identity. It becomes part of ones personality. One can suddenly be taken less seriously and becomes degraded. The choice to smoke leaves instead of drinking rotten fruit is frowned upon and does cause people to change their perceptions of the taker.

10. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

Drug testing at work would be one of the con's of smoking..I'm given the pee test every so often. So, I don't do drugs.

11. Manic Hedgehog Registered Member

I'm one example of a person who chooses not to smoke, drink, use drugs, or have casual sex. I have a desire for my life to stay on track, and those things are liable to mess things up for me. It's a personal conviction.

I've never called myself straight-edge, even though I fit the requirements or whatever, but I think it's a good concept for some kids. Just like drug users hang out together, sometimes the kids who choose to keep their lives clean need a group to associate themselves with. In the past few years, with the growing punk/indie/hardcore music scene, straight-edge has been established as that group. Kids who want to identify with something can do so now with straight-edge, and I think it's good for that reason. I don't personally need to call myself straight-edge, but for some kids it may be what keeps them strong-willed in their beliefs, and for that I commend it.

12. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

I hope this doesn't come in in England!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2003
  13. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

hmm..I've worked under the influence of "being
    very sleepy".
    Just as dangerous, IMO.

14. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well some people have addictive personality when it comes to drugs or drinking and their lives and their families lives get ruins by this....you're lucky you don't have a addictive personality...but some do and these kids might do some good...and just like your opinions matter so do theirs and just like you can't force your ideas on other neither can they.

15. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

Define your goals and what you use to reach them.

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

wow

wow Demo your first post and a intelligent one...i agree with you..there should be more drug users like you..then weed might just be leaglized.

17. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Again, as with the "moral vegetarians," think/behave however you want, I don't care.

But the second you tell me how I should be living my life is the second I lose all respect for you.

18. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

My view on drugs is as long as its nothing beyond :m: Its fine with me. Other stuff is kinda dangerous even without experimentation, but I wont force my beliefs on anyone.

19. shadowpuppet Registered Senior Member

if the dead are not raised, then let us eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die

20. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

xsashacorex-

if you're so against straight-edge, why do you have the stupid x's around your name? isn't that a straight-edge thing?

I also have a problem with straightedge. Its cool to be drug free, hell, i quit drugs two years ago and am thrilled about it. However, these self righteous fucks are against anyone and everyone who even tampers with the shit. They start fights, they are (usually) overly christian, and (usually) really irritating. If you're against drugs for your own reasons, that's fine, but if you're against it because some retarded straight-edge dogma tells you to be, then your a moron like the junkies.

PS: their music usually sucks too.

21. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Hrmmm....

1. Isn't Anti-Flag straigh-edge?
    2. Don't you like Anti-Flag, reformedtopunk?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

wow, how did you know i liked A-F? i've got a stalker.

and no, they aren't straight-edge. most of them are drug free, but i know one of them drinks occasionanaly.

"I'm not vegan and i have had sex, so some hard-line kids tried to kick my ass.
    If you're not like them they want to clean your clock.
    They're nothing but a bunch of jocks!
    They're anti-choice, they're fascist youth, their songs all sound like metal tunes!"
    -"Indie sux, hard-line sux, emo sux, YOU SUCK!"

I'm not sure, but i think this is applied to Straight-edge too. Hence the "anti-choice" bit.

23. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Alright, I'll let it slide this time...

BTW, got the info off your site