Can you read a book or movie marque in your dreams?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Several weeks ago I had a dream in which I noticed a movie marque. My dream ego wanted to know what movie was playing and focused attention on the marque. The lettering was incomprehensible, merely a suggestion of letters. When my dream attention was not focused on the marque, it seemed to have intelligible block letters forming words.

I am a person who reads a lot: Fiction, newspapers, bridge books, scientific literature. My dream ego never seems to read anything. I have tried to exert control over my dreams to see if I could read a newspaper or a book, but have had no success so far.

When I was a child and had nightmares my father gave me good advice which worked. He said that while I was awake I should prepare myself for the next nightmare. I was to imagine some heroic figure coming to my rescue. He said that if I prepared for it, my mind would recognize the unreality of a nightmare and allow me to request magic or a mythical hero to save me.

His idea worked, so I know that a person can have some level of control over dreams. I am sure that if I again dream about seeing some written material, my dream ego will focus attention on it and see if it is legible. I am betting that it will not be readable.

Has any of you ever read anything in your dreams? I think I have read very short items like an advertisement on a billboard. I do not have any specific memory of such dreams, so I cannot be sure.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

It's wierd, I know what I'm reading, but not the content. At the same time though I can read individual letters and once in awhile words, but not sentances.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jps Valued Senior Member

I read somewhere that its impossible to read in your dreams and that one way to tell that you're dreaming is to try and read something. Can't remember where I read it though....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. purple_hairstreak My true colours clash Registered Senior Member

i've heard that you can find out if you're dreaming by pinching yourself...but it's weird because i piched myself in a dream just to check if i was dreaming and i didnt wake up...how weird is that?

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

The pinch thing isn't very consistant. Sometimes you feel the pain and wake up from the 'shock' while other times you don't 'feel' anything.

Checking your watch twice every hour or so is good training for lucid dreaming. You'll notice 'something' wrong with you watch; usually inconsistant times.

9. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

I find that I can know things in dreams that I couldn't know in real life such as seeing writing and knowing what it says without reading it. Thats dreams for you.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I saw that in a Batman cartoon. They had an odd tendency to research stuff like that, so I suspect that it might be true.

11. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

If you die in your dreams you die in real life! Anyone heard of this or know if it's true?

12. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

It's not true. You just generally wake up first, although not always.

13. Charles Fleming Registered Senior Member

I'll believe you for now Persol but privately I'll retain my belief so if it conclusively looks like it's true then you are wrong ok?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Lol... fine with me.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, it is absolutely 100% true. If you die in a dream, you will also die in real life. You just don't know when. If you don't die in a dream, you will still die in real life.

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

LMAO. Never thought about it that way

17. ic0n612 Registered Member

i can usually read in my dreams

18. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

icOn612: What do you read in your dreams? Can you provide a bit of context?

I have dreams in which there is written material which seems to be readable. When I focus on the material, I discover that it conveys no information.

I read a lot in real life, and have occasionally dreamt about reading a book. I have never remembered what I read in a dream, nor did I have a memory of bring focused on the pages of the book.

BTW: One of my pet peeves is that reed is not the present tense of read, and red is not the past tense.

19. ic0n612 Registered Member

i've been able to read signs and books and whatnot.but occasionally the text will change if i try to reread it after a few seconds, which i believe happens to most people who can read int heir dreams. that is what got me lucid once, when i tried to reread soemthin and it kept changing.

I remember that episode of Batman as well

20. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I often read stuff in my dreams. I once drempt I was reading a book. I actually, in the dream, read the *entire* book (about 150 pages). It was a book that doesn't exsist, though, so I was actually writing the book as I went

cool stuff. It was a Hardy Boys adventure - had a pretty good plot too. I kick myself now for not writing it all down when I woke up. it happened about 16 years ago, and I forget the story now.

signs, newspaper, etc. I also can smell in my dreams, and they are usually in color. I have have died a number of times in my dreams over the years.

#1 rule about dreams- all the rules you know about dreams are probably not correct.

[edit]: I've had that issue where each time something is read, it changes, too. Always found that really interesting...

21. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

But did you actually 'read' the book?
    I can open a book and start going thru the story, but if I focus on the page it is usually jeberish. If I focus on the story I'm fine though.

22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Persol: That seems to be the way it works for me. Focus on the text and it is not legible.

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

actually a good question. I really can't say for sure now. I remeber having the book in front of me, seeing my hands turning a page every minute or so, and as I went, the story unfolding. but I can't say I actually remember individual words pop up.

I have had words in other dreams be clear, though. lisence plates, newpaper headlines, etc. clear to the point that when writing the dream down, I could even remeber the font of the text.