Sooo, what does NASA stand for?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Manic Hedgehog, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Manic Hedgehog Registered Member

Need Another Seven Astronauts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Can someone kick this a-hole off this site PLEASE!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Like they used to say on "Dinosaurs!", "We're going to need another Timmy."

Seriously, this is what we get for our romantic need to put humans in space. We'd have stations on the moons of the outer planets and a ship halfway to Alpha Centauri (and zero dead astronauts) if we'd let computers do what they are good at:

1. Working in a vacuum
    2. Not needing food and water
    3. Weighing a lot less than humans
    4. Not having to come home every few months to avoid losing bone mass
    5. Basically, being a whole lot cheaper, lighter, and less delicate than humans.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Manic Hedgehog Registered Member

immane1 -- I wasn't trying to offend you. Lighten up.

8. immane1 Registered Senior Member

What kind of response were you expecting? I usually enjoy somewhat "twisted humor" but..........

9. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

NASA stands for New Airwalk Shoes Accepted.
    BUSH stands for Butt Ugly Stupid Human.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

immane1, I hate it when people like you complain about something as innocent as a joke. It's like people trying to ban the name 'The Two Towers' after the WTC thing. It's really sad.
    Yes yes people died, woo, yeah, but we can't change that. Making jokes is a ay of getting by. It's in the past, live in the now. Yes, I've just woken up and I'm in a mood

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

is it ok if I talk about toyota's? caaaaauuuuuuse ALOT of people have died in toyota's... I don't want to tread into "OH NO HE DITTANT!" territory...

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Knock yourself out

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pontiac

My favorite is Pontiac. I shan't repeat it for now, and some will know why.

NASA: Nice Attempt at Something Awesome
    Bush: Born Under a Bad Sign

(And if anyone misses that joke, I don't want to hear about it.)

Nike: Now I Killed Ephraim
    GOP: God's Own Party
    RIAA: Really Ignorant Assholes Association
    NRA: National Reapers Anonymous
    MOAB: Mondo Obscene Ass Blaster
    THC: Totally Hackin' Cool, Too High Cecil, Takin' Hits Cuz', Someone Pass the Bong ... er ...

(damn)

Hey! It's 4:20!

:m:,
    Tiassa

14. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

We seem to be offended by jokes about recent tragedy, yet we have no problems telling jokes about distant tragedies. For example, it's verboten to tell a joke about the destruction of the Space Shuttle, or the World Trade Center, but it's perfectly acceptable to joke about the Battle of Waterloo, or the Siege at Stalingrad. Given this pattern, it's inevitable that people will eventually joke freely about the World Trade Center. I never understood this aspect of human behavior. I'm not comfortable joking about human tragedy, past or present, near or far.

On the subject of the astronauts who died in the space shuttle; it was a tragedy, as is any unexpected loss of human life. But these people sought a glamorous and dangerous career of their own volition. When a wheel falls off an ox-cart, one simply puts it back on. An equivalent mishap on a spacecraft generally results in the death of the occupants. We didn't "choose straws" to determine who had to risk their lives by going into orbit. So, I don't consider these astronauts "heroes," anymore than I consider the people who will die in traffic accidents while on their way home from work this evening to be "heroes."

Lastly, I agree with Fraggle Rocker's above post. The money spent on manned space missions is a vast drain on the money we could be spending on far more worthy space exploration. Apologists for the shuttle who point out that it can be used to repair the Hubbell forget that if we weren't funding a vastly expensive shuttle program, we could send up an improved Hubbell each time the old one developed a glitch. The manned space program is little more than a vastly expensive PR event in frantic search for a reason to exist. There's simply not enough need for zero-gravity experiments to justify a shuttle, or a manned space station. The "real" science in space is done by the unmanned projects, such as the Voyager, Galileo and the Hubbell.

Just my opinion,
    Michael

Last edited: Mar 21, 2003
  15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

careful...science is always done by people and never my unmanned objects...(haha...i am so funny...i hurt myself from laughing)

16. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Hi Monkey,

Yes, I understand. That' why I wrote "unmanned projects," instead of "unmanned objects." A "project" is a human undertaking.

Regards,
    Michael

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'm dyslexic...well when i need an excuse for my lazy reading...

18. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Monkey,

No problem. I do it myself all the time.

Cheers,
    Michael

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

anyway...i agree totally with you anyway...the shuttle was a big waste of money...

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Ortho

One of the biggest tragedies of 9/11 is our loss of humor. What do you call 100 accountants at the bottom of the Atlantic? A good start. It used to be a funny joke. People don't find it funny now that someone has gone and done that. Which suggests an odd relationship between humor and honesty, but that will take me weeks to build on at best.

:m:,
    Tiassa

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Re: Pontiac

It took me a second.

NASA: No Arab Shoes Allowed

22. Zero Banned Banned

I hope no one is making fun of the dead astronauts, who can't defend themselves...if there is one that person deserves gangrape.

23. SciAuthor Banned Banned

Never Above Shuttle Altitude.