Aleister Crowley- magus or...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Johnny Bravo, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

...was he more interested in getting his sexual/ drug kicks than any spiritial break throughs or secret knowledge?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Depends on how you view psychology

It depends on how you view psychology. By one approach, Crowley's sexuality and mindbending was part of how to attain the philosophic goals he sought. By another approach, Crowley's elaborate pseudo-religion was merely a massive and complex sublimation of his inherent perversity.

Given his biography, I look more toward the one than the other. But beyond that, how many weeks do we wish to spend per post, because Crowley is one of those people whose work generally demands longer consideration?

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. odin Registered Senior Member

I had a friend,who meet him a couple of times.When he was recruiting followers.
    I asked what he thought of him,the reply was well he destroyed most of his followers.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

i'd call him a charletan. i think he was a shocker (like marilyn mansons, except crowley actually wanted people to take him seriously). he was definately in it for the sex. Or thats how it seems from what i've read.

8. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

I think that at one time he had clear goals and a firm belief in what he was studying..later in his life failure reduced him to his base (real) motives- sexual domination of both females/males and heroin.
    He died alone and pennyless, no?