Anybody want help improving your writing?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Fraggle Rocker, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Several of you have mentioned your disappointment with the writing skills you learned in school.

I've been helping people learn to write better for thirty years. Everything from the basics of spelling and punctuation, to the more complicated points of grammar and syntax, all the way to advanced topics like style and concision. Everybody from high school students to college graduates to foreigners struggling with a second language.

If anybody wants to post a question here, or a writing sample for review, I'll be glad to help.

As you can see from my own postings, I'm not a fuddy-duddy. I'm not going to take anybody to task for using slang or cute spelling tricks. (Unless I can't understand them. Then, of course, they are really bad writing habits!) You tell me what you want to learn and I'll help.

If you surprise me by posting a hundred messages the first day, I reserve the right to run away screaming.

From time to time, I will reorganize my individual responses and move them closer to the bottom of the thread. They will be re-edited and combined into a couple of postings with common themes, hopefully to make them more helpful to others with similar questions. I hope you all don't mind.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

how do you go about writing a book?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neville Registered Senior Member

I agree with fraggleRocker SpuriousMonkey. The best thing you could do is practice: maybe get a job for a magazine/newspaper. Dictionaries are very sueful. try to have one at hand. Not only can spellings and definitions be found but Punctuation is also listed i.e. colon, comma and even i.e. is listed. I didn't even know that i.e. was supposed to have another dot after the e until i checked.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you want to read and write then that's what you must do: read and write. It's as simple as that.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

Re: Reading vs. Writing

And that is when the eternal question must be asked: Who to you ask for feedback?

Writing - punctuation, grammar, spelling - can be taught, and you know when it's technically right or wrong, but creative writing is a whole different ballpark.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Reading vs. Writing

For sure. There are people who have the knack and specialize in teaching that. I'm not one of them. If anybody wants help cleaning up the kinds of errors I see on this board, or improving the quality of an assignment, or writing a report, manual, thesis, etc., I'm your guy. But if you want to do creative writing that's way out of my league.

9. immane1 Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure whether I should take this particular thread seriously or not.
    I DO know you have opened "a can of worms". Your posts will now be scrutinized by many.

I, personally, forgive MOST foreigners for their poor grammar. At least they are trying.
    However, if they can afford to make posts here, then they can surely afford Word, Wordperfect, or some other "aide".

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm serious and have a lot of experience with foreign students.

I opened it in all seriousness. If anyone would like help learning to write better, I will be happy to provide it. I don't mind levity, it makes things go easier.
    I'm used to it. I do a lot of writing on the job. Everybody hits the wrong key once in a while and if we're not being graded on these things we don't proofread them three times.
    I'm in no position to criticize anyone for their mastery of a foreign language. I write fairly bad Spanish, really bad German, and I'm lucky if I can remember two hundred Chinese characters and write half of them correctly.
    Spell checkers are not all they're cracked up to be. The simplest, most common errors, like "its" for "it's" and "their" for "there" or "they're" are the ones they can't catch.

Nonetheless, I've had a great deal of experience working with adult English as a Second Language students. Having a passing familiarity with the other person's language is a great help. I can understand what they're not hearing because their language doesn't have some of our sounds (or vice versa), and what they're missing because of different grammatical paradigms or word order.

I've worked with several people who were rated "Improvement Needed" in the "written and oral skills" section of their performance evaluation, which would have held them back from promotion or even put their job at risk in event of a downsizing. They progressed to "satisfactory" and we were all very happy.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Re: How to write a book.

I wrote some scientific papers.
    I am editor-in-chief of a very local journal.
    I wrote about 2 and a half chapters once on a book on the history of science, but then switched careers.
    I wrote some stuff on my website.

And i don't know the subject yet. My main problem is that I am not a native englsih speaker. That might hinder me most and I am not interested in translations, because i hardly use my native language anymore. Therefore it is almost as bad as my english.
    I guess it was a bad idea to write a book.

another question then

Is punctuation really that important?

12. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: How to write a book.

I felt a stabbing pain shudder in my shoulder! It immediately sent information to the axons of the brain - images, colors, flashes - and I was uberwhelmed, sending me searching for truth, because I wanted, desperately, to believe in something. Oi vei, "I thoght to myself." Or, ay yi yi. I was fed up. The towel had been tossed in the ring. The white flag waved. Finitio. Wow, this makes no sense, but I think it was guided - towards the end - by a dream.

Now, what was the question?

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Re: Re: Re: How to write a book.

you made a spelling mistake..is that a capital offense similar to punctuation errors?

14. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

The first you need to have is an interesting and unique topic.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i evah a cipot:

'the social structure of sciforums'

16. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

I can hear the death knell ringing in the ears of the hierarchy, armed to the teeth with negating precision...the finger of power firmly set on the button..the social structure of sciforums..has the vaginal ring about it

:m:

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I guess the first thing to ask yourself if you have a story or message you wish to tell.
    I see no reason in writing just for the sake of writing.
    If something moves you, than you end up writing about it without any thought as to how you are going to come up with an ideas.
    They just flow out of you.

That's why I don't really understand the concept of writers block.
    If you don't have something to write, why the hell are you writing?

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i usually write about nothing....i like nothing...see my website for examples.

19. Zack_Kinney Registered Senior Member

Fraggle, please work on my essay (or whatever the verb is, criticize, judge, whatever). I wrote it extemporaneously...

As Spinoza says that "truth is its own measure" as opposed to Protagoras, the truth is a concept that may seem vague at sometimes. Many philosophers have tried to define what truth means and how it is obtained, but it seems that truth is really its own measure. Such case is illustrated by M. J. Adler, who talks of "the simple problem of truth" and "the difficult problem of the truth" in one of his works.

He claims that the simple truth is generally obtained by searching for the correspondence between one's perception and reality. This, generally being personal, may contain subjective truths such as opinions. However, the dilemma lies in the difficult problem of truth. Adler goes further into the depths of the process of acquiring truth and he deals with the problem that emerges as the steps in obtaining the simple truth becomes more complex. He says that there are cases such that one cannot compare what one knows and what one wants to know because measuring one by the standard of another would not surely bring truth to light.

In addition, Adler claims that there is the impossibility of interactions between the reality and the beings such as ourselves. We may be able to ask reality questions, but the reality simply won't respond or it cannot respond, for it is not a being. Reality is what Sylvia Plath precisely describes in her poem "the mirror". It is neither prejudiced nor cruel, but only truthful. But once again this causes the emergence of the same question. Is reality necessarily truthful?

In many cases, this case seems to be valid, but we will never know if truth and reality are mutually exclusive, since Adler's case also makes a coherent plea.

20. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

spuriousmonkey
    can you find the punctuation error?

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i thought that there were 2?

22. Zack_Kinney Registered Senior Member

Fraggle... would you mind working on my essay?

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i just plain hate proofreading my own manuscripts...usually you have been working on them for quite a long time and basically you are fed up with them. And then come the final proofs and to be honest I hardly proofread them. In fact, it is rare that I would actually reread my own work after it has been published.

You are just happy that the nasty teenage child has finally left the house...