uber?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by DJ Erock, Mar 17, 2003.

1. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

does anyone who uses the word uber realizes whats going on?
    uber is a german word, but only if it has an umlaut (the little dots above it.) I don't know if it has another root, but uber in german means over.

It really irks me when people use it. i dunno why, but i think people are morons when they say "hey, thats over cool!" or "fallout=over" (see nerd culture)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i am über-kommisar of the old social reject organization.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

obviously you aren't a descripive linguist.

such is the nature of american english. we take old and new words and make up new meanings for them. who cares what it actually means in german.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neville Registered Senior Member

Do actually! This would have annoyed me too, if i'd knwn what it meant. lol

The little things like this that annoy me are: 't-total' and 'weed'. What does the T in T-total stand for?? I wonder if anyone actually knows yet many people use it. To say something without knowing what it means it along the lines of: closing your eyes, turning around and taking your trousers down. 'Weed' is surely a derogatory word! Weeds are dirty nasty things. I could understand someone who does't like cannabis calling it 'weed' but lots of people who enjoy smoking it call it 'weed'. I prefered to just call it 'cannabis' (which is what it is) but a girl I know didn't like it so I had to become 'cool' for her, join the mindless mass and switch off my brain. I now call it weed despite the fact that i like the plant, so regularly I am forced to degrade something that I like. Hey if you give me a cucumber i will stick it up my own bum!

8. orange Registered Senior Member

Over, in the same meaning as above. The word über can be used to describe an objects worth being more than something elses.

For example übermenschen would be directly translated to Overpeople or Abovepeople, and that's just what it means. Man #1 is not standing on man #2's head, but his value is higher in the hierarchy (even if man #2 was standing on man #1's head

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

Therefor "hey, thats übercool" is correct.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2003
  9. BigWill Registered Senior Member

Erock, why do you do this

You're a moron DJ, you complained about this before and I told you the difference. Obviously you didn't chose to accept it, and you didn't bother to look it up. Uber and über are spelt differently, thus they have different meanings...just like every other word in the dictionary. Hell, some words have two meanings. I hope these helpful and correct posts (mostly Pulse) will force you to accept it now that you've made yourself look dumb.

10. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

You want to know what Uber means? Go play EverQuest, you'll get an idea hehe

11. Lord_Tigersloth Registered Senior Member

I asked my teacher, and über can mean over or super

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I've pointed this out on many occasions.

Uber is used to emphasise a point, it backs it up. More like an exclamtion point in a way.

And people are always merging languages, look at French words, how many French words are there in the English language?? Squillions!! It's happening all the time. It's just a figure of speech.

Saying something is ubercool is more or less saying it is Really Cool, like nothing else can be as cool as that. Just saying it's cool is not really saying anything.

And as for the lil dots, not many people know the keyboard shortcuts for that so they resort to the standard U, but it still means the same.

13. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

It seems like this thread should go in the "Tolerance of others and their use of words" section.

But since it's not, eh, whatever, I could care less...

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What language is that from?

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

engrish

16. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

I can understand that it means over or above, but to make it make sense in english, you have to translate it more than once ex. uber->over->above->better->supreme. using this logic you could completely change the meaning of a sentence.

i show little interest
    little->midget
    i show midget interest
    rephrase to "i am interested in midgets"
    rephrase again to "i would like to date Jamie B."

ok, that last one is a little humor, but the point is, when you take synonmys of a word several times, it doesn't nececarilly mean the same thing it did in the first place.

and will, tell me this, which is a sign of more intelligence, questioning a friend, considering his opinion, then questioning a body of intelligent minds, or forcing your ideas on a person as soon as they say something you can't agree with by calling that person a moron? Oh, and i did bother to look it up. uber isn't a german word, and ueber (how to write it if you don't know the umlaut keyboard shortcut) means over, as i stated in my original post

i can accept people using it when they use it correctly, like "ueber cool", even tho it makes the person sound goofy, but when someone makes their name "GodImUber" it just seems like something is wrong

17. orange Registered Senior Member

Your first post stated the the word über couldn't be used in a sentence such as in pulse is übercool, but your second post said it could. "God I'm über" is something completely different. Same thing with mega, hyper, ultra, etc. You get the point.

Obviously, you are the one calling people who won't agree with you moron, as you did in your first post. Think about it.

18. BigWill Registered Senior Member

lmao

Good job Erock. I don't think I have to say anything (thank you pulse). ueber means super, it isn't translated several times. Maybe you missed the OR in my sentence "..means over or greater, or super..."...and hey, my name is BigWill.