why i posted in word threads

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by spuriousmonkey, Mar 17, 2003.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

closure of word threads:
    *Due to a consenus of the mod's, this thread and others of simular nature will be closed. They serve no purpose but to take up bandwith and seem to be used by certain posters to rack up posts.
    wet1*

i would disagree on this, because for me it is just entertainment. And a nice way to practice language.

But if you all agree that you don't want them then that is the way it is. That's life.

I justed wanted to list my personal reason for posting in these threads.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2003
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Word threads eatup large bandwidth. That could well be the reason. But can't say completely pointless, it is fun. If someone wants to increase his score he can spoil other threads aslo. The average posting rate for word thread might be around 30 per day.

Btw, Vagina was closed and it took with that word threads also before it closed.
    Within 24 hours and with more than 80 posts and 5 pages it far surpassed word threads by posting rate. If i feel to have horny chat i would go to XXX forums and discuss vagina of all types. I hesitated to do this in sci-forums cuz i get really nasty... sorry about word threads being a collateral damage to vagina.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Spurious , you should be a mod,with such empathy,goodwill, no derogatory remarks, a complete good egg!.....not even a hint of malice or negative thought,not one thought for the self, a real gentleman and a scholar...the only bandwith your in is in harmony with mankind!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Word threads did kind of annoy me, they weren't that bad, just disappointing when you think a real thread is being replied to only to find out someone typed a word or 3 in one of those threads. I don't see what the problem was with that vagina thread.... besides the fact that beth has a hairy vagina, that is a problem, a serious problem indeed

IXL, I like spurious too but don't you think you're laying it on a little thick:bugeye: people might start talking...

8. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

IXL, I like spurious too but don't you think you're laying it on a little thick:bugeye: people might start talking...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Have you heard of IRONY....

:m:

9. Neville Registered Senior Member

I think they should be banned. They don't serve any purpose and aren't even very good or funny.

10. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

vagina and 3 word...are doomed to life disposal...

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think people on the dole should be banned. They don't serve any purpose and aren't even very good or funny.

12. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

I think any body's name who starts with N should be banned.......

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i think that banned people should be socially rejected

14. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

i think spuriousmonkey has already become a mod it seems..

15. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

he's got my vote

this whole closing of threads thing worries me. if it was taking up too much bandwidth sure, but closing the vagina thread was uncalled for. i find it offensive that vaginas are called offensive. now who gets banned??? my feeling on forums is that if a thread is popular, the users want it to be there. if it is a worthless post, it'll eventually fall off the front page and could quietly be deleted. exception: flooding. otherwise it's just tyranny.

16. eddie monkey FU Registered Senior Member

What I don't understand is this site's obsession with the amount of bandwidth availiable. If the administration can't afford a decent amount of bandwith for everyone to post messages, they should shut it down and send us our separate ways. Everyone should be able to post their opinions without being told that they are wasting space.

The Religion forum's "cut and paste" policy is an example of this, and as we have seen, wet1 seems to be obsessed with bandwidth.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

right

i dont know about you but i enjoy posting here

i would prefer it not to close down like it did once because dave cant aford it

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I think I started a word thread once.

It was like word association, but you would have to use the last letter of the previous word as the first letter for yours.

It eventually withered away.
    Oh well.

Regardless, I'm remain neutral on the subject.
    I could really care less weather or not they are there.
    No big gain. No big loss.

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

So you advocate an "all or nothing" approach to the situation?
    "Three Word Stories" and their ilk are not opinions, nor is cutting and pasting a thousand words of someone else's work, as is often done in the Religion and WE&P forums.
    As you are not paying for that bandwidth yourself, or even contributing towards offsetting the cost, you should not be worrying about it. Live within the framework that Porfiry desires or move on.

20. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

Mods are mods for a reason. don't argue with them.

"word" posts were stupid. Get over it. 3 word story didn't even TELL a story.

21. eddie monkey FU Registered Senior Member

How much does it cost to run this site each month? Why doesn't Dave allow one or two other members to become "shareholders" in the site if he's having so much trouble paying for it?

22. eddie monkey FU Registered Senior Member

Why should anyone come to this board when they are contantly told they are wasting space?

Still, our freedoms are being limited. What's the purpose of having a board if you can't post as you please?

Sounds like what the Vietnam War protesters were told. "Sciforums, love it or leave it!"

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Instead of bitching, you could help out with the cost. Nothing comes for free, certainly not this site. Porfiry has kept this site running for a long time. It has come out of his pocket during this time. He is a student.

The 2.99 he asks is not budget breaking in any sense of the word. It is us the users that make it expensive. Done your part to help? You have no avatar, so that answers that, so what are you bitching about? If you don't vote, you didn't have a say in an election either...

There has been an increasing thought that the internet is free. It never was. Prehaps you should ask your provider to give up his fee to allow you access. I dare say that your access would be terminated if you failed to pay on time.

This was never the "Land of the free" and if you got that impression then you need to make your own site where your rules are the guiding light. If it is successful, then I think you will understand on a more personal level exactly what the problem is.

You should visit some of the other sites and find out exactly what moderation is. This site is not bad, believe me. In fact the times that moderation occur are reason for a huge amount of comment, witnessed by this thread, devoted to the closure of some threads. Why? Because it is not that often that it happens. It has been more active in the last few months than ever before. The idea that anything can and should be posted is not what goes here and it never did. You agreed to follow some rules to become a member of this board. Did you just sign and forget them? If so, then I would imagine the world will fall in on you one day, if you ever take out a loan.

Several of our members forget this is a family forum. That some subjects are not to be discussed in a down and dirty fashion. It was the reason for the closure of the vigina thread. A little too graphic folks. We are not looking for lawsuits by some unhappy parent.

There is one other thing that needs answered here. Banning doesn't come out of the blue. Those that are banned either knowingly do what they know that is not acceptable or have time to amend their ways. Just because a thread is closed does not mean a member is up for banning. Those that are up for banning get a pm, most times several, in an attempt to keep the member.