Procrastination...

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by OrbitingTheSun, Mar 17, 2003.

1. OrbitingTheSun Registered Member

Why is it so difficult to stop procrastinating?

I thought about it from a psychological standpoint, and I wondered if conditioning is a factor. In my own experience, I have procrastinated, completed an assignment at the last minute, and gotten a good grade--even though I did not manage my time wisely. Do you think people continue to procrastinate because they get positive reinforcement for it? If I got bad grades from procrastinating, I’d probably change my behavior.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Blast! I've been meaning to write something meaningful in the way of a response to this, but, well, you know.

BTW I've had similar experiences with the cramming and good grades results. I would say that positive reinforcement does serve to strengthen my procrastination as well.

Thanks!

prag

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Let me get back to you on that.

In the meantime, is it possible to procrastinate procrastination?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. purple_hairstreak My true colours clash Registered Senior Member

i've experienced something totally weird...when i cram for a test in the last minute, i do well but when i plan and prepare carefully with a time table, i do worse than with bad preparation!! can anyone explain that?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Hitman47 Registered Senior Member

Procrastination makes a person more creative

"nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute."

Haven't started my 20pg report on heroin and its due in 5 weeks

9. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

I'd have to say it's luck. I'm guessing you're in High School? I'm just assuming, because in college I've NEVER done good when I do a last minute study for a test.

10. Weiser_Dub Registered Senior Member

in response to purplehairstreak and halo...

I'd have to say it has more to do with the type of memory skill you have: short term or long term, for instance. I was always a procrastinator, did things at the last second, and did well.

11. OrbitingTheSun Registered Member

When I posted this thread I was in the process of finishing an overdue assignment. I nearly drove myself crazy doing so; but now, a week later, I have my grade and guess what it is…

An A. I am relieved, but I know I will go through this again…Who am I kidding, I am already going through it again. LOL.

12. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

I can see how that would affect things. Maybe I just have bad short term memory (as well as long term

) But can you say that if you always do things at the last minute you will do well?

13. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

It is hard to stop procrastinating. I have, for soo long now, and I usually get pretty good grades. I've realized now that I've stopped worrying about a project, or a test, and just thought to myself "Hey, I'll cram the last night, or put it all together in the morning of the day it's due. No worries."

Alright! First post!

14. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

When I did a paper on this once, research seemed to support that procrastination was mainly due to self-esteem issues (more specifically perceived self-efficacy) and not so much reinforcement.

15. OrbitingTheSun Registered Member

That is a really interesting perspective. Tell me more.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

As an example...at the moment I am thinking: 'why should I finish this manuscript and submit it, because nobody is going to read it anyway'.

It is more rewarding to surf the net and do some artwork for my site.

17. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Perceived self-efficacy is the belief that you can physically do something. If something seems like a challenging or large task, the more likely you are to put it off because of fear of failure.

Probably the best way to cure procrastination is to break down the task so that the task is made easier, to demystify it from looking like some huge ordeal.

I bet an experiment would find a high inverse correlation between procrastination and self-esteem. As self-esteem goes up, the procrastination goes down. I bet my petunias this has already been done considering the amount of literature that associate the two.

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well Xenu could it also be due to over confidence. It might be a matter with some that they are over confident in their abilities to get a certain task done that it wouldn't matter to them if they did it a later date. I do that sometimes though each and every single time i end up falling flat on my face and i never learn.....infact i am procastinating about 4 projects while i type this

. Just a thought Xenu

BTW...*Punches Xenu*

19. OrbitingTheSun Registered Member

I agree that the more challenging the task seems, the more likely one is to procrastinate...but I don't agree that this is necessarily because of a fear of failure. There may be other reasons, or more probable, a number of reasons contributing to this one problem.

I can say that I do not fear failure. I have experienced academic failure and it was easily overcome...which is why I suspect my own procrastination may be due to over confidence.

Did you read about possible chemical causes? Maybe some people subconsciously wait for their adrenaline levels to increase to be productive.

Whatever the cause, it is a bad habit...but usually you need to find the cause before you can find the solution.

20. DouBTlessWonDer socially inferior to TV Registered Senior Member

I hate procrastination. Right now I'm avoiding finishing two books and writing about them, and I also need to write a few papers due a few weeks ago...and grades close tomorrow. oops, I think i will get an incomplete in that class...

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

A similar, but different line of thought.

When I was younger I had a mentality something like this, but it didn't lead to procrastination, but inaction.

Once the teacher knew that I understood the material, I felt like I didn't have to prove anything anymore, so I didn't.

I would think, "I obviously know the material, and the teacher knows that I do, so what is the point of doing this stupid assignment?"

22. !R.RAMJET.X! Registered Member

I believe procrastination is based largely on distractions. There are many things to distract us from our work, i tried to adhere to a timetable and it didn't work because i thought that there was no harm in spending just a 'little' time doing something else before i did whatever i was supposed to do. In the end, i end up wasting more time than expected and procrastination leads to cramming. Like for example, i'm supposed to be studying for a chemistry exam for tomorrow but i'm distracted by this forum `cause it's so interesting....

23. OrbitingTheSun Registered Member

Me too! My chemistry exam is tomorrow at 9:00 AM. What time is yours?