Two O/S on two HDD??

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Jmich1, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmich1 Registered Member

How do I set up a dual boot on two separate hard drives? I have WinXP on one drive and I'd like to set up Win98 on another drive. Can this be done? If it's possible could someone please walk me through it?

Thanks,
    Jmich1

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

This is done just the same as if it were two partitions on the same drive. May i ask why you'd want WinXP and Win 98?

-AntonK

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jmich1 Registered Member

There are some programs that won't work with WinXP (even in compatibility mode) and I'd still like to run them.

I have my XP drive set up as the master and the second drive set as slave... is this right in order to do this? How do I install Win98 on the 'slave' drive when the 'master' is set up with XP?

Jmich1

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

It's been a long time since I installed Win98 on anything, but if it doesn't allow you to install on the slave turn the slave in to a master, install, and turn it back. After that you'll have to install a bootloader separately in order to dualboot, lilo might work? Though I'm not sure. Or you might make a bootdisk for the least used OS.

I've never dual booted two windows systems so I'm just guessing, I'm pretty sure microsoft doesn't have a bootloader that can handle two separate operating systems.

8. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

im pretty sure lilo isnt your best choice since lilo stands for Linux Loader
    however...GRUB will probably work.

-AntonK

9. river-wind Valued Senior Member

bootmagic, posisbly?

10. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

you install win98 first, then install winxp, winxp comes with a bootloader, well, if its pro, or just disconnect the adrives as needed

11. cjard Registered Senior Member

format disk

one partition

install xp

install 98

"reinstall" xp and choose the REPAIR option

xp setup will find win 98 and add it to the boot menu choices

use boot menu to switch

-
    advise not installing the same prorams in both.. i.e. install office in winxp only, install grand theft auto in 98 only..

12. cjard Registered Senior Member

also, whn installing xp, DONT use NTFS, use FAT32, else win98 wont install

13. Jmich1 Registered Member

Thanks to all for your help, but it sounds like all of the replies would be for installing both O/S on the same hard drive.

What I want is to have XP on one hard drive and 98 on another hard drive but have the choice to boot to either during start up.

Thanks,
    Jmich1

14. cjard Registered Senior Member

sorry, i did indeed misread the question

install one hard drive

install 98 on c:\

install the other hard drive (as ide secondary master)

run xp setup from 98

find the box that says "i want to choose the installation partition during setup" and tick it

in xp setup, point it to install on d:\

xp can better handle being installed on a non-c: drive, and the xp boot loader will detgect the presence of win 98 and add it as a choice so you can boot either

if you switch the hard disks round, xp will not work. here is why:

the BOOT.INI file on c:\ (xp will put some things on c:, leave them there) contains so9mething similar to my boot ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

--------------

you can read it pretty easily.. your boot ini file will say RDISK(2) i think, cos xp is installed on primary slave, so you can see that the boot loader is directed to where xp lives with the line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

if you alter the partitions or swap the disks round, that "path" becomes invalid, and youll get an INACCESSBILE_BOOT_DEVICE bluescreen.

disks are assigned in order of pri master, sec master, pri slave, sec slave. so if you move the xp drive to pri slave, for example, to install a cd burner on sec master.. youll need to edit the boot ini so that it contains the correct path (just fiddle the values of RDISK between 0 1 2 3 4...)

15. Jmich1 Registered Member

cjard,

Thanks!
    I'll try this when I have the time...

Thanks again,
    Jmich1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.