Nutritional Requirements, Excercise, Health and Weightloss for Bullet Proof Pandas

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Spector, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

Ok, I'm not a bulletproof panda. But I do want to start a thread on nutrition, and well... it got you here didn't it? hehe.. ok you can slap me. I know there are a few threads out there about general nutrition that I've found.. people talking about this food being good and that food being bad. But I'd like to get down to the topic of food on a more mathematical scale in a discussion with all of those out there who are interested. I think this is the type of thing that either interests someone, or puts them to sleep in seconds. But anyway, here we go...

I started a diet about 4 months ago that I've kept to very faithfully for the entire time. I've always been the type of person with alot of willpower, but no real focus when it comes to nutrition or physical health. It came to a point where I decided, ok, I'm going to eat right, get in shape, and live healthy. This involved a hell of alot more work than I thought, just to get on the right track in the first place. I spent about an entire month researching on the internet, looking through that library, asking everyone I knew that was at least somewhat health concious about what they knew. Eventually after a month I compiled enough information to actually base my faily life on. I came up with a diet which was perfect for me to the best of my knowledge and devised a workout routine that fit my schedule and my needs. In the past 4 months I've learned alot more as I've kept what has worked for me, and changed what didn't seem to be working at all. I have a pretty good grasp on my health, and greatest of all I have more than enough momentum in my efforts and have no trouble keeping it up, I feel great. I've lost 30 pounds and I'm still losing about a pound a week to this day. Maybe I just happen to be incredibly lucky to have the will to go through all the tremendous effort it took to get to this point, but I have to say I don't see what the big mystery is in weight loss and health maintenance that everyone out there seems to be complaining about. I just think that you either go all out, or you fail. You need a good diet, a good workout routine and willpower. Applying that total package to my life has worked perfectly for me and I think that going about it any other way would just be ignorant, because it is in fact a science and there isn't a pill, excercise machine, or obscure diet in the world that can replace the health facts that are available to everyone if they just take the time to learn.

Sorry I am kind of going on a rant here, I just thought that someone might be interested in what I've gone through, and may find it helpfull in some way. My real purpose for this post is to share with you all my specifics and ask for any possible critisism or additional info anyone could give me to help me in my attempt to further my mini-quest for good health. I'll start out with my personal information... I'm a 19 year old male, 160 lbs, 6'2", medium build. Hmmm, I think that would be all the pertinant facts. Here is my current nutritional intake, I dont' know if giving out particular foods would be important, I'll just get right into the numbers.

-------------------
    DAILY INTAKE TOTALS-
    -------------------
    Calories Fat Protein Carbs Fibre
    ------------------------------------------------
    2400 38g 135g 350 42g

From what I've found, these seem to be the reccomended values for my age and weight and what not...

-------------
    RECCOMENDED
    -------------------
    Calories Fat Protein Carbs Fibre
    ------------------------------------------------
    2600 39g 112g 192 30g

I vary a little bit, though I'm pretty much right on. I'm actually wondering if too much fibre intake could be harmful for one thing, though I feel fine, I don't know that kind of effects it has on one's system besides moving along digestion. Can anyone correct me in my information so far, or give me any tips pointers?

Ok.. on to my excercise info. (Thanks for sticking this out so far, this must be incredibly boring)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I run on a treadmill for 20 minutes at 5.5 mph and the walk for another 10 minutes at 3.7 mph, for 6 days a week. I also have a workout routine that takes me about 40 minutes a day to complete which works out one muscle group a day and continues for six days, and on the seventh day... I rest... ok this is starting to sound like a passage from the bible.. sorry... But that is essentially it.

Out of all the information I have gathered so far, and of all I have tried and discarded, this seems to be the best system I can come up with. Now someone critisize me. I don't care, blow everything I've just mentioned out of the water for all I care, I just really need some outside input on what I'm doing, because I know I still have alot left to learn in the subject... I'm just a wee newbie. Also, I'd like to learn more about vitamines and other aspects of nutrition I haven't ever taken into account which I would really like to. If anyone has some educated input to give, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'd also love to see what everyone else out there is doing. Lets all give eachother a hand with this "health" stuff... because damn, there is so much misleading information out there and it's sometimes hard to sort out fact from marketing strategy. Thanks all!