Destuction, human Nature?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by JoojooSpaceape, Mar 13, 2003.

1. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

my brother recently wrote a paper for one of his human psychology classes , the paper is attempting to prove that evolution tries to keep creatures such as humans, we spread fast, adapt on our own, and kill off almost everything around us. Anyhow im not going to get into "love earth and peace" becasue to me that is BS. However , what if my brother is correct, and that evolution truly tries to keep creatures such as us from existing? could it be our hatred for each other, and the fact that we are constantly warring is a result of this? Think about it, the romans died off, the trojans, the greeks, all to human hands, I believe this is a way that ppossibly evolution is trying to right itself, whether this is correct or not, one way or another its simply Nieve to think we will be around forever, we like everything else have to die off someday.

(if this seems a little wierd please dont pick at me about it, im just suggesting, im not really good in this area of science, sooo.... monkey poo)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

tell your brother to read this
    Our theories are fairly similar in that we both notice humans are destructive and will destroy themselves relatively soon.
    But I think evolution made us TO destroy things, think about it, before humans every species had a job to do to keep the eco-system running smoothly, at first glance it seems humans just stormed on to the scene and broke all the rules, but what if our job WAS to destroy things?
    It wouldn't be the first time a global facelift like this was activated by evolution, the death of the dinosaurs gave way for whole new plethera of life to emerge. When humans are wiped out the planet will be changed dramitically and new, very different species will evolve.
    I'm saying that evolution ingrained these instructions into the human species: Destroy, alter and wipe yourselves out as quickly as possible.
    We are OBVIOUSLY doing these things and have been since we came about.
    The average lifespan for a species is 50 million years, some less some more.
    Whales regulate the earths oxygen, How? Plankton is the supplier(processor, whatever) of 70% of the worlds oxygen, the whales job is to keep plankton numbers in check, therefore their job requires them to be around for a long time, and they have been, before them different creatures were doing their job but probably not as efficiently.
    Our job is to prune the leaves of planet earth, destroy and alter and make way for new growth, we are pretty good at this so we won't have to be here for very long. We've been here so far for about 200 000 years, do you really think we are going to reach 1 million years? Let alone fifty? No we won't.
    Its because we don't need to , we are a swift procedure not a long term regulator.

PS: Love earth and peace is BS? Well yeah, because "peace" is the opposite of loving earth, peace means an end to killing man, if we don't regulate ourselves who will? Curing disease can't be a good thing either, We will become even more overpopulated which means more damage and if it gets too out of hand the damage might be irrepairable and our job will have been a huge waste of time because everything will be gone.
    New species can't evolve from nothing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

we need help

this is completely irrelevant, but we have a problem. we figure that you are all smarter than us, so maybe you can help.

we apologize for a somewhat immature scenario, but people shatter easily, so please be serious and help us to the best of your abilities so we can prevent something terrible. we are very worried for her and want to protect her- from herself.

we know this girl at our junior high. she has no friends, plus most people voice their hate for her, as though she has no feelings. we will not share her real name, let's just call her x.

as we said, no one likes this girl, and she knows it, and they make sure she does. at the begining of the year, she did't mind. she knew she was obnoxious, and was proud of it.

see, x was happy with herself. she got good grades, and wasn't ever mean to others. she was just alone.

alone.

one day something horrific caused this happy world of hers to collapse.

this guy, let's call him... scum, decided to accept a bribe, and slowly kill her. another rat-friend of his said, as a joke, that he would pay him $20 if he asked x out. and five seconds later, say that he hated x and that he just wanted money. not that just joking about this wasn't lower than low.

but actually doing it....

unthinkable.

maybe it wouldn't have been as terrible if he'd practice slightly different terminology.

scum took it seriously. but rat-friend didn't know this until after the irreversible damage was done.

here's what scum did to x:

x was leaving study hall. happy in her somewhat-obnoxious self-respect. scum sees his prey and seizes the oppurtunity to make some quick $$$.

we don't know what x was thinking. maybe she'd always liked him. maybe she was too overwhelmed with the situation to realize that she didn't. this was the first time someone had expressed an interest in her.

so scum says 'wanna go out with me.'

naturally, x agrees... after all, scum had been previously viewed as an okay guy and wasn't exactly deformed.

at least, not physically.

but being the twisted jerk he was, rather than letting her be happy and then saying heck no nicely or anything considerate like that, he goes 'actually i'm breaking up with you. because i hate you. because i wanted the money.'

so x walks away unharmed.

at least what was seen of her.

who knows what happened when she got home that day.

no one ever is there. she is still alone, trapped inside herself.

and the girl who had once been one of the best students in her year found he grades slipping.

we've noticed that she's lost her appetite.

she has no more self-respect.

we are worried that this is eating away at her, having suffered through similar experiences.

what can we do to help x?

should we involve an adult?

should we let this poor girl come to the idea that she would be better off dead?

would she?

should we?

she isn't crying for help...

but we are.

[compiled with the help of niudo]

~nivao
    concerned ghost
    of mirkwood

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Have you talked to her about the guy and the bet and the whole situation?
    Have you found out the triggers for her changed behavior?

8. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

of course not

we are afraid to confront her. for it might damage her currently fragile mental state.

also, we don't want her to think that we are trying to solve her problems for her. everybody hates that feeling.

we don't know what else could be causing this.

~nivao, and niudo

9. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Quote:

Go and see someone in authority to get advice!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  10. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

can we please concentrate on a more important issue!!!

you're talking about dead people.

this person could be dead soon.

which should be a slightly higher priority?

11. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

You or you both of what ever age you are. Are mighty peculiar!
    Trying to figure out why is it that you log into a thread Destruction, Human nature?
    And you are sentimentally telling us about a poor victim Miss X.

You arrogantly reject any comments while are the same time you puzzled on what to do.
    Yet you seem to know and described the events as if you were the Miss X, or the Scum.
    And if you neither of them two. Then I think you are in a closest position to Miss X, to help her out.

So where is the intellectual challenge here that you are proposing?
    :m:

12. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Well done Micro..What they need to do is to see someone in authority for guidance, they are both obviously too immature to work it out for themselves.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

my first thoughts

the romans, the trojans, the greeks never died. There culture perished. Culture is not influenced by natural selection and therefore evolution as such. Culture changes are under the influence of different laws. Hence the assumption that nature will prevent us from exisitng might be false to start with.
    If you examine human society more closely you will notice that it is actually rather peaceful. Hatred might make good headlines on the news, but is it really the primary mental state of a human being. I can only speak for myself and my own experiences and I have to conclude that it isn't. People in most societies are actually rather helpful and friendly towards strangers, friends, colleagues, relatives etc. There are excesses, but they don't seem to be more predominant in our society than for instance other comparable animal species.
    A major problem in our modern society is the uncontrolled obsession with fear. Fear sells in the newsstands and on tv. Fear used to be the main drive behind religion. The propagation and use of fear has infested the fabric of some societies more than others. The american society would be a good example of exaggurated attention to fear-inducing news and media.

It is naïve to think that we will be around forever, since no species has ever been around forever. Why would the human species be any different. This is not because nature wants to kill us off, but because we are subject to the same rules of nature as every other species. Sooner or later we will die out. Sooner or later we will not have a suitable environment to live in anymore. This could be our own doing, or it could not. We might evolve into a different species. That will mean the end of the human species. We might never change.

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Spurious monkey, I agree with everything you said but you are missing something.
    We as a species are fairly peacefull, yeah, but only when you are looking at how we treat eachother. What about how we live or how we "treat" the earth.
    Society and civilisation are just fancy words for destruction as far as the natural balance of the eco-system is concerned(which is what the earth revolved around for billions of years before we got here), and considering everything on earth is, technically, natural , couldn't it be argued that the human species' environmental task is to destroy? Every other species of animal has an environmental task and when you look at humans as a species and try to figure out WHAT that is, the obvious conclusion is destruction, because environmentally speaking that is ALL humans are doing. It is only religion that claims we are doing more, amazing, righteous tasks. If you look at us as a species, all we are doing is disrupting the balance of nature, and thats why I argue that that is why we evolved in the first place, to destroy things and alter the planet to make way for fresh life in the future.

15. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

it is my belief the reason for a nation to stay alive is not for their people to stay alive, but their culture, for if we were to go to the athens and live exactly as they did then, then i would say they are still alive because their culture is, But this is irelivant, the real question is are we perfect, and are we here to destroy. We will very soon have the technology to alter ourselves at birth, and thus we have mastered "evolution" , humans are a danger to almost everything because of our ability to rationally think, the fact we are not dominated with instincts.I'd say intelligence is the ultimate tool for the creation of a dominant race, that and our opposable thumbs

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

makes us pretty strong, at least strong enough to overpower some of the other creatures on the planet who breed 2 or 3 or 4 times faster than us

16. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

keeping to the subject

not to offend you niudo, and nivado, (sorry if i got the names wrong ) but this is irrelivant, i sudgest you post it in the morality and justice area of the forums and ask, im sure you will get many replies.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I could agree on this if I would think that species have a task in this world. Obviously I don't think they have. There is only one 'purpose' in life and that is reproduction and this is not even a task. Either you do it or you don't.
    And we are not the only species that changes our immediate environment. The problem is that we do it on a larger scale. But qualitatively I do not think that there is any difference.

18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Don't you think you are greatly ignoring the animals around you?
    Go ahead, choose a species, and I will explain how it is keeping YOU alive.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

ok, how about Clavelina oblonga? (the light bulb tunicate)

20. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

well done ...you deserve a beer

22. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ok you got me, what the hell is that?!
    Does it have a natural enemy? Does it prey on anything?
    I'm guessing, that maybe, there might be something out there that somehow isn't connected to us, but it would be connected to something, and its connections would have to be very exclusive and limited for it not to affect us.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it is a filter feeder, actually part of the phylum of chordata, but part of the subphylum urochordata. its an ascidian, also known as seasquirt. ...they have a free-swimming larva that almost looks a little bit like a tadpole, but the adult is sessile. It attached to something and undergoes some dramatical changes, such as losing its brain (insofar you could call it a brain what they had before they lost it). It's more the nerve cord.

but i'm sure i can name many more species which you can't easily connect to mankind. That's because humans aren't THAT important.