fitness and commuting

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by spuriousmonkey, Mar 12, 2003.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

let us attack two major problems in our society at the same time. The lack of exercise and too much traffic.

we know that we have too little exercise in this modern society we currently live in. We know it is not good for us.

we know that there is too much motorized traffic on the roads causing all kinds of problems, from pollution, unneccesary deaths, stress, agression etc.

let us be responsible and resolve both issues simultaneously. We cut down drastically on traffic lanes and turn them into bicycle lanes , public transport lanes and heavy transport lanes for goods. This will force people to leave their car at home. This will force them to either take the bicycle or public transport. Either way they will get more exercise.

Why not just build more lanes to resolve the traffic issue?
    because experience tells us every time an extra lane is added it is used to the fullest in no time. There can never be enough lanes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Once a seperate lane only for bicycles is available first cycling enthusiasists will utilise it. Commuting population over short distance join then. Then fitness crowd will join. It will become a trend. Cycling population will keep growing. A good idea.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

good luck getting people out of their goddamn suv's* to do something physical but a great idea for those who would use it.

*i just noticed the irony in suv commercials

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by everneo
    Once a seperate lane only for bicycles is available first cycling enthusiasists will utilise it. Commuting population over short distance join then. Then fitness crowd will join. It will become a trend. Cycling population will keep growing. A good idea.
    We have these lanes in philly. Cars just ignore the pictograms/lines on the road and ride in them. I only see bike messengers using them.

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Your idea of an extra lane just for bikers will work if only you put the rest of our tax money to importing the whole chinese population just to use them.

Suggest to Bubba the possibilby of biking all the way to KMart and you'll give him a heart attack before the fat clots in his arteries can.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

the essence is that you cut down on car lanes...just making bike lanes makes no sense as some of your experiences have shown

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'm dutch, but live in finland.

this country has some bicycle paths, but everything is aimed to please the car. The sequence of the traffic lights for instance. And the aggressive nature of cars towards bicyclist. That made me think of this problem.

11. Malifics Registered Senior Member

Ah! The Bike Path....

Realizing that this extra lane might solve a problem in your neck of the woods, I will avoid sounding TOO sarcastic.

See here in the Good ol' US of A. We like "big butts" and we like'ar fast foods.....we like our Hogs too Harley that is.....so if we did develope a NEW lane for Bikes.....I dont think it would be the kind'a bikes ya'll out there in finland use....ya know what I mean?

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

maybe we should start kicking people in the butt for being lazy destructive gits.

if you want to drive a car then be prepared to suffer. Too little lanes for existing cars.

build a good infrastrure for alternative transport.

reward good behaviour, punish bad behaviour, but as you can see we do not forbid driving a car, we merely make it a nuisance.

13. Malifics Registered Senior Member

maybe

punish the evil ppl

14. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

What about when it rains? The bicycle lane will be empty and then the other lanes will be clogged like the arteries mentioned earlier. What about when you want to move your stereo system to your new house? Or for people that have to lug around equipment wherever they go. Sounds like a good idea but there are way too many other things that would prevent this from happening. People would have to live near their workplace for them to like this idea. The long distance commuters will have a cow. And what about the professionals who have to look good at work? If they are biking through 100 degree weather their gonna be a little bit on the stinky side. Sure they could leave their home earlier and take a shower at work, but what if they don't have time? I go to work, to school, back to work, and then back to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then I have to find time to eat, sleep, do homework, and have a little fun.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i dunno...never had a car in my life...and I am 33.

i live in finland and i bicycle all year long...I'll tell you that the winters here are quite severe.

apparantly a car is not necessary to live.

so...maybe these are just excuses to perpetuate a system that is highly artificial and not sustainable. It is all very easy and convenient but not aimed at the future.

I would never have posted this in a non-scientific forum of course, because this approach is not realistic in the sense that it will meet with too much resitance. That doesn't mean that the current system is good.

16. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

I think that daily life on a bicycle could be very possible depending on the conditions of the individual of course. But the biggest obstacle, like spuriousmonkey said, is that this proposal will meet with too much resistance from people who are set in their ways of driving everyday and their unwillingness to give up a luxury.

17. Olaus Registered Senior Member

What if you weigh 300 lbs already, and not necessarily from driving your SUV to Arby's?

What if you have a condition of the heart or other organ which prohibits exercize?

Chronic fatigue?

Depression?

Ethnic body type poorly adapted to cycling?

No legs?

My point is this: Even without all the knickering things like stereo transport or professional appearance at work, there are still enough widespread problems to present severe limitations to your proposed transport restrictions.

18. Free Cycle Registered Senior Member

MAny people simply do not understand that bicycles are vehicles. The other day as i rode pleasantly down the road i was harassed by a motley crew suggesting that i use the sidewalk, although the sidewalk is for walking. Too few people will risk a layer of sweat for a bicycle commute

19. cyberia Lounge Act Registered Senior Member

"What if you weigh 300 lbs already, and not necessarily from driving your SUV to Arby's?

Chronic fatigue?

Depression?

Ethnic body type poorly adapted to cycling?

No legs? "
    -Olaus

There will be exceptions to every single rule but I don't think biking is gonna be a major issue to someone with no legs... and someone with chronic fatigue DEFINITLEY SHOULD NO BE DRIVING.

I think that biking is a very valid option for Urban areas, especially in milder climates. I used to live in Calgary, Canada and I biked pretty much every where. Three feet of snow. 30 degrees below zero its never been a problem. But since its pretty much the oil capital of Canada theirs alot of fat cats with SUV's, fat wallets and well fat waists.

I think instead of pushing and promoting bikes. We need to restrict cars.