After install, Folder icons in Explorer missing....Microsoft.com can't help

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by grazzhoppa, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I just installed Windows XP on a new hard drive (old computer though...ie processor, ram) and everything is peachy except the small icons in Explorer's (not Internet Explorer) folder view are missing. So are the small icons that are usually next to the favorites in the favorites view in Internet Explorer. This isn't a dire problem but it's extremely hard to navigate in Explorer and to tell which folders are shared on the network. And it's impossible to tell whether a line in the favorites view in IE is a folder or an actual webpage.

I checked the folder options in Explorer and didn't see anything that would fix it. Microsoft's "knowledge base" doesn't have what I'm looking for, I've spent a good amount of time trying all different searches.

Thanks.

Here's a picture showing IE favorites on the left and the folder view in Explorer on the right. As you can see, there's no icons. It's a spilt view of some screenshots...excuse the extremelly sloppy editing, I'm not good with that sort of stuff.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Most icon related problems are due to how icons cache, could it be possible that your system needs more RAM. (Since every incarnation of Windows requires more and more of the stuff).

You might trying messing with the BIOS settings for "Palette snooping" or "shadow ram" etc.

It might fix your problem.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

This seems to happen to my computer A-LOT!! It has happened with Windows 95, 98, and ME. Also, some of the desktop icons get transparent and light colored. Same with the quick launch bar. The only think I've found to fix this (in fact, it's the only thing I've tried) is a program called WinSpeedUp by ScriptSoft. It has a section in it to repair Windows Icons. Also has a lot of other cool stuff. You can get it free from ScriptSoft's website, but I think you need to register (pay for) the program to use the icon fix thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.