Windows Question

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Spector, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

I was wondering how I would go about removing Windows XP from my system and going with Windows ME instead. Last time I reformatted, I went with XP from the beginning, so I don't know if this is possible or not. I would like to keep all of my current data in their directories, while only changing my OS. Is this possible??? Any help is greeeeatly appreciated!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whaoooo there. are you sure you want to downgrade to possibly the worst OS ever made? at least jump to win 2000.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. odin Registered Senior Member

I think Win98SE is better than ME!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm not going to force Linux on you... But I would go with Mandrake if you want a GUI point and click OS.

8. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

It's just that XP is such a resource hog. I dunno, should I honestly stick with XP? Windows 98 SE is a possibility I guess... and linux... that's just scary, lets not go there, I know nothing about that kinda stuff. So that brings me back to my question... how would I get xp off my system, and 98 on.. without disturbing my data. And also... just curious... whats so bad about Windows ME?

9. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

And what exactly is mandrake? Keep in mind that I use my comp mainly for gaming and audio recording.

10. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Mandrake is a distro of Linux (i believe its from France...but don't worry, its not in French unless you want it to be). It's got a really clean interface, supports a LOT of hardware out of the box and is probably the best trade off between OS bloat and easy of use. RedHat is probably easier to use but you sacrifice CPU cycles and a lot of storage space for it unless you know what you're doing. If you feel like giving Linux a try, try out Mandrake. They are a great linux distro that unfortuately doesn't really know how to manage their finances too well so the company may be changing forms, who knows.

-AntonK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.