What Internet Connection do you have???

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by ElectricFetus, Mar 7, 2003.

?

What Internet Connection do you have???

1. Modem

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. DSL or ISDN

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Wireless (like me :-))

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Satellite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cable

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. T1

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. T3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (explain)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

What Internet Connection do you have??? What upload and Download Speeds do you get? What Ave. ping do you get? Like the serves any problems?

I have Wireless IEEE 802.11.
    - 300-560Mbs Download, 200-500Mbs upload
    - ping as low as 70ms
    - Ips is not static but remains the same for serval weeks.
    - connection is very stable and has only gone down once when lightning hit the main server tower.
    - $40 a month.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

for my speed. as low as $20 a month for 128MB both ways.

If this poll is gets to nerdy a moderator can move it, its ok

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Cooked,
    Do you have a wireless hub or a wireless provider?

I've got Verizon DSL going into a hub, which then connects to 3 different computers and a wireless hub (which my computer and my neighbor uses)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

DSL at home. at lab it's T1ish.

i can't imagine life with a dial up. it's unbearable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Eli Z Registered Senior Member

I'm addicted to my ADSL

8. ralph nader Banned Banned

i jack it into a jar of Whiz and then drop it in a can of gas and light it. it works pretty good.

Ralph, what has this to do with the subject? Please stop with these type messages and get with the topic if you wish to respond. wet1

9. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

I have Comcast cable. About 256KB downstream (under optimal conditions), mind you, KB , kiloBYTES, not bits, I am not a sales person (otherwise this would be listed as around 2600 Kb). Upload is less, maybe around half, give or take.

I had AT&T Roadrunner cable until AT&T sold their sorry arses out to Comcast (thank god! AT&T sucked) My cable works great for me at home.

ADSL is usually more stable (less packet loss and is not as prone to being intermittent) and you are guaranteed a certain amount of bandwidth, but it is generally slower and you get higher pings (unless you are fortunate enough to have constant.com DSL, or a corporate DSL line)

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Wireless provider as well as wireless modem.

11. Reid Registered Senior Member

I'm on a students connection, probably one of the better here in Sweden, 10Mbit. I have had download speeds up to 950KB/s

And it cost me about 12$/month

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Holy shit!

you lucky son of...

13. Mopar_Mezz Registered Member

cable with linksys router...

about 300Mb/s connection between my computer and my bro's server.

DL's are usually 300Kb/s, depending on host speed.
    game pings (such as america's army) are usually around 60-130, unless the AAO server lags, and everyones ping goes to about 3000... but thats only a couple of servers runnin about 24 people at a time.

pay about $15/month for modem (rent), and $20/month for service, but the service fee's have been goin up a bit lately.

14. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

300 megabits per second is not a valid ethernet protocol, and there's nothing that ranges in between.

Ethernet protocols are 10, 100, and 1,000 megabits (1,000 being a gigabit, and only on the latest networking devices).

Of course, I am using bits in this example, which I hate to deal with. I continue my voice that the bit data size should be abolished and we should have bytes only.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Firewire is 400Mbs and USB 2.0 is 460Mbs... both have PC to PC connectability. Ethernet only comes in 10/100Mbit with the new 1Gbit standard still rare and not installed on most corporation produced "crap" machines (Dell, Compac, Gateway ...ect) .

16. Mopar_Mezz Registered Member

to clear sumthin up...

i use a program called "SecureFX" to DL and upload stuffs between my computer and my bro's server. it usually ranges from 280Mb/s to 340Mb/s.

DL'ing stuffs from the internet however, using FlashGet, ranges from 200-300 kb/s depending on host.

17. immane1 Registered Senior Member

No fair! I hate you all!
    For now, I am getting by with a dial-up connection at home. Average connection speed? A blazing 48k. At work, (thank goodness) I have T1, which keeps me from going insane. Looks like I must step into the 21st century and get high speed soon.

18. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Well that may be, but this SecureFX program would have to go through some other hardware aside from ethernet, because it doesn't support such rates unless you have a gigabit adapter (then you are being limited by your PC's speed).

Maybe you are using IEEE 1394A (Firewire, as Fetus put it) or USB 2.0 for that.

19. CaptainThor Registered Member

I have ATT cable, but comcast is moving in soon here in Seattle. I hope it doesn't get any slower. I used to get about 500 kb upload and download sometimes, now I'm down to about 100 kb average, it can peak at 300, but gets down 20 sometimes. (and no, not different sites for downloading, but speed test, i'm just really throwing these numbers out there, but Im sure they're somewhat close.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.