Should i go Zero?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by psychomantyss, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok i had CRAPOL but they reciently cacelled my account (but hey i got three months of no bill out of the deal) so i was thinking of getting netzero for $9.95 a month. i've got the free version of it, and it's downloads speeds are OK but the popups are killer and it kicks me off after 10 mins of idle use. so should i get the subscription to netzero? has anyone had problems with it? also if i do get it does anyone know of a good popup ad killer to get?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I have netzero.

The thing is, if you just want to use the internet for surfing occassionaly, and don't want to pay a whole bundle, then Netzero should be fine for you. It serves me well and at a good price (to my parents). The only problem is that it keeps the phoneline busy. But at $10 a month it's a steal, and the only adds I have to deal with are the log on ones.

If you have a problem with the phone-line then I'd just unbuckle my purse and go broadband. If I were in charge of the bills at my house I'd take the spill and just do it. Broadband is definately superior and worth every penny, IMHO. Unfortunately, it's my parents who don't see the need.

The one thing I do hate is how it goes Idle

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. If any knows how to stop that, then please inform me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. so for paying customers also if your time is idle it will boot you off?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Netzero user

I've had it for several months and generally I've been satisfied.

For an upstart company, they have an amazing number of phone numbers. There are about six where we live, which is a county with a total population of less than 100,000 people, the widest spot in the road for 300 miles in either direction. They have something like 50 numbers in Washington DC. You'll never get a busy signal.

Two gripes. It has its own taskbar that goes on top of EVERYTHING, there's no way to suppress it. So it squeezes my screen height down by just a little bit more. That's a pain in the Yahoo game room, it cuts the top or the bottom off of the chess or go window so I have to hide the windows task bar. You can move the bar to the top or the bottom of the screen, but that's it. No way to make it go away. And it's a totally useless taskbar, there's nothing on it that anyone will ever need except one button that moves it from the top to the bottom of the screen. Whoopee.

The other problem is the automatic disconnect that you mentioned. It's worse than that. It apparently does not recognize the message traffic of a chess or go game. I'm sitting there planning my next move and I get a 45 second countdown window that says I've been "idle" too long and if I don't push the button I'll get cut off. Fortunately it has never happened while I was in the bathroom or something and made me forfeit a game.

That said, their people are remarkably unflappable. I've sent some really angry messages and they reply back all sweet and kind and fast like they're so sorry. They said the way to avoid being timed out during a game is just to diddle something on their stupid task bar, which is always there anyway.

But if you're worried about being timed out while you actually are idle and nowhere near the computer, I think you're out of luck.

And if you're interested because they're cheap, I'd advise you to do what I did and pay a year in advance. All of these ISP's raise their rates as soon as they become popular.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Yeah, unfortunately the idle thing cannot be fixed. That's my only real problem with netzero (other than slow download speeds).

There were a few times when I wanted to download something over night while I slept. Unfortunately it can't be done. Like I said, however, Netzero is cheap and fairly reliable. You can't go wrong if your looking for a dependable internet connection.

9. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

I have seen a program for AOL users that keep that idle computer thing from happening. It answers "YES" to the question "Do you wish to stay online?". Also, read the terms of use for Juno and Netzero. They turn your computer into a slave for them and can cancel you if you don't go online if/when they tell you to. It also includes spyware to see what sites you visit. They then sell that info to other third party companies. Luckily they don't send personal info. MSN also offers a cheap internet, but you are limited in hours. I think AOL does, too. If you're not bothered by spyware then Netzero should be fine. But I can imagine the work they make your computer do would slow it down a bit.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Spyware?? What? I've never heard of that. Actually, I think my bitrates should be a bit higher, but since when was there spyware on Netzero?

And when do I have to go online? That's never been the case for me. They let me stay off the net as long as I want. :bugeye:

11. well i've got ad aware 5 plus that i, ummm, "purchased", yeah that's it, no problem with the spyware, but i was wanting to know that if i actually payed for the service then would the banner still be up and would the idle time still happen?
    -BTW i've got the newest version of netzero and it says that if i pay for it the banner will dissapear.

12. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

Have you read the Terms of Service?????
    Here is a brief listing of some of the items listed in the Terms.
    Last time I read these, Juno was by itself (not with NetZero) and it was more clearly written. Since then they have fuzzed things up a bit. So I will interpret some of these messages with what I had read before.

"Software Downloads. As part of the NetZero Service, NetZero may from time to time download software owned by NetZero or third parties to your computer. Your use of the NetZero Service constitutes your consent to such downloads. "

This is the "enslaving software". These programs use your computer's processor to compute information while on- or off-line. When the program finishes, it needs to send the info back to Juno/Netzero. If you do not go online within a certain amount of time (could be days or weeks), Juno/Netzero will ask you to go online. In their terms of Service, it says they can terminate you for any reason with or without notice. This would be one of their reasons.

"Collection and Use of Personal Information. NetZero will collect, store, compile and utilize information about you, your computer, your phone number and your use of the NetZero Services including, without limitation, information regarding the Web sites you visit and information that you provide in response to NetZero questionnaires, surveys and registration forms. NetZero may provide this information to third parties including advertisers, clients, marketing organizations and others. However, NetZero will not disclose your name, address, telephone number, credit card number(s), e-mail addresses or other personal identifying information to third parties other than those acting on behalf of NetZero, unless you give NetZero consent to do so or except as may be required by law. Please refer to the Privacy Statement for the NetZero privacy policies and information practices. "

This is the Spyware.....

"Bypassing or Disabling Any Portion of the NetZero Services or Software. If you bypass or disable any portion of the NetZero Services or software, including, without limitation, the blocking of cookies, or blocking the operation of the ZeroPort, or you attempt to circumvent NetZero's billing of you in any way, you are in violation of these Terms and Conditions and we may suspend or terminate your use of NetZero Services without notice. Termination of your NetZero Services will not excuse you from any criminal or other civil liabilities that may result from your actions. If your NetZero Service is terminated for any reason you will be unable to access your NetZero account, including any undelivered email messages in your NetZero email account. "

Ad-blockers......
    They can punish you for using ad-blockers because it violates the terms of service you agreed upon.

"Policy to Terminate Use of Services for Copyright Infringement
    Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 512 as amended by Title II of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, NetZero will terminate the account of any subscriber who uses his or her account privileges to unlawfully transmit copyrighted material without a license, valid defense or fair use privilege to do so. After proper notification by the copyright holder or its agent to NetZero and later confirmation through court order or an admission by the subscriber that an account has been an instrument of unlawful infringement, NetZero will terminate the infringing subscriber's account. NetZero may also in its sole discretion decide to terminate a subscriber's account privileges prior to that time if it has good faith belief that infringement has occurred. In addition, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 512(c), NetZero has implemented procedures for receiving written notification of claimed infringements and for processing such claims in accordance with the Act. NetZero respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our subscribers to do the same."

Kazaa.......

"You agree that Juno is not responsible for any email or attachments that are blocked or deleted for any reason and that you have no right, and Juno has no obligation, to retrieve or access any such deleted or blocked email or attachments.You acknowledge that Juno may implement prioritization practices in connection with accessing the Service and that your ability to establish and maintain a connection to the Service may be limited, in connection with such practices or otherwise. You acknowledge that any limits Juno establishes may differ for different portions of the Service, and in particular may be set at different levels for subscribers based on factors determined in Juno's sole discretion, which may or may not include, among others, a subscriber's chosen service level, specific usage patterns, geographic location, the particular telecommunications carrier through which a connection to the Service is attempted or established, and/or a subscriber's participation in certain programs designed to generate revenues for Juno. You acknowledge that Juno may restrict or limit the use of third party software or services in connection with the Services.You also acknowledge that Juno reserves the right to change these general practices and limits at any time, in its sole discretion, with or without notice. "

If you do not answer their surveys and such, you may get "prioritized" to the bottom of the list, get busy signals and get dropped. They also favor certain phone companies.

"Juno may discontinue or alter any service level or aspect of the Service at any time, without notice, without liability and in Juno's sole discretion. "

Watch out for that one....

I'm not saying this stuff always does or will happen. Just saying, as in the terms of service, that this stuff COULD happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.