Can an IP number be traced to a phone number?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by clandestiny, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clandestiny Registered Member

I have someone sending me malicious emails. I have his IP number. Is it POSSIBLE to trace him? In other words, is it possible to determine what phone number was used to contact his IP if the time of his email is known? Would appreciate help stopping this jerk. Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Hmmmm, I don't know Stryder, sounds to me like a pedophile trying to track down a victim. Look he just registered and this is his first post. What are you going to do with their phone number anyhow, call them up and curse them out? A better idea would be to go to the police.

If you are really having these troubles, and know this person's ISP, send an abuse report to their ISP with their IP number at the exact time the e-mail was sent, then they should be able to take care of it for you.

If it is bothering you that much, you can go to the police and pursue harassment charges.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I can't really tell you how to go about "tracking down" the in individual with his IP. Since it's a bit more than just point a finger at him and as Clarentavious mentioned I'm not sure if it would be a good idea just telling someone how to go about doing that.

How ever I could try and find some information out, but I would need to see what was previously sent if you haven't already deleted the stuff.

(Make sure you include the headers, although you can mask your e-mail address).

If you can do that I can help, if you can't then I'm sorry but there isn't much I can tell you to do other than either:

Collect the e-mails + headers for a while then launch a complaint to the ISP to which he has access.

Or

Delete all his mail, don't even read it and just ignore him and hope he goes away.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. clandestiny Registered Member

Clarentavious: Why not just say "I don't know" instead of accusing me of being a pedifile. I am the father of two and the grandfather of three. Mine was a legitimate question which deserved a legitimate answer. The "authorities" have already been informed. The IP has already been informed. With a phone number, I can hand the police the person's name and address by using a reverse phone directory. The police can't find it. The IP won't stop it. I just thought that "hackers" might know more than the police about computers. Yes, this was my first post and will also be my last. Thankd for nothing. You're an asshole.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Whooaaa Nelly,

I had the same thoughts as Clarentavious. Why should we just assume that you're NOT a pedophile? Maybe you are. Maybe you're not. The point is you're taking the wrong approach, completely.

Keep on harrasing the police and/or ISP and get them to do something if it becomes a real problem. Otherwise, I'd just do as Stryder mentioned and ignore the mail. Either way you don't seem like a very respectable person.

9. clandestiny Registered Member

Not respectable? Pedophile? Enough of this. Fuck both of you.

10. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Clandestiny, you came here looking for help, once they give it to you, you insult them? This is not any way to treat anybody. Clarentavious is mearly pointing out that you could be anybody, users of the net have no faces, therefore why should we believe you are not a pedophile because you could be one. They have given you legitimate answers. Elbaz said that you are not a respectable person by what we have witnessed, you have done nothing but dish out insults when you should be thanking these people for the legitimate advice they have given you.
    Now, take your advice and leave before you get into some serious trouble sonny jim.

11. CaptainThor Registered Member

I believe some can be traced somehow, because I know you can pin point where an IPs are hopping from (there's an app, I forget whats its called but can tell the general location of IPs). Now, if your behind a router or some setup where you have Dynamic IPs, I don't think any program could the IP.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually If someone is running a network they can apply information in a bunch of places, some information is usually available through the "whois" command but that get's you the network information not the single machine your after.
    (although it narrows down the area)

Some IP's when set up are asked to provide a "Location" which is the Longitude and Latitude reference. The thing here is that rogue server structures can pretty much supply anywhere.
    The only way of finding out if it's a rogue server is through how long it takes to "ping" that server.

For instance if it's a server with a domain name that your checking out, you have to drop the server to it's IP address and ping that (this way your not pinging through a DNS server which would increase the time it takes)

The way some trace systems have been set up is through the use of "pings" and triangulation to work out an approximation of your location.

(Although this method might not always take into consideration the method the ping travels, since it can be through copperwire, Fibre optic cable or Radio Frequency (satellite for Water bodied crossings).

There is more information you can get on an actual system but that takes more "Social Engineering".
    (This is when you find more detailed information about the person your looking at.)

How ever I refuse to explain "Social Engineering" in depth because of the implications of how it can be used. If you want to find out more on that you'll have to look for the appropiate source through a Newsgroup or something.

13. is it possible you could give me the IP #? and i don't mean it in a sexual pedoplhilic way, you pervs.

14. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

illegal

unless you get a government based agency to help you im pretty sure tracing someone's IP adress is Illegal

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: illegal

um... no... this website is tracking you IP address.
    And it's at your internet provider's discretion to forward complaints aimed at your IP address.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If it was illegal to trace your ip, your computer wouldn't be able to talk to any others on the internet. Afterall a computer you'd greet wouldn't be able to say "HI" back because it would automatically know where the message was being delivered.

The people that spoof (And spoof well... ish) tend to try and wipe their traces out, by using Servers that have got some privilege weakness. Which means most of the time a person is left with a dead end at some log file that an administrator won't disclose (as disclosing their log would be illegal).

Tracing through acting as a detective and piecing together information isn't illegal. (unless you start stalking them, writing them love letters and sending dead flowers to their door. Which is why most people that know how to do such things are a little apprehendsive about showing how)

17. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's just me but isn't an email standard to have some sort of date/time that it was sent? I know it can easily be changed, but usually people don't bother with it.

If an ISP (or bouncer co.)is given an IP and a date they can easily narrow it down to a person and depending on your complaint and logs (you always have to give logs) they can notify the proper authorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.