Is Homosexuality psycological or biological?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mrhero54, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

For a long time i thought homosexuality was the result of a skewed childhood or personal choice. But i've read studies that showed alot of homosexual males had a region in the brain that was 10% smaller than a heterosexual male. This region was credited for sex drive and the homosexual male's region was equivalent to that of a women. The study was ongoing and actually conducted by a homosexual doctor. This makes me wonder if homosexuality is a "choice" or perhaps a brain abnormality?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neville Registered Senior Member

Personally i think it's psychological but it could be biological. There was a programme not too long ago (in England) about gay animals. What biological need would there be for gayness though?! (homosexuality).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Perhaps no biological need but a biological abnormality, this suggest homosexuality could be cured if it had a biological origin.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

to Mrero54

Why would you want to cure homosexuality?

8. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

has anyone ever viewed the actual brain of a homosexual compared to a so-called "normal" brain? the differences are very interesting.

9. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Yes, that's exactly what the homosexual doctor was doing (first post). And if i remember correctly he was upset with his results. The homosexual had a region of their brain that was related to sex drive and it was the size of a womens rather than a heterosexual male.

10. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Re: to Mrero54

Personally, peoples perferences tend not to bother me unless their ignorant, but i'm pretty sure their are homo's that would die to be "normal"

11. Neville Registered Senior Member

but couldn't the stigma of homosexuality mean a decreae in actual sex/sexual activity anyway and so a decrease in sexula behaviour causes a decrease in the corresponding brain area? i.e. pscyhology influences (->) biology.

12. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

If i follow you correctly, a child born with a normal bring could somehow be influenced toward homosexuality, thus a shrinkage in his brain region.

Valid logic.

So you are supporting the idea of homosexuality as a choice. Therefore, people don't have to be gay, they choose too.

13. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

does anyone know of any animals studies on the subject?

14. Neville Registered Senior Member

Well there are gay animals spacemanspiff!

15. immane1 Registered Senior Member

I think some gay people choose to be gay, and some seem to be born this way. No facts to back this up, just personal observation. A friend of mine that I went to high school with had his father leave his mother for "another man". What the heck is THAT all about?

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think they are born gay and I don't know how a straight person could argue with that. Did you "choose" to be attracted to females? I didn't and I think if you did you might be repressing something.
    Absolutely, I saw an hour long documentary on the subject. It is prevelant with most animals despit the fact we don't hear about it much. Some animals clearly don't take sex too seriously and just bone whatever but there was a pair of leopard seals I found particularly fascinating. A pair of males had formed a life bond and were very affectionate towards eachother. They would litterally chase females away.
    The doco' also had lesbian gazelles,pedophilic apes and elephant seals and bisexual ducks among loads of other things.
    I found it fascinating, I wonder why you never hear about it? Religious conspiracy? :bugeye:

17. Neville Registered Senior Member

Refreshing posts Dr Lou Natic!

18. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

19. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

20. Neville Registered Senior Member

This actually still happens today. A ritual for a tribe, a South American one i believe, is for the father to give his teenage son (teenage being 13) to another man from the tribe and it is his job to 'educate' the young boy in the ways of homosexuality. The boy is 'his' until his 17th birthday (i think) and needless to say that the boy doesnt get much option of what he does or doesnt wish to partake in. It is up to his 'owner'.

21. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

I actually heard of this in ancient greek culture. the exact same practice, The older greek male would tutor the younger male hence the word mentor. But are these children subject to this practice going to become "practicing homo's" or perhaps supressed homo's or what?

22. Neville Registered Senior Member

Well i was going to continue the post Mrhero54 but i thoght i'd wait to see the replies. No i dont think they go on to be 'homo's' (lol). I think they have a female partner arranged for them and they get married as they leave their 'metor' (i think). Apparently, i read, that they believe these years of homosexuality make them great lovers for woemn, though i cant see how!

Maybe cos they know what a woman must feel like when they have a d*ck up their *** (

) and they learn to be more gentle.Who knows!

23. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

well, this whole being raised gay goes into the who problem of nature vs nurture in general. why is it that i find certain things sexually atractive? is there something inheritly appealing about a woman with a C cup? or is it cultural. I tend to like women with dark hair. is this because of my genes or was i somehow influenced to do so when i was young?

the better question is sexuality biological or pychological or both?