new microsoft os?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by yumyum, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

windows xp was relessed in oct 2001. Has any one heard anything about a new microsoft os to come later this year or early 2004. If you could add any new features to the os what would they be?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Its called Longhorn...I've got a copy of the alpha...far too buggy for me to actually use. The requirements keep going UP and UP and UP...

If you google for microsoft longhorn you should find some reviews of the alpha.

-AntonK

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. norad Registered Senior Member

AntonK

That is the name, for now. Could you explain the bugs? And what do they recommend to run this thing? Let me guess-a Pentium 3.6 GHz!?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bachus Registered Senior Member

You mean it will be released soon?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. norad Registered Senior Member

Bachus

Far too funny! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SanDolphin61 Registered Senior Member

So the New Mac OS is Jaguar and the new PC OS is called Longhorn..........:bugeye:

10. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

CORRECTION...Longhorn is the new MICROSOFT OS...the new PC OS is [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE DISTRO NAME HERE] LINUX!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-AntonK

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

the inserted name would be "Booyakasha" Linux.

12. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

They do have a new one, although I've not heard much about it. It's called Lindows and is supposed to be a mix of Linux and Windows. Linux stability with Windows interface. Kind of interesting, I think.

13. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Lindows has NOTHING to do with Microsoft (other than the lawsuit for the naming issue). Microsoft in no way is supporting Lindows. Lindows is a flavor of Linux which uses the underlying linux kernel and a fancy (high memory footprint and cpu hogging) desktop interface for the X-Windows Server. It's gui interface is designed to look like windows and it includes integrate WINE which is not really a Windows emulator (since it doesn't actually emulate it) but it can be thought of one. It allows linux users to run a good number of windows software programs, including Microsoft Office. Lindows is being marketed to the masses as a possible replacement OS for Microsoft Windows and being sold as part of a cheap computer package at WalMarts.

I've used it. It's not that great in my opion. It does a good job of looking like Microsoft Windows, including all the bad parts unfortunately. I'd prefer RedHat 8 as a home user Linux distro. Or even Lycosis which is another company trying to do the same thing as Lindows. I wish them all the best, I support anything to bring in a replacement for Microsoft's 85% profit margins.

-AntonK

14. ok winXP is going out so in the new windows do you think they should have the theme, you know purple green pretty clickables.
    i personally despise it.

15. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

longhorn is just the code name for the new windows, not the official release name (I suspect it will be Windows 2004 or something oh so very creative like that). Whistler was the codename for XP before it was released, just like Longhorn is the codename for the new OS. Blackcomb, Whistler, and Longhorn are all spots in B.C. Canada.

The real interesting thing is the Palladium integration that the new version of windows is going to implement. Read up on here .

You can also get screenshots here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.