Dreams: Applied meaning to random impulses?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by one_raven, Mar 2, 2003.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I posted this on the parapsychology forum because they were talking about dreams, but it got ignored.
    I am hoping it got ignored because it is so seldom traveled a forum and not because the post is stupid.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I decided to try it here, it seems to fit better here anyway, since I am looking for a scientific appraoch to this question more than people talking about how dreams are all about precognition.

------

I have read a theory somewhere that when you sleep your brain fires off random neural impulses in it's rest state.
    Your mind (when it is in a more conscious state) tries to apply cognizant thought to these impulses that it does not recognize in an attempt to "understand" them and relate them to what you know.

I am not sure of how I feel about this, but one thing that points to the validity of this claim is my thought process in (or just before) that in-between state of waking and sleep.
    When I am just about start falling asleep and someone is talking to me and trying to have a conversation, one of two things will generally happen.

1.) I will "snap out of it" and wake up to the conversation.
    2.) My mind will respond with totally non-sensical replies (that I will not say out loud because I am still lucid enough to know they make no sense).
    For example: I am falling asleep and my girlfriend asks, "What time are we going to the beach tomorrow?" My mind will hear this question and the reply to the question in my head will be something like, "The dog hair triangle blue French".

Any thoughts on this theory (or the validity of my sanity

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

electric sheep

ummm, i'm not so sure about your sanity.

not a ton is know for sure about dreams or about sleep for that matter. One theory that i am familiar with is that during sleep the brain goes over various memories from the previous day in order to strengthen them. this would imply that you would dream of the day you just had. but as I can say from experience dreams do often seem to have some sort of meaning. maybe I've been thinking about something alot and i have a dream about it. that makes sense i guess. but then there are the seemingly random dreams. I really don't know how to explain those, and i don't think anyone really does (sorry).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. xelius00 Registered Senior Member

Fascinating... I would really like to help out here, I'm intrigued by dreams. Too bad I never remember the ones I have. Ever.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.