Your Favorite Lan Games

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by DJ Erock, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

my friends and i have recently gotten the equipment and started having lan parties. the only problem is, we only have 3 main games, starcraft, quake 3 arena, and unreal tournament. i would like your suggestion for the best lan games to get, and don't say diablo 2, its not that fun to run around and click on stuff.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

SOLDIER OF FORTUNE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. immane1 Registered Senior Member

Battlefield 1942 rules! Best shooter yet. Not only is it one of the most realistic shooters, you can drive tanks, fly planes, pilot ships, man anti-aircraft guns etc.. And if you download the Desert Combat mode, you have modern hardware at your disposal.
    Halflife and MOH seem to be quite popular too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

thanks, keep em' coming, and maybe something besides 1st person shooter...?

8. Mopar_Mezz Registered Member

1nsane (Insane). it's an off-road racing game. only problem is CMN (Codemasters Multiplayer Network) is closing may 1st due to not many people or sumthin... you CAN however play through gamespy.

check it out! it's cool.. http://www.codemasters.com/previews/insane/index.htm

9. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I haven't been able to get more than two players on a Descent game.

10. CaptainThor Registered Member

Probably CS, if I play with anyone, we go and play online with others as well.

11. Ice Princess Registered Member

BEST LAN GAME

Has to be Battlefield 1942. Hands down.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A group of my friends & I host "nerd parties" for BF1942 usually every three weeks and have an absolute blast shooting, running over, or just bombing the heck out of each other. It's not really that hard to learn either. And as an ADDED BONUS: You should SEE the faces of some of the couples who blow each other up!! LOL!

You'll have to let us know which one you choose!

Ice

12. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

Re: DJ Erock is gay

You registered just to post that? Ok

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyways, I remember back in the day when we would have some good ol' Starcraft fun. Halflife is pretty cool although I didn't get too much into it. Shogo was actually a fun game to play but that's also a FPS. Can't really think of any other non FPS games.

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Okay, FPS games without bots are pretty pointless on small LAN games so games like Quake 3, UT (and now UT:2k3) and BF:1942 are the best ones. Counterstrike isn't good unless you have at least 15 people going. Shogo was great, I still play that at times. Nice small levels so that's good.
    Why not try some classic FPS games such as Duke Nukem and even Doom. They're still fun for a blast. We play them regulary on the standard PC's during our Computing lessons.

RTS games are usually a blast on LAN. Forging and breaking alliances.
    Try some of the Command and Conquers. I'd advise Red Alert 2, but how about Generals when it is released in a few weeks?
    Total Annihilation is a must for LAN. The amount of fun I had with that game over the years is amazing and you can get it so cheaply (£5 in the UK)

One game I found great on LAN was Hardwar. If you can find that then you are in for a treat! It's very similar to Elite on the Speccy and will kill a few hours.

Racing games are great too as you usually get bots with them too. Perhaps some Touring Car games or some arcady ones. WipEout 2097 (XL to the yanks) is still a great game. Rally games are pretty fun on LAN too. Formula 1 games are usually too frustrating to play and a room full of frustrated people isn't very good.

My advise is to stick with the style of games the PC does best, the FPS and the RTS genres.

FPS - First Person Shooter
    RTS - Real Time Strategy
    For those who didn't know

14. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

thanks, we haven't gotten a chance to try them all out yet, but we got another lp comin up friday. and for anyone who plays lan games, ghost recon is a must

15. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Flash News: Owen gets his ass kicked

Come to will's friday while were boxing, i dare you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.