Help wif password cracking please

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by roadblock, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Hey, i have an old laptop which has windows 98, i haven't used to for many years and now i can't remember my password i had.
    It is a startup password, (one that comes up as soon as you turn your computer on) I have some very important notes on this computer so would someone please be able to tell me how to get past this.

Thanx heaps

Rob

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. odin Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

That's a password in the BIOS if it comes up before windows loads. You probably could Flash the bios, which means you earase it and put a clean version on, BUT 1) I'm not entirely sure it's in the BIOS 2)Flashing the BIOS can kill your computer if you don't do it right and 3)I don't know if it'll effect your computer if it does work.

The best way would be to just search around the internet looking for something along of the lines of password recovery rather than cracking.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It is more than likely to be BIOS. On the older machines there might well be a Jumper that can be Moved from one setting to another to discharge the board.

There might also be a batterie that too can be removed.

Some boards don't have the jumper, in their cases your usually left with pulling anything connected to the motherboard off and leaving it for a day or two, then reconnecting it all back together.

Just note that if you manage to get the discharging done, you will have to reconfigure your BIOS again. So you might want to check also on the internet for setting the BIOS for that particular laptop.

8. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

try this site:
    http://blacksun.box.sk

There is supposed to be an article about BIOS passwords. Search through the tutorials.

9. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

Here! I found it. It's short and I don't think it would help though. It's talking about school, meaning that the computer on which you're supposed to be doing it is disposable...
    Anyway here it is:

http://blacksun.box.sk/tutorials.php?id=109

10. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Thanx heaps for your help guys, and thanx also for the links. You guys rock, although i'm not sure how to get to DOS from the Password screen??

Thanx

Rob

11. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Lol yeah i can see how that will be a problem. Can't you just remove the battery?

12. roadblock Registered Senior Member

Hey Guys

Umm nah, i can't just remove the battery cause thats only the power source. It won't reset anything. Its just like turning your desktop off and on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ne ways, thanx for your helps guys

Groove on all

Roadblock

13. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Here's what you need to do. Remove the battery. Remove the harddrive (just in case) then open the case. I know this sounds risky but seriously, laptops arent as magical as they seem. If you can, before hand, find the diagram of the inside of your laptop...sometimes u can find this on the manufacturer's website. Inside you'll find a smaller battery. This is the battery that maintains the clock on your laptop. Remove this. Leave it out for a while, long enough to discharge any capacitors that may be in the system. Place the battery back in and then replace the big battery. Then replace the harddrive.

Boot up the computer and then you should get the option to fix the bios settings for your harddrive and stuff. Once you do this, you should be able to boot into Win98.

-AntonK

14. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

And if all that fails, you can take the hard drive out, and hook it up to another PC, and that'll work. . . urm though I don't know how easy it would be for you to get the hard drive out of your lap top. . . works better with PCs I guess.

15. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Actually...it can be easier in a laptop. Most have swappable harddrives. But then again. If it is an old laptop, that might be different.

-AntonK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.