Role of Humor in Evolution

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by LionHearted, Feb 27, 2003.

1. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

What is the evolutionary role of humor? Why did a sense of humor make humans more likely to reproduce?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

off the top of my head i'm going to say that humor is part of socialization. and being social obviously important to survival. at least for humans in an evolutionary sense.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

wasn't laughter a spin off from fear?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

i've heard that. it's like a defense mechanism used in order to difuse a situation and avoid a fight. I think some animals apear to smile and laugh when they are atempting to avoid a fight with an animal that might kick their ass.

so are we talking about the act of laughter, or the concept of humor, such as jokes? the two seem different yet related to me.

8. LionHearted Registered Senior Member

The concept of humor such as jokes.

9. technicpeach Registered Member

10. Neville Registered Senior Member

I think laughter is a weakness i.e. when you really 'piss yourself' (

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) your muscles go weak rendering you helpless. Surely this is a weakness i.e. to laugh is to admit defeat on the topic in question.

(not a personal philosophy just a thought!)

*begins to read technicpeach's link*

edit-rephrased. From personal experience I would say that when an animal (a human at least) laughs it's muscles go weak. This renders the animal helpless for fight or flight. Surely then attempt at humour is a sign of defeat or at least a gesture of submission.

P.S. Hyenas dont really laugh do they?? :bugeye: lol

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  11. eggie Registered Member

humour i think, was a spinoff of what in linguitics is called "flouting of grice's maxims", and is thereby a social, not biological phenomenon.

as in.... when u make a joke, it's generally when ur not adhering to the "maxims" of truth, relevance, quantity and something else i can't remember. there are four maxims.

btw, what about smiling? i've heard that apart from the singnalling a non threatening state, it also suppresses the gagging reflex. but baring your teeth

in most animal species is a sign of aggression rather than approachability?

12. passive observer Registered Member

once again

Humor is an adaptation not evolution. The only evolution is the upward spiraling of ego. Please humble yourselves.

13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

So, could dry wit be considered a predatory action designed to weed out the weakest of a group?

BTW, two cannibals are sitting around eating a clown, one turns to the other and says, "does this taste funny to you?"

14. MiKi Registered Member

humour

Quote from Neville is excellent. When we are standing around in a group, bending over holding our sides, our mouths hanging open, with the sound turned off even, we are in a state of HILARITY and this is most distinctly human.
    In contrast, dry wit, is an attempt of individual defeat of an opponent in verbal display.

15. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Do any other animals laugh??

16. twobob Registered Senior Member

Tickle a chimp

]

There is an afterglow of chemicals in your brain when you have survived personal peril. The retelling of these tales, and the resultant release of those chemicals as a response, is the genesis of comedy.

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Apparently dogs laugh but we can't hear or see it. Well there is a device you can buy to put on your dogs collar to notice when they are laughing. Possibly just a load to make money.

I think jokes and laughter would have started from our ancestors making narrow escapes. So yeah like a spinoff of fear. Say they got attacked by a cave bear and ran away, once they realised they were safe they all would have had a laugh. The transition from extreme fear to extreme relief probably causes it. Today we can make "comedy" which has that swift transition from one emotion to another to cause the same affect, but it probably started with situations like I mentioned.
    Like maybe one ancient homonid would climb a tree to pick fruits and fall out, once his onlooking friends realised he was ok they would laugh, stuff like that.
    I don't think it is necesarrily a trait we required to survive, more like a trait that made it through the evolutionary strainer because we are a social species, laughter being a natural reaction to emotional transitions. Same with crying.

18. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Good point Doctor Lou:
    Laughter is like a release! I suppose it could be considered a release of fear! You are correct in both examples: laughter does seem to mostly come after a scare, but only when no harm had come of it.

I don't think much to your example though:

. I think my examples are probably worse though!