Trasfering files from old PC to new

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by John Mace, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Mace Registered Senior Member

I have an old PC with windows 98 using outlook express. Just got a new one with windows XP and outlook.

Is there a simple way to sync up the address books and messages? Seems like outlook exp uses a different format than outlook. Tried using the handy dandy file x-fer wiz in win XP, but it overloads the 1.4M floppy and never finishes (not with files from old PC, but just the set up files from the new PC). x-fer wiz says to use 1.4M floppy, but it bombs out every time.

I also tried to just copy the files manually, but can't seem to find where they would go in the new system. No .pst file to be found even when searching hidden folders. (Been using the new system a bit, so it should have at least a small address book and file with the few messages I've sent.)

I keep thinking this shold be SO easy, but I can't seem to get anything to work.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Try putting files, like your outlook addresses to cd. Use the file>import/export menu to tell it to look to the cd for the old addy's.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Mace Registered Senior Member

I tried that. Outlook Express in Win 98 exports a .wab file, but Outlook in Win XP seems to only want to import .pab files. It won't even recognize a .wab file. I tried tricking it by reanming the file w/ a .pab extension, but the sucker was on to me!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Actually, I had a ulitity included to transfer what files I wanted from computer to computer through a serial cable. It is slow but it works. I think if I were you I would see if I could not make them vcf files to import or if you can not do that then the only thing else is to manually enter them.

Good luck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.