What do you think about File Sharing?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by ralph nader, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph nader Banned Banned

File Sharing

do you think that the music industry is gettng carried away with the file sharing issue?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

yehh... why should i buy a cd when i only like one track from it which isn't the single? dont get me wrong.. i always buy cds of artists i really like... im not buyin a bloody swollen members cd when i only like one track... id rather download it and burn it.. and if i can do it for free, why not... and they overprice the cds... i'll only pay for artists if i care abt their music genuinely.. e.g. radiohead

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

BTW, I've altered the topic Title so it's not so generalised as there have been other topics on file sharing, usually asking which program is the best to use.

If you look at file sharing properly you can understand that people want to protect their hard work and get paid for doing a job. But when you get a $3000 program, how can you justify it's price? I mean it can be printed for less that $2, boxed for another $2, and then sold at $3000.

As for "Music", how much money do the artists actually receive?
    I ask this purely because the percentage that the large companies pay to the artists can be a pittance.

Whats to stop someone downloading a "Cover" of a song, as it might have been produced differently without the large corporate backers.

Another great point is you can pick up a radio and tune it in to a radio station, you can listen to music, but the industry is trying to tell you you can't download it to hear it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, this should teach the record industry to take down its prices if it wants to compete, and give more money to the artists, instead of cheating them out of their hard work. I'm all for it because it seems to be paving the way for a future where we won't have a middleman charging us eighteen dollars for an hour's music. Rather, we'll be able to pick what we want and get as much as we want for low prices, and most of the money will go to the artists.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You go to the store, you buy a CD, you want to play it in the CDrom of your computer, you find out you can't, you say 'fuck you' industry for letting me pay this large sum and giving me limited options in return.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I sometimes only buy the cd's of local Latvian artists which I like.
    Supporting fellow Latvians

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

I download all I want. I don't ever buy cds unless it's from a band I really really enjoy and would gladly give up my hard earned cash in return for what I get out of it. I also support local music as well. I'm a musician, and speaking from my personal experience and my opinion.. I didn't get into music as a career choice... I got into music because it's a way to express myself. I love jamming with my friends and doing recordings and such. I love showing people what we've done too, I get a big rush when I know that someone was affected by something I was a part of. The second I demanded money for what I've shared, I will personally slap myself. Granted, I wouldnt' turn it down, but I wouldn't come after someone if they didn't think they should. Damn, I mean 20 bucks. 20 bucks for a single cd. With all of the music I listen to I'd be severely in debt. No, I'm not going to pay for all the music I download. If the music industry burns and crumbles, you'll hear me cheering, because NO, it does NOT mean the end of music... it would mean breathing room for a suffering art. The only musicians left standing would be the ones with true passion for what they do. How is this bad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.