browser issue??? not sure.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by aenigma, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aenigma Registered Member

hello..I have an issue with my win98SE puter. Not sure if it is browser related or something else. Here is the issue. I have IE 6 and got notification of the patches..blah blah blah and downloaded them. Now, if I go into my e mail (outlook express or my yahoo mail) I click to open one of my e mails, it opens fine, but if I try to click on any link in that e mail, I get the new window up but it is smaller than the previous one. If I try to enlarge it, it enlarges but half the text is cut off to the size of the window before I maxed it. It doesn't load either. It looks like a snapshot actually of the same page I was on to begin with. This happens if I am surfing the net too. I can't click onto anything to open it. It just hangs. I have tried to download the critical updates that I am getting now and it gets to the download point and stops. It will not download. I have it set to download etc. I checked all of that out. I have my security set to the lowest point I can to see if that helped and nope. I have cookies enabled, I am not sure what the issue is. I am not for sure but I think this started a couple weeks ago. I have tried uninstalling IE, outlook etc and re installing it but to no avail. If anyone knows why it is doing this or what I can do to fix it...I would be so appreciative. I have also scanned for viruses etc..at housecall (trendmicro) and I am clean. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks a bunch in advance.Oh also..I am behind a firewall, but everything comes up on my other two computers, one of which is an xp and one is a laptop with windows98se. The firewall is through my router. Aenigma.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Have you compressed your mail folders? The problem could be that your running out of free space on your harddrive, this can cause a number of glitches with alsorts of programs, like Outlook express and Words (sometimes it leaves what seems to be loose pixels on the screen).

The fix for that is just to try and keep about 400mb free on your harddrive. (Maybe even manage the Swap drive to another larger/emptier drive).

The other possibility I can think of is MSN messenger, you might be having problems with it trying to logon, perhaps collecting mail at the same time. This might cause a hang.

(You can turn off MSN from inside Outlook express (TOOLS -> MSN Messenger -> Options -> Preferences : Untick all in under General.)

This will stop it running in the background and loading up with windows.

You can also stop your mail from automatically downloading from POP accounts, this aids too.

One last main thing, Do you delete anything from your C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder? (This is where windows puts files you use to install new programs.)

What can occur is if you don't clean the folder, you can have a portion of a different installation being used when you install leading to bugs in the programs you install.

It's safe to delete the files inside the TEMP folder. You can even delete the files before you reboot during the setting of an installation, this is because your SWAP FILE will be used to house the data an installation puts forwards for boot up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. aenigma Registered Member

reply to stryderunknown

Hello..thank you for replying to me about this issue. Ok, I do not have MSN messenger. I got rid of that long long long ago. I only use yahoo messenger. I have 20.0 Gigs of free space on my hard drive left. My system resources are at 75% free. I have my browser set to delete cookies and such after I close the browser. I also use First Aid 2000 and window washer to get rid of other files, I also go in manually to make sure they are all gone. I defrag faithfully once a week. I only have a few things running on startup etc. This started after I downloaded that service pack that I got the notification about a couple weeks ago. It has behaved erratically ever since. As for the pixel thing you mentioned..I am not sure what you mean by that, but I think I probably didn't explain myself very well. It isn't pixels, it's a whole window..lol. See if I can explain better..bear with me as it is kinda hard to describe. Ok, if I click onto like the url you sent me in my e mail to get back to this forum. I click, it brings up another window on top of my e mail window but it looks just like I drew a box on the screen. I can see everything beneath it and it is the same as what you sent. I enclosed a screen shot of it also so that you could see what I mean. If you have any other ideas on this, let me know..Oh yes..I also delete out my temp folder every couple days and had done that just last night also. Thanks a bunch. Enigma.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aenigma Registered Member

i forgot something..

sorry..forgot to tell you also, this happens when i surf the net as well as when i am in my e mail. i can't get into some of the games on yahoo anymore either. if it was something i had gone to before, then i can but if it is a new game, then i can't. weird. ok..that's all i can think of. thanks again. Enigma.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I would question how much RAM you have. I've seen that sort of glitch pop up on my machine and a WinME machine, both times it was related to lack of RAM. (well on this machine it was failing P100 RAM, that had gone bad while the ME system was just lacking RAM to begin with.)

There is the possibility that a DLL file that is suppose to be updated hasn't, and that could be causing the glitch.
    (Probably Rnaapp, [Remote Network Access Application])

http://www.the-it-mercenary.com/forums/Help/posts/3108.html

You have to note that Win98(SE) isn't at all very good with it's memory management, therefore the bug is probably just caused by "Buffer Overflow".

This is a useful tool that will recover memory when you want it to be recovered. (I use it when I'm playing Baldur's gate for ages, as my 768Mb of RAM gets choked up and the computer locks after 5-8 hours)

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

Other tools that might be of aid (if the links work)
    http://hardware.webcab.co.uk/downloads/util.shtml

9. SanDolphin61 Registered Senior Member

cache?

Have you tried clearing your cache?
    My browser will start acting up badly especially when on games at Yahoo or Pogo if the cache is full.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.