can an ip address b traced?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by jvonthenet, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvonthenet Registered Member

plz........i need help bad.....can an ip address b traced?

okay guys this 1s my 1st time in here n i need help real bad! theres this person whom i trusted n made a deal with.....now the catch is that all i got is his email address at hotmail's! i ve sent him quite a few mails but theres been no response at all n now i m gettin scared..... is there ne way by which i can trace his ip address usin his email address 2 know where he is?.........he told me the country where he lives but i doubt that 2 now......plz ne1 who can help me........this 1s a real serious thing 4 me......thanx

Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. odin Registered Senior Member

Send me $2000 & I will tell you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Odin,

But it's so difficult you'd be undercutting yourself over it for $2000, why not $20,000????

As for finding an IP out, well there are many ways of doing it but if you really wanted to know you wouldn't be writing here questioning about how, you'd be pulling some files on the subject and if you don't know how try a search on "How to search for files".

Just a note... A majority of Net people aren't worth believing, So don't give them any information about yourself unless your prepared for the consequences.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jvonthenet Registered Member

plz help.. i need it bad

very funny odin but if i did have that kind of money i would ve galdly given it 2 u....theres somethin more important at stake here....i m really worried over what i ve done....
    and stryder i dont ve knowledge but i do need help real bad.......if u can help me out....plz do it.....theres not much more than a thanx i can offer right now.....but i ll always keep ur favor in mind

8. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

try contacting hotmail, and ask that his ip b e traced after he did whatever he did. u can then use his ip to contact his isp, and they can help u from there. (i cant rremeber quite how, u'd have to ask someone else on exactly how hehe)

9. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Short answer, no. Web based mail will have an originating IP address of the web server, Hotmail in this case. If you've been burnt financially your best bet is to contact your local police and Hotmail. BTW, it's too easy to put false details into your Hotmail account so chances are you'll never find out who this really was.

10. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

Have you ever gotten an email from this person to your hotmail address or any address at all? If you have it's pretty easy to trace.Another thing you might want to check is if the person has the hotmail address setup for MSN messenger. If so they MAY have a profile with valid info....it might be worth a try.

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

Yes the IP can be traced very easily.Has that person emailed you before?if yes then you could look at the header of the message and this will tell you most of the story.here's what i got for you:

Received: from alpha.netvision.net.il (alpha.netvision.net.il [194.90.1.13]) by cmx.netvision.net.il (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id CAA15313 for victim@victim.com>; Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:49:59 +0300 (IDT)
    Received: from some.hostname.crap.com (some.hostname.crap.com [62.0.146.225]) by alpha.someone.com (8.9.3/8.8.6) with SMTP id CAA15313 for victim@victim.com; Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:55:46 +0300 (IDT)
    Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:55:46 +0300 (IDT)
    Message-ID: <199907092355. CAA15313@alpha.someone.com>
    X-Authentication-Warning: alpha.someone.com: some.hostname.crap.com [62.0.146.225] didn't use HELO protocol
    Subject: Fake mail
    X-Mozilla-Status: 8001
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
    X-UIDL: 3752da3b000002ff

Yeehaw! Look at all those numbers and letters and shiny things!
    Let's start from the top, shall we?

Received: from alpha.someone.com (alpha.someone.com [194.90.1.13]) by cmx.someone.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id CAA16970 for >; Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:49:59 +0000 (GMT)

Okay, so the mail was received from alpha.someone.com (alpha.someone.com [194.90.1.13]). What does that mean?
    A quick checkup on InterNIC(25)'s databases (type 'whois alpha.someone.com' without the quotes on a Unix system or download SamSpade for Windows at www.samspade.org) reveals that it is owned by someone.com. This is probably some kind of a sub-server they use to send mail. Let's leave it alone, it's not important to us right now. The (alpha.someone.com [194.90.1.13]) part shows you the hostname(10) and the IP address (9) of the server the Email was sent from.
    Ooh, ooh, wait! Wasn't the mail supposed to be sent from microsoft.com? I mean, the sender is bgates@microsoft.com!
    If we did the mail forging thing on microsoft.com instead of on someone.com this wouldn't have happened, now would it? It would have seemed like an ordinary Email... from Bill Gates... well, at least so far.
    Anyway, the rest is just the MID (which we will get to later) and the date of the message (the sending date) according to the server which the message was sent from. The +0000 (GMT) part means that it was sent from the Greenwich time zone. If it was sent, for example, from the +0200 time zone it would have meant that this time zone's time is actually Greenwich time plus 2 hours. Find our your time zone first so you'll be able to switch time zones and find out when was the message sent in your time.
    Now, on to more important things.

Well, I guess this line is obvious... let's move on.

Received: from some.hostname.crap.com (some.hostname.crap.com [62.0.146.225]) by alpha.someone.com (8.9.3/8.8.6) with SMTP id CAA15313 for victim@victim.com; Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:55:46 +0300 (IDT)

Okay, now this is really interesting. Now we get the sender's hostname and IP address.
    Note about the hostname: a dial-up(31) user will have a long and twisted hostname. For example: my hostname right now (at least when I was writing these lines) is RAS4-p97.hfa.netvision.net.il. Netvision.net.il is my ISP, and the rest is mostly crap (pay close attention to the hfa thing. Hfa stands for Haifa, which is my home town. It means that I'm connected through Netvision's Haifa server. See? Hostnames can be interesting).
    You must have noticed by now that the hostname we got is certainly not from microsoft.com, and that the mail server who sent this isn't exactly microsoft.com or a microsoft sub-domain(26) either, which clearly shows that this Email is completely fake.
    Another note about the hostname: sometimes you might not get a hostname, but you will always get an IP address. You can find the IP's hostname (most IP addresses do have a hostname) by doing 'nslookup ip-address' without the quotes on a Unix system or going to http://www.samspade.org and using their DNS(17) Lookup Tool. If you still can't get it, try doing a whois.
    To overcome this problem, you need to do two things:
    1) Send this mail from Microsoft's Sendmail server.
    2) Send this mail from an account that is connected to the web through Microsoft. If you can't get one, it will clearly show in the headers that the mail wasn't sent from Microsoft.

Note: nice trick to pull on someone: if your ISP is blah.com, you can send your friends an Email from admin@blah.com which will look 100% authentic!

bye!

12. jvonthenet Registered Member

thanx...but

thanx a lot 4 tryin 2 help guys

.......but i ve nvr recieved a mail frm that person........i ve been the 1 whos bn doin the mailin

13. jvonthenet Registered Member

thanx

thanx 4 ur help guys....but i couldnt get it....... i think i ll take things as they come

14. kaduseus melencolia I Registered Senior Member

Tut Tut.....
    Shouldn't send your nude photo's to people you know.
    If they're nude pictures of your girlfriend... can you send them me as well.
    If they're the webcam footage of me doing sick and perverse things in my dorm, i'm suing... actually I totally don't give a shit.

Really your pretty screwed, just don't do it again, your not dealing with nice old ladies on library computers when you access the internet.

Contacting hotmail staff is your best bet and ask them for their help.

15. Vacui Registered Senior Member

start=>run> type "command" => tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

16. jvonthenet Registered Member

rotten egg

ok kaduseus lemme clarify that its not 1 of ur family members u r talkin bout...thats the kind of thing associated with ur ilk n kin.......n just 4 ur damn time if u cant appreciate others probs atleast keep ur aperture shut b4 some1 drives somethin really nasty up it enjoy ur dorm u gonna spend ur life there

17. Vacui Registered Senior Member

ivonthenet,
    "human" like you is outthere called lam*r.
    Dont say that word when your momma is nearby because she will kick you in your dirty l*me ass.

18. jvonthenet Registered Member

this 1s 4 u vacui

ok vacui thanx on both counts...tracert does not work 4 emails.....n comin 2 humans like me..... if u wld like sendin ur gal's nude pics 2 kaduseus.......go ahead....i can do w/o garbage talk of that kind

19. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

Re: plz........i need help bad.....can an ip address b traced?

There is not solution to that problem. It is impossible to trace as if you were using the yellow pages. A hotmail account can be called from any pc, at internet cafés, at airport customer services internet terminals, at a borrowed PC from a friend, a PC at college, etc. etc. In few words, getting the IP a lone gent’s you no where.
    Please do not believe otherwise, not even for a cent.

If the target is intelligent, he didn’t registered at hotmail from a traceable PC, and also with fake information. If he is really my type, he/she probably use frequently anonymous servers were several dozens of IMAC and servers are exchanged every few minutes making tracing extremely difficult, and if he/she is a pro. He/she will be using a innocent server from another continent.

If you send me a PM indicating me your true problem, there could be other ways to skin the cat.
    Good luck, and don’t worry. No matter how bad it is, it isn’t worse then the shit Bush is in!!

20. jvonthenet Registered Member

thanx

thanx a lot microzoft n evry1 else.....there still r helpful guys out here.......sorry 4 ne crap thats bn xchanged.....but laughin at others expense isnt xactly my kinda humor.....if the probs really bad i ll pm u microzoft.....thanx a lot 4 bein a cool dude

21. kaduseus melencolia I Registered Senior Member

Joe, I did make a serious comment, if your offended i'm so sorry, you must be really stressed to take it like you did.

IF you have never received an email back from the person you have been emailing then you can't trace the ip address.
    The mails you have been sending get sent to a server not a person, the server is owned by hotmail so at this point in time you can only trace the hotmail server, which is no good to you.

I suggest 2 things:-
    1. get in touch with hotmail staff.
    2. set up a number of other email addresses and try to coax the person to reply to messages that aren't related to your problem.

One question, which you may not like to answer, is, how do you know the mail was received and read, my mailbox is sent to exclusive and only people I know or take the time to find out how to contact me can contact me.
    What country are they in? (don't say nigeria)

22. Microzoft Registered Senior Member

I certainly hope is not Nigeria, so many naïve people have fall for that one that even the CIA has published an action letter telling the public the real scam behind that dream of becoming millionaire.

23. jvonthenet Registered Member

kadeseus pipe of peace

thanx 4 ur concern kad.....i m really sorry myself 4 reactin the way i did....but ya i was a bit loco ovr that 1....by the way i know that person's read my mail coz i mailed 1ce while he was still round chats n he himself said he recieved my mail.....by the way i do ve mails from some friends on hotmail...but all i can c even from their mails is their email addr in 'from' n a +0 time zone.....actually its just that i ve given this person literally my postal address....i just fell 4 his sob story....n suddenly i got this sick feelin that maybe i played a sucker to the T.....but again....mayb theres no harm done.....n relax.....nigerias outta scope

.....n 1ce again guys thanx a lot 4 showin such a lotta concern.....n my sincere sorrys 2 u kads.....lets smoke a pipe of peace on this 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.