Printer Problems.....

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tallguy, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

Hi everybody. I'm having problems with my printer. It's a Lexmark X75 All-in-one. It has a scanner, copier, and printer. All the functions are working except the printer. It was working one day and not the next. My roommate had used the computer earlier and I knew this cuz windows shows the last person who logged in. He said he didn't do anything and I don't think he did.... But.... I dunno......:bugeye: It suggested to check cables and such, but if everything else works, I don't understand why that would be a problem. I checked them anyway and they're okay. (it communicates via a usb cable). It's saying the printer cannot communicate with the computer. (I find it odd that the information is going that direction.....) Anyway, I have uninstalled the drivers, erased all the printer types and stuff, and reinstalled everything and it still don't work. Actually, I lied above when I said everything else works.... The copier uses the printer, so that doesn't work either. All I got with it is a scanner. The computer seems to be treating the machine as 3 seperate peripherals, there's a driver for each. I'm baffled on this one, can anybody help?

btw- My computer has the following:

256 Meg Ram
    60 Gig drive
    400 mhz celeron
    usb v1

And I unloaded all unnecessary programs from memory just to see if there was a conflict. There was none I could find.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

A similar thing happened to me.

Apparantly, the drivers were installed wrongly the first time around, and now the only way to get your printer working is to reinstall windows (with no guarantee that it will fix anything). Or at least that's what I was told. --I've been to lazy to do it.

Good luck

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

This is why I hate Lexmark with a passion. I used to work for Radio Shack and we sold the all in one printers for lexmark. One customer had me make 4 house calls to fix his printer because it just wouldn't work. After 2 replacement printers and 2 months later it worked (mind you I left the job so who knows how many times more he needed it fixed). What really amazed me was the amount of junk that the Lexmark install disk actually put on the computer. It even had a replacement for Outlook, DUN and used up an incredible amount of resources, and without any way to prevent it from installation or uninstall it later it was just a huge pain.

A year later and I use an espon C42UX ($50 printer) after my previous printer (a lexmark) broke down. Ohhhh Lexmark and Compaq are the worst computer manufacturers EVER. I definately feel sorry for each companies support staff.

As for some help...download the driver from the lexmark webpage. They tend to put the barebone drivers on their website so you shouldn't have all that other crap interfering. That way you are also able to get the most updated drivers, which means less bugs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

TESTIFY:

I can believe you about all that extra "crap" lexmark puts on my computer. It took 3 minutes to install the driver and I have a pretty fast hard drive. And when you press CTRL-ALT-DEL, you get a "Close Program" box. There are 4 items used by the printer in that box. But I thought Lexmark was of the higher quality. Don't they make printers for IBM (with IBM's name on it, of course)? I always see them listed together like Lexmark/IBM. I guess I got one of the higher end printers; It was $150. I saw a Z21 at Wal-Mart for $28. It came with two printer cartridges, each normally cost $34. It makes me kinda mad they're making massive markup on the print cartridges. It seems the printer should cost at least $100 for them to make even a small profit. I thought about reinstalling Windows, that usually fixes anything for me, but it takes sooooooooo long. I have a lot of other things that would need reinstalled as well. But first I will try to download a new driver, the I will reinstall Windows. Thanks for your help.

8. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

Yeah my epson printer costs about as much as 1 cartridge....and the printer itself comes with two of them. If I didn't know that the cartridges out of the box are normally garbage I would probably by replacement printers everytime I ran out of ink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.