Hackers:Organized Cyber Crime Gangsters?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Rick, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hackers call themselves proudly being employed by companies for reasons we all know.Isnt this same as Organized Cyber Vandalism?...

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Decide how to stance it Zion.

There is a little hacker in all I.T. lit people, it might just be a little tweak in a programs setting that was a bit special in comparison to a normal setting, or someone might have forgotton something as simple as a screensaver password.

Corporate Hackers might have some recruits that use to be "Black hat", but there is a few that never crossed that threshold. The problem is though they still have to stay in the loop with whats going on, otherwise as an Admin of a network they would be open to new attacks.

This is where the "Black hats" have done some footwork already.

The main thing at the end of the day is what do Corporates offer "Hackers". Being paid to do something you enjoy doing, As much new fangled equipment as the Corporate has budget for, and in the most portion you get to Attack systems that you don't get reprisals for doing so (Just a big pay rise)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

Umm...what is that Threshold BTW...?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bye!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aether Registered Member

I hate to post something I didn't write but I think this says it's better than I could, and did try to say it.
    "Once upon a time, there was a wide area network called the Internet.

A network unscathed by capitalistic Fortune 500 companies and the like.

Then someone decided to de-regulate the Internet and hand it over to the "big
    boys" in the telecommunications industry. "Big boys" like SprintNet, MCI, AT&T,
    and the like. Now we all know how this story ends - Capitalist Pig Corporation
    takes control of a good thing, and in the ever-so-important-money-making-general-
    scheme-of-things, the good thing turns into another overflowing cesspool of greed.

So, we got pissed.

The ILF is a small, underground organization of computer security experts. We
    are capable of penetrating virtually any network linked to the Internet - ANY
    network.

So read this VERY carefully.

The ILF has now declared war on any company suspected of contributing to the
    final demise of the Internet. If you fit into any of the above mentioned
    categories of disgust, FEAR US.

Better yet, take an axe to your petty f---ing firewall machine before WE do.

Just a friendly warning Corporate America; we have already stolen your proprietary
    source code. We have already pillaged your million dollar research data. And if
    you would like to avoid financial ruin, then heed our warning and get the f---
    out of dodge.

Happy Thanksgiving Day Turkeys,

-Internet Liberation Front, November 1994"

While currently hackers and corporates are not currently at odds with each other I think that in the end only one or the other can exist, because they are two completely different world views.

Hacker "information should be free, technology is always good"

Corporate "information should be controled as to monopolise it, technology is only good if it makes us money if it costs us money it should be illegal"

So if hackers can coexist with corporates and get some money and experience, make the internet a little freer from the inside I appluad it, but sooner or later the corporations are going to learn how to train and develop non-hacker it. And this will end the "Organized Cyber Vandalism" as you state it. Is it extortion, yes, it is illegal no, it is moral yes. It's gonna be illegal real soon.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I quoted that because although everybody should be allowed the right to have an Education or Educate themselves, there are still problems with defining "Information".

"Information" like a written work or scientific backgrounding on a subject to better your understanding is one thing, the problem is that "Information" can be used as a TOOL, a very destructive tool for Political agendas or Career advancement.

Hacking for information, The arguement that is used by hackers is that if the information isn't "Freely available" it's "hacked for".

Point here is the information that is usually hacked. It's not documents that have been hidden by the church because it contradicts their religion, or other information that might be relevant from a historical prospective, but information like "Where you live, what your bank account details are and how much you earn."

This in itself is an invasion of privacy, should such details be allowed to be "free" because they are "information"?

Such Activistic Tones of "Free Information" probably root from the 1970's, when people didn't want to be "Lied to".

Not the whole "get rich quick" information exchanges that some hacking premotes today.

Recent political trends have even tendered that "Too much information freely available is dangerous in the wrong hands".
    [e.g. "Knowledge is Power"]

[BTW, Anyone seen a Jolly Rodger "Anarchist Guide" on the net, those things just prove a point. That doesn't mean you should go looking for a source of such a guide.]

Conclusion:
    You should not be lied to.
    You should be allowed to study
    but you shouldn't be allowed to use what you learn for "Crime".
    (i.e. Fraud, Blackmail, Terrorism etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.