America's Homeless

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dwayne D.L.Rabon, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Dwayne D.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Well we all have seen them on the street, heard about them on the news, where they fight to sleep in abandon buildings ect....
    the homeless in america are a issue, the private sector donates more than 360 million dollars, the goverment more, overall the homeless issues totals well over a billion dollars a year, with some 2 million or so homeless people, including children.
    with the billion dollars provided to the homeless people it seem that the money never gets to these people, as if they where marketed by assitance organizations, organized crime, shelters ect... it demonstrates that enough money has been placed to see things well tkaen care of for the homeless, however the money never get there and the situation remains piss poor.
    it would appear also that state run homes for children suffer from the same abuse problem, people that use the resources that are provided for those abandoned children for there own gain, and fail to provide any structure for such children. this also occures in the homes for the elderly, and those payed to take care of the eldery.
    homelessness creates a contiuned umprepardness in the person trying to escape from such degregation, as well paranoia to enviroment. this makes it easy pickens for those that can take advantage of there situation, providing little, and raking in the profits from donations and city and county funding, it would not surprise me if this was a way that goverment officals embezel money from the city and county goverment.

Really what is with the homeless situation, are we running concentration camps in america in the year 2003.

DWAYNE D.L.RABON

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Well since I work for a drug rehabilition/homeless shelter - I guess Ill give it a shot. There is money that is provided for homeless people from the government as well as the private sector. I do not know the exact figures but running a homeless shelter is not cheap. We have 6 staff members salaries to pay, food, rent for the shelter as well as other services we provide. (ie bus passes, clothes and extra expenses) We opened our shelter 4 years ago when the homeless problem was not a huge deal here. In 3 years time, the clientele more that quadrupled. We were feeding over 300 people a day. Twice a day. Thats 600 meals. The clientele never swayed and the people were becoming regulars. We were getting homeless people from over 100 miles away coming here just for our services. We finally had to close its doors a few months back due to the fact that the problem was not getting better, but getting worse.
    Now not to put down homeless people but I had to work for the last 2 years with them. They rarely wanted services for jobs, they wanted money. They didnt care about fixing a resume, finding professional clothes or taking classes to better themselves. They wanted money. 90 or so percent were already getting money from Welfare or SSI. They qualified for low income housing, yet never wanted to come meet the social workers. There was a few instances that a person came in and really wanted to get better and get off the streets - but those were far and in between. One of main problems I noticed at my homeless shelter, was that there was no plan in place. You came here, ate, showered, used the phone, checked your mail and left. There was no guidelines or timelines set in place. These people would not leave. And then they would come yell at me for not giving them a bus pass or for not sharing my lunch with them. Like it was my fault they were homeless. I understand that sometimes people find themselves in bad situations with no one to help. But thats not the impression I got from the majority of the homeless that I dealt with. Shit, my mother was homeless for 2 years before her accident. Not once did she call for help in finding a job or finding an apartment - she only called for money for beer. So Im not only talking about working with these people, I actually got to know alot personally (because of my mom) - and none of them has any interest in getting better. I think our homeless situation needs a serious make-over. If we are feeding them, make them work for it. Make them find jobs, or get them on the proper disability or into the proper rehabilition center. But dont just throw them money and not expect anything in return. We see the same situation in Africa. We keep giving them aid, yet it never gets any better - it gets worse. We need a plan and we need it now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jps Valued Senior Member

Many of the Nation's homeless used to be in mental institutions before Reagan cut the funding and threw them out. These people may well be incapable of getting jobs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Ya, I know this. Most of them are bi-polar or manic depressive. Thats what they get disability for, thats why they qualify for lowincome housing, and thats why were here trying to help them. They dont want the help were providing, they want money for drugs or alcohol. They dont want treatment or assistance, just money. Trust me on this, not all of them though, but most.

8. John Mace Registered Senior Member

stRgrL:

Very interesting post. I think a lot of "bleeding heart" types are unwilling to recognize the truth that you see on a daily basis. You can only do so much to help someone, and if they are unable or unwilling to help themselves maybe the best you can do is take care of them like children. I think it is critical, though, to start at an early age and require presonal responsibility. Some patterns that grow over a long period of time are almost impossible to break.

9. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Britain has homeless as well, and yet we take in refugees and give them homes free health care and help to start a new life, WHY? we can not even look after our own people, kets give our own homeless a job and a home and free health care, they get the free ride and it is the tax payers that have to pay. a friend of mine lived on the streets for a while, not of his own accord, he had a job and a home and wife, but the bitch screwed him, well not him but every one else, so he left to try to get a better life down in the south of england, he made some money and got on his feet, but she was waiting with her asshole of a lover, and together they took him to the cleaners. he lost the lot, but he is on his feet again, and close to a good friend, he works for me, so i helped him, butthere are a lot of others out there that need help, and not these refugees.

10. Grey Seal Guest

they're there for a reason. everyone is where they are for a reason. some do qant to succeed, but that is a very small portion, most of them just take for the sake of having it easy whilse using people and taking advatage of generosity. they ruin it for the rest. shit happens though, in our world it's not going to be perfect, but enough people have it pretty well off for it not to be a problem. if they *really* wanted to help themselves, our society is set up so that they can. i know two homeless guys, not personally, but i see them around and i talked to people that have talked to them. a while ago they used to hang around the library, reading and learning. now they have jobs, they are homeless, and they are shitty jobs, but they're getting somewhere, saving money i'm sure.

bottom line is that in order for it to be successful they have to meet you have way. enough of them don't to make the whole thing a waste of time. a homeless shelter is their permanent home. it *should* be anything but that. if shit happens and they lose their home, they should go to the homless shelter, learn there and take classes, and stay there until they can get back on their feet. the vast majority of them use it as a permanent home and don't inted to better themselves.

best thing to do in my mind is to take their children away from them, sterilize them, and let them die off. the children should be put into foster care, or some type of program to teach them the skills they need, unlearn what they learned from their shitfaced parents and try to prepare them to succeed on their own. maybe even after they are 18, set them up at a junior college and help them get a job or something.

dunno if itd work or how stupid that was, it's just my view on it. i really hate the bullshit though. i also hate them sitting on the fucking side of the road with signs. everyday i see enough ads in the newspaper for small jobs that don't require any work experience. they could be doing that. i'd do that before i begged for anything. the people who come door to door for donations piss me off too. the few scam artists that have the false donations give the rest a bad name.

should just make that a law though. let the shitfaced usless bums die, but try to save their children. the kids have no choice and all they have to follow for example is their good for nothing parents. dont know how hard itd be to break that cycle though.

11. Grey Seal Guest

just read your post blastoff and i agree with ya. hard thing is, is to discern between the free-loaders and the ones that actually want to make it. if i could tell the difference and if it was legal, i'd execute all the freeloaders myself in order to help the rest, and i'd help out the freeloaders' children, set them up right school and everything. hell, i'd kill the freeloaders with my bare hands if i could. i'd enjoy it too.

12. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

I agree, Grey Seal. Call me an insensitive Nazi, but too many of these homeless people are just bums who don't want to work. I wouldn't want to work, either, if I could get free food, money, and housing. They are lost causes, and we might as well just give up on them completely.

The more money we give, the more we attract people to the idea of being homeless. College getting pretty hard? You can always drop out and go on welfare. Stressed out at work? Maybe you're mentally ill, and you should get free money and quit your job. I've idly thought about it myself.

I'd say the best thing is to just cut all the funding to the homeless people, except perhaps for moms with children and maybe some other genuinely struggling people. That would force these freeloaders to work.

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

The woman who lives in the house next to me has no job and 4 kids, 3 different fathers. She just got pregnant again so the government would move her into a bigger house. The scary thing is that her kids are going to lead the same life. Her 14 year old daughter just had an abortion. People like this are the reason I'm against most welfare. She is getting rewarded for having kids that she can't pay for.

And since she doesn't pay for her house, she doesn't respect it at all... the fire department has been out there 4 times in 15 months. She tore down all the blinds in the window. She leaves thefront door open all day, and squirrels and birds go in. And now she'll be getting a bigger house... while I actually work for a living...

14. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

From the posts above, it seems what ever little money filters down to bottomline is also misappropriated by not so genuine beneficiaries. It is time to raise the issue altleast for the sake taxpayers and the really needy people.

15. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

grey seal my mate has told me today that he is going to ask his new girlfriend to get engaged to him now that his ex wife is out of the way. and he has got back on his feet, and you would not be on your own i would help you to to kill the free loaders.

16. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

Heh, I'm pretty surprised no liberals have risen to defend welfare and providing for the homeless.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Yeah, thats what Ive been waiting for...

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I can not and will not defend homeless. Most want money, for drugs. I have no problem with helping some one who wants help and is willing to work to get out of their situtation. I am not willing to help those who want a free handout and nothing more.

I have opened my house to a select few, down on their luck by circumstance and willing to work if they can just find a way. I will not do that for someone looking for a freebee.

Why should I support someone who only looks for a way to rip you off before looking for the next?

As far as one who wants food and doesn't want to work to get it, let the sucker starve...

19. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

This is so true.

20. postoak Registered Senior Member

Let's at least get the history right. Reagan didn't turn the homeless out of mental institutions. This was done in the early 1970's by the LEFT -- which wanted to mainstream the mentally ill. Movies like "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" typified the feeling of the bleeding hearts at the time.