Connecting TV to PC

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Xerxes, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Hi,

A bunch of friends and I have begun work on a movie. We're recording using a standard Hi-8 analog camcorder. Now, originally, we had thought that the camcorder could be directly connected to the computer via USB, where we would then record and edit the video.

Problem:
    My camcorder does not have a port for the USB devide as originally thought (yay). Soooo, I'm trying to figure out how to connect the TV/VCR (whatever I can) to my computer where I can record the video and then edit it digitally and use it as a digital file. I've looked across the internet and can't figure out how this is possible. Though with the technology we have these days, I have to assume it really is possible. Do any of you know how to get my analog video into a digital file on my computer?

-Many thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

It is very possible, but you will be sad to hear it is not cheap... I do lots of video editing myself, just made a movie that was 6 hours long

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. First you're gunna need to buy a capture card. It will take all the normal wires, not usb, but composite, etc... These are usually somewhere around 200$. That's all you'll need for basic editing and such. I went all out and bought a DVD burner to burn my movies to. That cost me over 700$... But all you really need is a capture card. Wintv is one I used to have... Now I use an ATI All-In-Wonder which is both a graphix card (for gaming) and capture card (for video capturing) in one.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, notme2000.

I was waiting for somebody to refute your claim, but unfortunately nothing.

Now the thing is, I can afford the wires, but I don't think I'd be willing to go out and spend any amount of money on something unnecessarily complicated as a capture card (stupid little Ghandi teachings I'm trying out). So I wonder, would it be possible to:
    A) Edit my movie on the VCR - using a computer connected to an out cable on my comp?
    B) Use my GeForce TI-420 64MB graphics card to..umm unravel the video?
    >?
    >?
    >?

-Thanks in advance for any information you can provide me!

P.S. I just recieved word from a cl0se friend that his father might have the technology to capture video from a VHS into the computer, and then burn it onto a CD. Crossing my numerous fingers, toes, and other appendages, but that will be a last resort since I think very little of my friends step-Dad. He's a bit of a lost person...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Not that I'm aware of. When I was younger and short for cash I used to do my video editing with 2 VCRs and a playstation (for over-dubbing audio). Let's just say the final product wasn't very pretty... All in all, the best, if not only, solution is a capture card. You can watch cable tv on your computer, hook up a vhs to your comp, record stuff from your comp to vcr and, of course, vice versa. You can set up timers to record your favorite tv shows, etc... And when it comes down to video editing nothing beats a computer video editing program (might I recomend Ulead Videostudio 6). If you DO find another way, please inform me!

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

The capture card sounds really cool. I might look into it after all. BUT - I think I've found an alternative.

I'll explain:

Last year I entered a contest on the internet. Now, a few month's later I got a letter in the mail. Remembering the contest, I looked at sendee and it hit me. I WON. well, I thought I had one a trip to the NHL all start game (In LA) for four with spending money and accomodations. But, what I had really one was satellite T.V. with a receiver and dish. I feel almost spoiled to admit the dissapointment I experienced after winning a $700 dollar price (as opposed to a 10 000 dollar one). Either way, we had satellite TV for a while.

Anyways, I"m not completely sure, but I think the receiver works by descrambling digital satellite signals into analog ones. If I can reverse the process and feed the digital information into my computer, I think I might be able to record analog A/V at the cost of connector cables. Iffy, but possible.

Either way, I'm now stuck with four options:
    1) Get my friends dad to convert it to digital media if he has the tech. (A good and bad thing - I don't know if I trust the mans skills or character.)
    2) Use my two VCR"s and playstation like you did (not so good idea, hehe).
    3) Go out and buy a capture card. ( I Know a few good shops - plus, my parents might be willing to chip in if it they like the idea of recording shows to the computer).
    4) Use the reciever (iffy).

The best options are probably 1 or 3. I'm seriously considering both right now.

What you might be inerested in is a program that I found on the internet. It allows you to use a regular CD burner to make SVCD's (china's media standard) that will play on most DVD's and comps (?). If you want the link I'll provide.

-Elbaz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.