i have a 'hacking' story for you guys

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Sir Aristrotle, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

First hand hacking story that envolves me and two friends of mine, basicly we got caught because I done something stupid, fully aware of what I had done. its pretty sad/funny/bad, I'll post it if you guys agree not to dig into me about how stupid it was to do.
    Its a pretty instesting tale though, about how poorly my school network is protected.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Sure, go ahead.

Speaking of school networks, me and some friends once used NT's 'net send' command to send answers to eachother during a test, then a couple days later he wondered what would happen if he typed in 'net send WCINST' (our domain) and sent a message to every computer on the network, they still haven't locked out the cmd prompt

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Common!! Tell us. Hacking isn't that bad. It can be used in a very positive manner.

I doubt that anybody browsing computer science forum would feel the need to criticize...computer science. Infact, most of us would probably commend you for keeping the tradition alive and rebuffing awareness of computer safety in schools. You know you want too

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

This is probably along the same lines of Aristrotle's story...but I tell it better.

I got a nice little tidbit of a story, me and a friend (who so happens to be nebula) went around searching on the internet a couple of years ago for a password lister that could be used on a Novell network (our school network). Getting around novell proved to be as simple as downloading a utility that listed all of the accounts on the network that had the username the same as the pass.

Once we got the utility we looked around a bit, tested out the accounts, and sure enough they worked. In my school we had two TV's setup at the front of the class so that the teacher could show the students what to do on the computers. One time our admin had accidently left the TV's on when he was logging into the super user account allowing us to view the username "haintech". We couldn't figure out the password because it was all in astericks. We eventually got back to our utility, found out haintech was one of the accounts, and within minutes we had access to every students files in the school. Needless to say we were killing ourselves laughing at our admin for having such a ridiculous password.

*hint* For all you admins out there, make sure the password is different than the username.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Noting that about, you'll have to understand there are an awful amount of computer systems with a Username

assword which are exactly the same.

There are multiple reasons for this:

1: At installation a default was entered

2: At installation a lazy Sysop decided it would be easier to remember

3: Somebody else installed it for the Sysop to "Learn" how to use and gave him a temporary password that he's been too lazy or dumb to alter.

The dumbest things hackers have done in the past can be mentioned from:

Turning your USER account into a SUPERUSER privileged account, and not locking Admin out. (So they can see who's suddenly gained a Privilege level).

Output a Flame/Spam that you've spoofed, only to find it returns because your e-mail has Return-Path: from your true access point.

Messaging around the internet complaining that a tool doesn't work properly or you can't use it. (Tools are usually made by handymen for a job they are doing, and they don't usually concern themselves with writing vast helpfiles to aid people in learning their "art")

Creating a handle on the net and using it with everything you do, supplying e-mail addresses and Website addresses and expecting to still be in business when the day is out.

Adding in "Extra Information:" of your USER account, "1'|\/| 4 |_337 |-|4x0r!"

By all the Dumbest thing is:
    Releasing a Virus onto a network system to try and destroy all the LOGS and records that have been made about your bungled access. (This is when you don't get classed as a hacker, but a Cyber-Terrorist)

9. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

Damn, I lost the text again. I accidently hit the back button on my intellimouse and it looses the fucking text. FUCK, shit, forget it.

10. Ender Registered Senior Member

my hacking experiences:

I'm sure many of you have read the book the Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnich.

Its all about social enginngering and controlling the "human element"

But one day i decided that i just wanted to get into the teacher network. Some of my friends said that i couldn't. Tehy had al ltried through some hacking programs and stuff like that. So i bet that at the end of December i would have acess to a teachers account... wich i then could use to manipulate the other teachers to giving me thier passwords.

So one day i called my Gym teacher at his house the call went something like this:

me: Hello is this a Mr. Jimmy Carter?
    him: Yes, who is this?
    me: This is hank Williams (not my real name Duh!). I work with Mrs. Roskowski (the IT person at my school). We are mking a database of all the teachers usernames and passwords.
    him: why?
    me: Because many teachers have lost thier accounts because of forgotten password, you know after a long weekend or soemthing. So if you cold just do me a quick favor, "What is your UserName?"
    him: umm.... JCarter
    me: ok thats what we have here. Have you changed your default password?
    him: no i don't think so
    me: ok (pause) i was looking through the files, how do you spell your name?
    him: C-A-R-T-E-R
    me: well i don't see your file, if you could tel lme your password i could go write up a file then we would be able to help you if you forgot it:
    him: ok its fisherman12
    me: i'm sorry can you spell that for me"
    him: f-i-s-h-e-r-m-a-n-1-2
    me: great Call me if you ever need anything: bye (hangs up)

my friends paied me 50$!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.