Do you work in a lab?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by notPresidentAndrew, Jan 29, 2003.

1. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

I'm a science major who would like to work in a lab one day, but I don't feel like staying in school until I'm 35 and then spending the rest of my life paying off loans. Can you work in a lab with a bachelor's degree? A master's?

Do any of you work in labs? I often fantazize about it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cog Registered Member

Depends on the lab. But most of the time, you can in fact work in a lab with a BA. I assume chemistry or biochemistry could get you into a low level possition at a pharmeceutical lab. There are various degrees that could get you into some medical labs (biology or biopsychology). I dont know about any options with a physics degree, but I bet there are some out there.

The most important part would be to get lab experience through school and use that to get your foot in the door.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

maybe i do, and maybe i don't. i ain't telling.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Christopher Registered Member

You can work in a lab right now to get a feel for it. I lucked out. I'm an undergraduate, and I got a position in the biochemistry labs in first year. I even have my own research project, and am looking towards publication.

I was just lucky though. They just pointed me to a guy that was a new faculty member, and needed some people working to start up his lab. He was more than willing to take me on.

Just knock on doors and ask. You'd be surprised how far you get.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I work in a lab! I started the first few weeks of freshmen year of college! Its been 2 years now and I love my work!

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

if you have your masters you can become a PhD student and then you can basically do whatever you want in a lab, unless your advisor is a dictator.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Nope were UGs and are Prof. is real relaxed. I brought lawn chairs for the lab even.

11. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

there are a lot of little dictators out there. my adisor is very nice, but every once and a while i get an idea for a project that's a little too far from what she wants to do and she gives me a little "well you could do that...". so far it's been ok though. our interest seem to overlap very well.

if that didn't answer the question, yes i work in a lab. I've worked in several cognitive/neuroscience type labs. a couple of the jobs i got basicly because i was the first person to ask.

12. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

All grades of workers work in labs - postdocs, graduates, technicians, craftsmen, etc. Depends rather on what level you want to work at - essentially, do you want to lead the work or not. Some laboratory work is quite mundane.

Cheers,

Ron T

http://www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~rthomson

13. Mike H Registered Member

I worked for about a year after finishing up my undergrad work in my research advisor's lab while applying to graduate schools.

I was lucky, I had my own project as he knew me and trusted me. Most B.S./B.A. lab technicians are not so fortunate, in either industry or academia. I had some scut work to do, but it was because I didn't trust the undergrads in the lab cleaning my glassware and such.

As for staying in school until you're 35, well, depends on what you want to do and how old you are currently. A Ph.D. program in the physical or biological sciences in the U.S. (as I noticed your location in your profile is Illinois) normally takes 5 to 7 years from the averages I recall. After that things depend on what you decide to do from there. I started grad school this year at 24 and am pretty much compelled to finish at the latest by the time I hit 29. Also, it's pretty standard for graduate students in the sciences in the U.S. to be paid to go to graduate school, either through funds from the school/advisor or (preferably) an independent fellowship/scholarship. My tuition and health insurance is paid for where I'm at, the only money I owe is a measly $80 a term for facilities and student activities fees and I get a reasonable stipend, not to mention subsidized off campus housing.

Anyway, I hoped this helped out a bit.

-Mike

14. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

not, hitler again!

i can eat subway sandwiches right by all my little "pets" in the petri dishes...can YOU do that??

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I can! we can even cook stuff with a $5000 laser that burns holes in the wall!

16. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Now that's the start of an interesting thread - what mundane task do you (mis) use an expensive piece of lab equipment for?

I have a $500 lab sample of an exotic metal alloy, holding on the mirror of my 20-year old truck (well, there was a good reason at the time).

Cheers,

Ron.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i use my computer that is meant for heavy graphical work for surfing the net and posting on sciforums. Can't remember what it costs...i didn't pay the bill, but it wasn't your average computer.

18. Fortuna Registered Senior Member

Yes, I do (some of the time)

Yes, some of the time. My title is Sr Process Research Chemist for a Pharmaceutical company. Unfortunately much of the work I have to do anymore is administrative, and I also get involved in the specification, recommendation and purchase of process monitoring equipment. (which is really how I got my start in this business in the first place).

I also pull double duty sometimes as process troubleshooter, when production is having a problem and they need it solved quickly. (Can;t interrupt the revenue stream, god forbid !!)

Yes, I do work in the lab some of the time, but lab techs usually actually perform the experiments and procedures that I outline and design for them and they take the data, analyze it, and report their findings back to me.

If the truth be known we are really bucket organic chemists, who design, implement and monitor manufacturing processes to convert cheap raw materials into cosmetics and meds which the company then sells for obscene profits.

AHhhhh, to work in the lab again and have no administrative worries or hassles and to not have to deal with the politics of the suits. That would be awesome, but a huge step backwards.

Fortuna

19. youngbiologist Registered Senior Member

fortuna

fortuna, not phizer by any chance?

20. Fortuna Registered Senior Member

No

No YB, its not Pfizer, and I probably shouldnt say who, as they might not take kindly to my "obscene profits" remark.

Fortuna

21. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Fortuna

that's why i don't mention the drug company i work for, either. best not to.

22. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

ooo now i'm curious. game of 20 questions?

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

what is it like to work for a company...

i'm currently a PhD student and i feel that i would probably be totally unsuited to work for a biotech company...i like my freedom...