Ban on Human Cloning?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Ender, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Ender Registered Senior Member

What is so wrong with human cloning. I realize that currently its impractile to clone a human because of all of the birth defects.

When the technology is there whats the problem?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Morality is entwined with religion. That is the inherent problem of this matter.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Mace Registered Senior Member

I agree that, if proven safe, there is nothing wrong w/ human cloning. I'd guess that Bush is coming from a religious perspective. You won't find many traditionally religious (Christian) people who would favor cloning. No amount of arguing with someone like this will convince them otherwise.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ender Registered Senior Member

But because we are not there yet they are going to pass a law to ban cloning. This is stupid.

8. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

i think it is more the fact that the thing that make everyone special is the fact we are all different!
    what if someone turned aroun to you and said well actually you lived 50 years ago we just thought we would make you agian to see what you would be like in this day and age, i mean you have no memory of who you were or what you did, but it is you. i mean just thinking about it gives me a head ach what if you were stuck with that problem for the rest of your life i think that is were it is unfair not to any of us just for the baby being born, or reborn i should say

9. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

No, Jolly Rodger, a clone is not a copy of YOU, it is a copy of your body. It's an identical twin, born at a different time. It would have its own thoughts and mind, just like any other person. Truly a sad thing to see a blanket law thrown over what could be promising research. At least other countries can continue on.

10. Jolly Rodger Banned Banned

you would share the same brain with who you are cloned from and if you were presented a cloned baby with the same problems days after they were born i am sure they would replecate the exact same way the origanal baby would have.
    the person and the clone would imagine the same things and work out problems the same way.
    and if it isnt what's the big finding there is no point to pour billions of dollars into the research to do what you can do from a bit of unprotected sex
    imean if it just a copy of your body it would be vain cloning yourself

11. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

How does the technology get perfected if the first 500 babies have birth defects? What do you do with them? Unlike sheep, you cannot kill them for mutton. Who will care for these babies for their lifetime? Not the Raelians that’s for sure! No, it will be you the taxpayer. That is the only problem needed to ban cloning, unless it has some heretofore unknown incredible benefit to the public, which I doubt, since nature makes it obvious that diversity is a key to survival of a species.

I agree with Jaxom that a clone is a twin born at a different time. Twins do not necessarily think alike even when they grow up together.

12. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

You would be as alike as identical twins are alike. Yes, certain behaviourism would be shared, but you couldn't possibly duplicate everything you've done in life exactly the same. So there would be differences.

And you're right, cloning just to have a new you would be a waste. Lots of ethical problems too. How do you, as the older person, share all your experiences so that a part of you continues in the clone? If the objective is to take your mind or brain and transfer it to the clone (as the Raelians seem to have plans to do eventually) is this not murder? A clone is not a mindless body, it is a person.

Now, there are other methods of cloning parts and cells that don't touch these problems. But the ban is on cloning. All cloning. It's like because a certain nuclear plant is problematic, all nuclear research must stop completely. It's not progressive at all.

13. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

vanity, vanity, oh the vanity.

why would ANYONE want a copy of themselves, albeait only of their physical self. Can somebody out there logically justify it to me?

seems a little sad too.

14. Coldrake Registered Senior Member

World's too populated as it is without cloning.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i can think of 2 problems

a) if we do it because a couple cant have kids then we will still have the infertility in the next generation and b) what about people cloning themselves so that they have alabys for crimes?, the DNA would be identical

16. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

while genes are your make-up. arn't alot of things still left to chance... i mean.. HOW those genes will work. (sorry i dont know alot on this subject) but isn't it very possible two have two people with the same genes that look and act different with a few similarities? i mean.. look at the kitten they cloned that looked nothing like the origional.

17. esd Registered Senior Member

Why not ?

18. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

for spare body parts, why else?

19. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Good question. We wouldn't kill them without first spending a trillion debating it. To save money we'd keep them alive at taxpayer expense.

20. MShark Registered Senior Member

The question is:
    Is it ever appropriate for for the government to impose restrictions on scientific research.

If cloning is perfected I really don't think it will have a significant impact on population or will clones have any greater Identity crisis than the rest of us. I would imagine that the only people who would really use cloning are those people who have firtility problems and want a child of their own genitic makeup.

As far as I am concerned it is distasteful but I am sure that someday I will meet a cloned human and they will be every bit as human as the next person.

21. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Nah, scientists should be able to do whatever they want without restriction. The taxpayers should be required to clean up any messes they make.

22. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

23. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

true, every other time science has "perfected" a technology it turns into a weapon or goes wrong somehow...